Coolmeadow Creations Shop Construction

WOW,Tod! We need you to do a thread on your dust collection setup, how you built it, and how it works. That middle picture, is that your junction for all the different intake pipes from around the shop, or are those filters? I'm counting 11, whatever they are. Thanks for the pictures. Jim.

WOW,Tod! We need you to do a thread on your dust collection setup, how you built it, and how it works. That middle picture, is that your junction for all the different intake pipes from around the shop, or are those filters? I'm counting 11, whatever they are. Thanks for the pictures. Jim.

Jim,

Those are tod's filter bags!

tod,

I agree with Jim. We need a detailed/pictorial tour of that system in a seperate thread. And take the pictures after a nice big run of alder through your planer so we can see the sort of volume of dust/chips you routinely deal with!

- Marty -

That's an interesting suggestion Norman. I have jammed the barrel on my Onedia cyclone a couple of times. Do you thin that something like this could be made to work on the 35 gallon cardboard barrel from Oneida?

Frank, yes, it will work on the cardboard barrel also, but you would need to do as Jim suggested and make a frame out of thin metal, probably aluminum, to go on the outside and then the cardboard would be sandwiched between the lexan and the frame.

You could use a thin plexiglass for the viewing window, but it is more brittle and prone to cracking which wouldn't work quite as well as the lexan in this application, since it is going to have to flex/bend to follow the curve of the barrel. You can even install the lexan on the outside of the barrel, but I don't like that as well, because it leaves the cutout perimeter in the barrel open to the sawdust,which can build up on it, obscuring the view. When mounting the Oven light in the barrel's top, be sure to seal around it so there isn't any vacuum leak there either, but don't seal it so you can't remove the glass lens when you need to replace the bulb.

Last edited:
Thanks Norman, I am going to add this modification to my "nice to have" list and I hope to get around to it within the next year :) . If I jam my barrel again :( , it might get done sooner rather than later.

Jim,

Those are tod's filter bags!

tod,

I agree with Jim. We need a detailed/pictorial tour of that system in a seperate thread. And take the pictures after a nice big run of alder through your planer so we can see the sort of volume of dust/chips you routinely deal with!

- Marty -

i`ll try and get a "hillbilly dust collector" thread together in the next few days....marty needs to keep on me so i`ll do it though:eek: ....tod

Lost In Space......

Well, Mom and Dad left about 3:00 this afternoon. I watched a few minutes of the Cowboy/Bucaneer game, and decided to go to the shop. Listened to the game on the radio and worked on the cyclone exhaust. I made the 4 bridge band clamps, then proceeded to get the flex hose on the exhaust and tightened down. The whole time I was working on this thing, all I could think of was "WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!!" :D
DSCN1316.jpg
I just finished clamping it on the exhaust plates in the wall, siliconing the joint at the cyclone, and anchoring it in place. The exhaust is now finished...... as long as it doesn't blow off when I crank this thing up!:eek:
So now on to the lid on Sat. I found a piece of 3/4 MDF in the wood stash in the garage that should work. Still need to decide how to anchor the lid down tight to the barrel. Thinking about wing bolts with t-nuts in an L bracket bolted to the barrel. Would like to use some spring latches, but have no idea where to find them locally.
Hope everyone had a good and safe Thanksgiving! Jim.
(I can hear Marty now, "See! His wife let him work in the shop today!!!) :D:D

Last edited:
Jim is you set that on a fancy pedestal and put an outrageous price tag on it, stuck it in some artsy gallery, you could call it modern art!! :thumb:

Cheers!

Well, Mom and Dad left about 3:00 this afternoon. I watched a few minutes of the Cowbow/Bucaneer game, and decided to go to the shop. Listened to the game on the radio and worked on the cyclone exhaust. I made the 4 bridge band clamps, then proceeded to get the flex hose on the exhaust and tightened down. The whole time I was working on this thing, all I could think of was "WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!!" :D
View attachment 1045
I just finished clamping it on the exhaust plates in the wall, siliconing the joint at the cyclone, and anchoring it in place. The exhaust is now finished...... as long as it doesn't blow off when I crank this thing up!:eek:
So now on to the lid on Sat. I found a piece of 3/4 MDF in the wood stash in the garage that should work. Still need to decide how to anchor the lid down tight to the barrel. Thinking about wing bolts with t-nuts in an L bracket bolted to the barrel. Would like to use some spring latches, but have no idea where to find them locally.
Hope everyone had a good and safe Thanksgiving! Jim.
(I can hear Marty now, "See! His wife let him work in the shop today!!!) :D:D

Danger Will Robinson...Danger Will Robinson... :rofl:

Now all you have to do is install a few servos so that gizmo oscillates...or mount it loosely so that pressure in the system causes the arms to flail wildly...then you could charge admission to your "Lost in Space" museum. :thumb:

And I've already showed this Denise and said "See...HE got to work in the shop :bang:

Good luck today...
- Marty -

Storm damage.

