Do we classify bamboo as wood (warning time needed)

Rob Keeble

If you classify bamboo as wood then this is a must site to look at.

There is flatwork (planing and cutting dovetails;), spinny work even segmented turning and yeah Rennie specially for you ebony work.:)

sfo.jpg

On the other hand if you are a trout fisherman this is also a must sight to look at and please dont sue or blame me when your wife divorces you for spending money on your pleasure at this site.

If you have the problem of wanting to spend your money on something you want and cannot or dare not ask the wife then do what this guy did. Perhaps a reno of the kitchen would work.

Read the funny story below and more if you like from the same sites pages of anecdotes over their time at various shows.

Hidden Costs
The young guy and the friends that accompanied him to the show had just finished test casting one of our rods. Every so often during casting he'd look my way and smile, or give a 'thumb's up sign' so I thought we had a sale. Stepping away from the casting pond, the group huddled conspiratorially. I decided to take a walk over and see what was going on.
Just as I arrived I caught the tail end of the conversation and one of the guy's friends said, "we'll hide it in the plumbing."
Hmmmmm. I know that some guys purchase fishing tackle without their wives knowing. As a matter of fact, one of the first mistakes I made as a builder was to call a guy to tell him his rod was ready. His wife answered the phone and asked to take a message and I said, "tell him the rod's done."
We both caught hell.
One cane aficionado we know hides his rod collection in the drop ceiling of the basement, and only takes his rods in and out of his car when his wife is gone. So it was no surprise to me that this guy wanted to hide the rod from his wife, but was curious just how he was gonna stash a rod in the plumbing of his house.
They quickly set me straight: His friend was a building contractor, and was designing a new kitchen for the couple. Not being able to lay out the money without his wife knowing, his friend was offering to add the cost of the rod to the remodeling job.
"We'll hide it in the plumbing."
Indeed.

If you can appreciate craftsman talent and fine engraving check this page and scroll down. Some absolutely amazing work all round.

My last point is back to my old song......can you make a living from woodworking..........absolutely yes.....but.....you need to put yourself into it totally....and show you have the passion and focus on a single specific area thats my view and i have loads of sites to justify my position.

After seeing all those rods and their handles and accesoires one feels like wanting to go fishing or at least wanting to own one of those.

As per using bamboo as wood I've been trying to buy giant bamboo canes but they are so expensive here that I gave up. I even searched for giant bamboo seedlings to grow them myself but they do not ship them to Spain.

Even though Bamboo is actually classified as a grass it works well in woodworking projects. It's a very durable material. It will dull your cutters quickly though.

No. It is a grass.
As for fly fishing. I was going to take it up.
Bottom line, I can't afford the avocation or run with the big dogs who are active in the sport.
Those guys will spend more on their shoelaces than I planned for my entire outfit. A "beginners" rod will be in the $350.00 to $500.00 range. That doesn't count all the extras, reel, etc. Be prepared to spend $1500.00 before you get yer feet wet.
That rod shown has to be in the range of thousands of $$$$

You sure are right there Frank. I enjoy fly fishing but dont get to mix with the snooty ones.

When i can i can catch the same fish on a cheap rig as they do on the ridiculous price rig.

In reality i posted this to admire the craftmanship of making split cane rods and for all to see another form of craft.

This guy makes some awesome tackle. If i could afford it i would not be using it so that takes the shine of something for me.

But he has carved himself a nice market for his goods. I for one like the fact that he is passing on how to do it in teachingit and also keeping the craft alive.

Wish i could get out to do more fly fishing. Someday....

You sure are right there Frank. I enjoy fly fishing but dont get to mix with the snooty ones.

When i can i can catch the same fish on a cheap rig as they do on the ridiculous price rig.

In reality i posted this to admire the craftmanship of making split cane rods and for all to see another form of craft.

This guy makes some awesome tackle. If i could afford it i would not be using it so that takes the shine of something for me.

But he has carved himself a nice market for his goods. I for one like the fact that he is passing on how to do it in teachingit and also keeping the craft alive.

Wish i could get out to do more fly fishing. Someday....

Have to agree. And have admit fly fishing is not my passion.
My passion.....well,,,,one of them :rolleyes: is old style, traditional muzzle loading rifles.
My custom built Jaeger is museum quality. I can't, and couldn't, afford it. It was built for my at almost no cost, (I paid for the parts) by a friend.
For the record, I sure am proud of it but ain't snooty.