That space behind the door....

Ted Calver

Staff member
She said can't you do something with it?? This blank wall behind the bathroom door gave us room for some needed shelving in a normally hidden space.
DSC_0999 (Medium).JPG
I don't do much flat work, so this was a test. I just opened up the space between existing studs ....too much trouble to do anything else, framed up a 3/4" mdf box with sides drilled for 1/4" shelf pegs, 1/4" mdf back, one fixed shelf (shelves are 11" x 5-1/4") and the others adjustable.
DSC_1000 (Medium).JPG
Added some door casing and quarter round to let it sit proud of the wall.
DSC_1004 (Medium).JPG
DSC_1008 (Medium).JPG,DSC_1009 (Medium).JPG
The missus is really happy with it. Best of all, the project added a Hitachi 18 gauge brad nailer to the stable. Thanks for looking.

Now that lady is usin' her noggin!!! And you interpreted it nicely!!!
That is a great looking and wonderful use of space for storage. A new tool to boot, well the bonuses for both people are just wonderful! :thumb::thumb:

Ted that is so cool. What a great idea and use of the space.:thumb::thumb:

I will remember that one.

It does look to me like the stud bay is a 2x6 is that correct or is it only optical illusion.

If so is that an exterior wall or how would it be a 2x6 on an internal wall?

I am just thinking on our bathrooms the walls are going to be 2x4 and that aint too deep. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks all for the kind comments!!
Rob...It's an interior wall with 2x4 studs. The shelf box is buried a tad over 4" inside the face of the wall (the width of the stud and surrounding sheet rock) and projects out from the face of the wall almost two inches (the width of the door casing (1-1/4") plus another piece of molding covering the face). With a 1/4" back rabbited in, I had room for 5-1/2" deep shelves, but they looked better at 5-1/4"....more than enough for our bathroom type stuff.