Coolmeadow Creations Shop Construction

Congrats Indy fans! Couldn't have happened for a nicer coach.

How I spent my weekend....hmmm....I've got sore muscles, and I'm bruised in some spaces. I must have spent time in the shop working on the walls! :D

I did a little a couple more week nights leading up to the weekend working on the slatwall. Got the west wall done Thursday eve. (These pics are of the west wall.) DSCN1367.jpg DSCN1362.jpg LOML had other plans for me Friday eve, so I spent time in the house with her and tending the fire so she could get warm. She was gone all day Sat, so that meant my time in the shop was interrupted a lot taking care of the dogs. We are working 3 shifts with one rescue that fights with our 2 younger girls, (it's a mutual dislike) and our youngest girl in season so the boys have to be kept separated. Everyone needs time out, so I get interrupted a lot. But I still got to spend about 7 hours in the shop. I got the remainder of the lower half of the shop walls covered in OSB, finishing the last piece this morning. (Pic 1 is the north wall, cyclone in center, leak is in the far corner on the right) DSCN1365.jpg (Pic 2 is a closer view to that corner) DSCN1368.jpg (And Pic 3 is the east wall, sheet storage in the far right corner) DSCN1369.jpgThen I went to work on the light reflectors for the 3 remaining flouescent lights I need to purchase. Ran out of supplies to finish them up, and didn't feel like going into town to get what I needed. I need some screws and wood to make the end caps on the reflectors, which are basically barrel vaulted and recessed up into the ceiling joists. I cut the 4X8 sheets of Glassliner (I think I'm remembering that correctly).
The other thing that took the most time was also in the ceiling. As I have stated before, I have low shop ceilings (7' 8" in the main body, and less than that for a 4' deep section across the north wall where the cyclone is, and my future work bench will be, where the slab is raised about an inch and a half (was a storage area originally when it was carport). Anyway, doesn't make storing 4X8 sheet goods very easy. I don't have enough space to store them horizontally, so they need to be vertical. I have a good spot just inside the double wide doors on the south wall, and I purposly didn't put a window on that wall for this reason. I bumped the ceiling up about 4 1/2" in this area, and made it about 9' long. DSCN1364.jpg I'll be able to get sheet goods in the door, stand up there, and slide over to the holding area. I could probably store about 15 sheets of 3/4" stuff, but doubt that I'll ever have that much at any given time.
I need to get the light endcaps done this week in the evenings, then next week get some more of the ceiling vapor barrier installed, and start cutting OSB to fit and installing (oh JOY :eek:).
Thanks for wading through my ramblings. Time for bed. 5:30 comes awfully early tomorrow!..Jim.

Well, since I called Marty a slacker in his thread:rofl: I thought I'd better post what I did in the shop today.
It all started off this morning with sending one of the rescue girls to her new home. Lovely lady in her 50's that is a special ed teacher in San Antonio. She has all the right credentials to deal with an Irish Setter!!:D Then I went to HD for a few supplies, back to the house and to the shop. Started ripping the 2X4s down to fur out the bay where my sheet good storage will go. The last picture in the post above shows the area in question. I got interrupted to see if I could start the lawn mower, then eat lunch. After lunch said lawnmower would not start again. Took it apart, cleaned things up, and it started fine. I go back to the shop, LOML runs the lawnmower for a little bit, comes out to the shop and said it was smoking. I stop and spray it down with some degreaser, give her instructions to wait 15 minutes then hose it off. She comes back to the shop again and said it started fine, but then started clattering and stopped. UH OH!! Sure enough, oil running down the cylinder. It's not been running right for a year or so. Now I get to see if either one of the riding lawn mowers I have will work. That will wait for another day.
Back to the shop. I finish furring out and making sure everything is flush and straight. Cut and install the OSB for the top of the bay, that goes in fine. Then I get called to help pick up the leaves that the lawnmower wouldn't mulch. 12 bags just off part of the side yard!! My back is already hurting.
Then back to the shop and start on the full sheet of OSB. It went fine, had to custom cut one corner to fit. Cut and installed the top wall piece in the corner on the adjacent wall. Got ready to measure and cut the remaining piece in the corner and LOML comes in and says I need to get ready for supper. Look at the clock, it's 7:45 already!
That's it, not much, but it was hard work for one guy! :D Doesn't even rate a photo. Jim.

edit With all that happened today, I forgot about yesterday. Got to spend a little time in the shop during the afternoon after a visit with the lady that took the dog today. I got 3 pieces of the slotwall material up on the wall that is adjacent to the bay I worked on today.

