Septarillion - Red Mallee Burl Turned and Carved

Hey all, I just completed a new piece for this year's Artprize competition here in Grand Rapids, MI. Man, talk about a carving challenge! In fact, I didn't know if I should post this in the woodturning forum or the carving forum. :)

Title: Septarillion
Wood: Red Mallee Burl
Size: 19"x13"x2"
Finish: General Finishes Enduro-Var

Here's a link to photos that I took along each stage of the creation process.

Septarillion Photo Story

Hutch

Attachments

• Finished Septarillion.JPG
    Finished Septarillion.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 75
THAT IS INCREDIBLE HUTCH:eek::thumb::thumb::thumb: So much going on...the carving:thumb::thumb::thumb:, the wood:thumb::thumb::thumb: your skills:thumb::thumb::thumb:. Best of luck at Artprize, it is quite the event:)

Last edited:
Matt, that is a beautiful piece. Good luck in the competition.

I like the carving design but the only negative for me is that the beautiful wood overpowers the beauty of the carved area. At least that is how it appears in the photos and it is just my subjective opinion.

Its times like seeing this piece of art along with many others that people here produce that i keep thinking we deserve to have a talent show like these other tv hits that expose hidden talent.

I would love to see you on the big stage Matt i think you got it natural.

Well done.:thumb:

Thanks all!

Mohammad - I kinda agree about the wood fighting with the carving, and the picture I posted "overstated" the brightnesss of the wood. In fact, my original design incorporated woodburning on the backround to help define the carving, but I ended up running out of time, again. :rolleyes: In person it reads better than shown in the photo.

Here is a more realistic photo of the color of the wood.

-Hutch

Attachments

• DSC05761 (640x480).jpg
    DSC05761 (640x480).jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 25
Beautifully done, Hutch. :thumb: That mallee burl sure is some easy carving stuff, huh? :rofl:

(I think turning cast iron would dull tools less, so I can only imagine how hard it must be to carve.) ;)

Thanks all!

Vaughn - It cut like warm butter. If it weren't for the cost I think it would be the recommended wood of choice for beginning carvers. :D:rofl:

Seriously though, I couldn't believe how often I had to re-hone my tools. I was using Pfeil chisels, and I still had to hone every couple (yes, couple) minutes. Good thing I made a handy-dandy power strop about a month ago.

Hutch

Attachments

• Sharpening System Small.JPG
    Sharpening System Small.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 15
Beautiful piece Hutch!

I'm curious where you got your leather wheels from? I've got pretty much the same setup for mine, but had made a wheel that has since gotten damaged in a move and am looking to replace it.

I made the honing wheels myself. There is a Tandy outlet about 1.5 miles from my house. I just bought a leather shoulder, some leather contact cement, and glued 'em up (heavily clamped between wood platens). Then I drilled them, mounted them on the mandrel, and turned and sanded them to shape. So far there isn't an inkling of delamination, and I am really please with the edge they put on my tools. I even use it for my turning tools now!

Hutch

...Seriously though, I couldn't believe how often I had to re-hone my tools. I was using Pfeil chisels, and I still had to hone every couple (yes, couple) minutes...

Yeah, it cuts very nicely but it sure is some edge-eating wood. I turned a small burned manzanita burl into a bowl. I left the outside pretty much untouched but hollowing the inside of the bowl (maybe 6" across and 3" deep) took me four trips to the grinder, and each time I was resharpening four different Thompson gouges. Around that same period of time I was turning a lot of ash, and I was getting one or two 12" to 16" bowls out of those same gouges per sharpening.