Well, I had a little set back in the shop this evening. :(:(We have had a lot of rain today, really hard at times. LOML and I have not been good about picking up the leaves. She blew all the ones in the driveway toward the shop the other day. I've seen them and knew they needed to be picked up, but just procrastinated...BIG MISTAKE. They created a dam backing water up in the back yard against the shop. I went out to the shop to get some tools to work on the weekend project of the foyer opening to LOML's studio. It started raining pretty hard, I thought about making a run for it, but decided I'd do some busy work in the shop until it let up. Sure glad I did. I was there long enough to see it start coming in at the sill plate on the south side of the assembly/finish room. I could just about catch up with it when the wet/dry vac would get full. By the time I got it emptied, I had a big puddle again and it wasn't stopping. After about 15 minutes of this, I went out front and saw the problem. Glenna came out and helped as I was "repositioning" :eek: the leaves. No telling what the neighbors thought if they saw this. Once I got a path cleared to the creek about 30 or so feet away, we went back to the shop and back yard. Glenna used the vac on the shop floor while I busted a path across the concrete walkway to get the now swimming pool to drain. That took a while! I'll be really sore tomorrow. By this time, the rain slacked off and the floor stayed dry in the shop, for the most part. I've got to go turn the shop's outside light off, and I may use the shop vac on a couple of small places where water is standing.
I have to tell you, when all this started, I was in a real panic. I'll take some pictures tomorrow of the distruction we did to the back yard to get the water to drain away from the shop. Looks like my priorities have changed on what needs to be done next. It has rained hard before, and I've never had this problem. That leads me to believe that if the leaves hadn't made the dam and pushed the water back, this wouldn't have happend. At least not as severe as it was. It also tells me that the caulking I did as I assembled everything when I redid the walls did diddly squat. Oh, and Glenna noticed a little leak from the roof area on the north side of the shop in the corner where the wall to the assembly/finish room meets. That may be caused by leaves also if they are stacked up in the valley where the 2 roofs meet. Now to design a drainage system..... Jim.

Last weekend I blew the leaves off the shop roof, hoping that that was the problem with the leak Glenna saw during the carnage of the New Years weekend with the water getting into the shop. Well, it's not the problem. During the week I started stapling up the plastic vapor barier on the walls. I was just about to start stapling the excess across the ceiling at the corner that had leaked a little. There it was, dripping between the plastic and the insulation.:(:doh: So I made a funnel out of some of the cut off plastic from a doorway, and put a trash can with plastic liner under it. Catching everyrhing, and is only about a drop every 15 seconds or so. But that DOESN'T need to be in the insulation!!! The problem is this was oribinally a car port. Then it was enclosed for a shop. Then a slab was poured beside it. THEN they covered part of the slab and added on to the roof, without taking off the existing roof. They did reshingle it, at least on the side of the addition, but the valley created by the new roof must not have been done well, or in redoing some of the wall studs, I tweaked something ever so slightly to cause the problem. The water is coming off the shingles of the old roof that is under the added roof, if that makes any sense on paper. Then I enclosed the covered patio for a finish/assembly room. The work I did on the walls was 2 years ago, and I've never noticed any drips before. Guess I get to pull that part of the roof off and redo the valley and re-shingle. I had planned on putting in some ridge vents this spring. The job just got a little bigger. I'll leave my catch basin intact for the time being. I don't dare put up the wall OSB until this is fixed, at least not in that section. I'll go forward with some of the other parts, and if I get them done, I'll start on the west wall multi-tool bench.
Hope everyone is stayng warm and dry this weekend! Jim.

Bummer on the roof leak Jim.
Glad you caught it before the osb went on:thumb:

Yean, me too. But my problems pale compared to what you have gone through in the last month. Hope you aren't getting ice on your new roof, but I bet you've got some. Jim.

Yes. Some ice. About 3" on the ground.
But with no insulation yet, I've been hearing it slide off occasionally:thumb:

Friday, I took off work a few minutes early to go buy some OSB for the shop walls and ceiling. I remembered it being about 7.00 a sheet last time I looked...Marked down to 4.97, was 5.95!!! Just in time for ME!! :thumb::D I had planned to get 100.00 worth. It of course got me 20 sheets instead of the 14 I was expecting to go home with.
Wasn't able to do any thing Sat...worked 8-1, then repaired some drywall for a friend. I got a late start this am, had a couple down from Edmond OK to look at some of the rescue dogs. Very nice couple. Looked way too young to be grandparents!!
Anyway, I got started at 11:00. Took a while to get everything I needed and the sawhorses out and a table made to work on on the driveway to the shop. I got 4 pieces cut and hung. Made a couple mistakes marking and cutting for the electrical outlets. Found a problem in the way I built the closet that didn't leave me a stud behind the end of one panel. I've decided on a cure for it, but will need to go back to HD to get some brackets. Oh, I also took a break after lunch and cut and secured the trim on the opening I built from the entry to LOML's studio. See, told you it would be 2007 before it was finished!
My back is sore now from unloading all the rest of the OSB to get it out of the van. Sure wish that fine helper from HD was here to assist me.:D Hope you had a great weekend! Jim.

Lucky you! When I was doing my shop, the stuff went up to $17 a sheet so I did drywall instead. Now OSB is cheaper than drywall in my area. Drywall is up to almost $11 for a 1/2 x 4x8 sheet.

Yeah, drywall still about that here I think. When Katrina hit, a little construction outfit up the road from the house loaded up on OSB, built an extension on his roof and put tarps over it. Hung a sign up 14.50 each. I don't think he sold a single piece. Tarps are torn now, and what you see from the road looks pretty bad. I guess waiting panned out ok for me for a change!:) Jim.

I got to spend about an hour in the shop after work today. Fixed my cutout mistake on a 220 plug by cutting a piece and glueing it into place. Then thought I'd do some playing with the salvaged slatwall material the previous owner had used for wainscotting, still can't get over that. Cut and mounted 2 pieces. DSCN1355.jpgThey fit together very well. I was happy with the way it turned out. DSCN1356.jpgAnd I think I can get about 30 linear feet of this, 31.5" tall. That should be plenty for hanging stuff on the walls. Since the OSB is 1/2" and the slatwall is 3/4", I'll eventually build a frame around it to finish off the ends. 2 down, 15 more to go!! Jim.