Skew chisels Another "Ben Franklin" list

Rich Soby

Next on the shopping list is a good skew chisel...

I am looking at a 1-1/4 inch chisel, what would I be better off purchasing?
A "rolled edge"? or a standard and just file/polish off the corners? the rolled edge look to have quite a rounded corner if the only purpose is to prevent the chisel from digging into my tool rest.

Pros and cons?
Thoughts and experiences?

Next on the shopping list is a good skew chisel...

I am looking at a 1-1/4 inch chisel, what would I be better off purchasing?
A "rolled edge"? or a standard and just file/polish off the corners? the rolled edge look to have quite a rounded corner if the only purpose is to prevent the chisel from digging into my tool rest.

Pros and cons?
Thoughts and experiences?

Rich,

If you aren't set on the 1-1/4 inch measurement, LV has a sale on 1-1/2 inch Narex Skew chisels here. For $17US you'll get a pair of them.

Been thinking about taking them up on this deal myself. Price is good until Oct 11, 2011.

Rich,

If you aren't set on the 1-1/4 inch measurement, LV has a sale on 1-1/2 inch Narex Skew chisels here. For $17US you'll get a pair of them.

Been thinking about taking them up on this deal myself. Price is good until Oct 11, 2011.

Those are for flatwork and are half inch Matt. I was looking at a skew chisel for use on the lathe an inch and a quarter wide.
Good deal though! I may grab a set myself:D

Those are for flatwork and are half inch Matt. I was looking at a skew chisel for use on the lathe an inch and a quarter wide.
Good deal though! I may grab a set myself:D

:doh::doh::doh:
That will teach me to post before I have my coffee in the morning. :coffee::coffee:

I really need to make sure my brain is engaged before I post in the mornings :D

Rich I have both of Alan Lacers skews and are second to none IMHO. One is 1 3/8" and the other 5/8" M2 steel. I use his big one most times even on small stuff and after sharpening can be honed to scarey sharp. I have others that I have bought but they have been ground for different uses such as a couple are now negative rake scrapers.

I have been looking a little also and being fugal do not mind a little shaping with my 4.5 grinder with a sanding disc installed.

I did “round over” my current skews but not fully round on the heel. Only about 1/32” rounded, once the turn starts it doesn’t matter if it is a 1/8 round or 1/32 round. The 1/32" is enough to keep it from digging in to the tool rest.

I’m fairly sure the Lacer skews are made by Hamlet, so are the Packard tools (Packard Woodworks). The Lacer is $115 and the Packard is $77. Both are 3/8 thick both are M2.

For me I am tending towards the Packard M2 5/16” thick 1.25 wide. (Sq. End Scraper) $50 and I will shape as needed.
They also have a M2 3/8” M2 (HD Skew Scraper) for $77. It is 1/16 thicker, and the skew angle is formed, and is 1.5” wide instead of 1.25”……. but $27 more. Still thinking about it.