Last edited:
Dear Jim, Hi :wave:,
You have tired me out with the work you accomplished, while serving your wife( good for you), taking care of the dogs, working in the shop, and dealing with the lawn mower, you deserve a break today :D . Your shop is coming along well and it is obvious you are doing it in fine fashion. Your intention for that slat board is for what purpose? I am unfamiliar with it in a woodworking environment. Thanks for sharing your progress, my hat is off to you for what you've done and still having the energy to post it.:thumb: :D
Shaz

Shaz. No different than using peg board. Just to hang things on that need a home up and out of the way. I have in mind to hang my Smart Miter from it so it is close to the TS. Make a hanger to put screw drivers, hammers, etc on so they are close to the job. Buckets to hold sand paper sheets and discs, drill bit holders close to the DP, all sorts of things. Slatwall is more versatile in that you can slide things a little or a lot. You do lose some vertical adjustment over peg board, but it is easier to move on slatwall that peg board, at least for me. I need to find a retail store going out of business that is selling their fixtures. Lots of retail stores use this stuff, and fixtures can be had on the cheap. I bought 20 hangers from a Radio Shack that closed down by me a year or so ago. Cost me a buck. Not sure what I'll hang from them yet! Jim.

Hi Jim, :wave:
Thanks , I got it now. That would free up a lot of horizontal work space too. I've seen it use in retail just not in the shop, well I guess I never go to anybody's shop to see.:rolleyes:
Have a great day of it.
Shaz

Stay tuned for the weekend news....I started early, used the new Hitachi circular saw for the first, and only, cut, so far. It's smooth, I like it. Got the first piece of ceiling OSB cut and installed! It is the largest piece I'll have to do for the ceiling, measured 41" X 96". Not fun working that bad boy into place by myself. Most all the other pieces will be 24"x 96", or smaller. I have lots of lights and outlets to cut holes for, though. It's always a challenge.
OK here I go!! :wave: Wish me luck! Jim.

Your shop is coming along nicely Jim :thumb:
I like the idea of the slatwall. Looks like it would be better than pegboard.

Man, I've got to be more specific when I ask you guys to wish me luck! I'm sure you read what I posted in Marty's thread this morning about losing power yesterday. That killed about 4 hours work time in the shop. I did spend about 8 hours out there today, but had to pull some of the wall stuff down to fix one piece that didn't meet the ceiling right. But I did finish up the first 10' of ceiling from the door in. DSCN1383.jpgDSCN1384.jpgNot quite half, but close. Probably half of the wood, but the rest has a lot more cutouts for fixtures and electrical boxes. One 8' X 2' section will have 3 outlet boxes and I think 2 light fixtures to cut out. It could be fun!:rofl:
I'll try to do some this week in the evenings. I'm taking 3 days vacation in March the week of the 12th, Wed thru Fri, and it's my weekend off. I need to have the ceiling almost ready so I can fix my leakin roof, weather permitting. If it's raining that week, I don't know what I'll do with my vacation time...may have to postpone it. Hopefully not.
Have a good week! Thanks for looking in. Jim.

Alright! I've had a good weekend in the shop! Except for the corner where my leak is, the OSB is up on the ceiling!! Also it is completed on the West and east walls. DSCN1385.jpgDSCN1386.jpgDSCN1390.jpgI need one piece above the door on the south wall for it to be finished. DSCN1389.jpg If I had had one more piece of OSB (I'm 2 pieces short) I could have finished the North wall on the west side of the cyclone, but that's ok. Oh, I haven't finished cutting the window opening out on the south wall...oops!!
And these last 2 shots are of the ductworth that is recessed into the ceiling. This one
DSCN1392.jpg is the first drop off the main trunk that goes to the TS. This one DSCN1391.jpg is where it splits off to the BS, jointer (hey I don't have to say future jointer anymore!!) and future router table set up on the near side, and the multipurpose station on the far side.
I still need to trim out the light openings. I will cut 2Xs to the same thickness as the OSB, and edge the openings. This will leave a lip on the light side that a grate will fit into to help save some bulbs. I've already hit a couple of them. Luckily not hard enough to break them.....yet.
Well, I need to go get some of the sawdust out of my eyes. Hope you've had a great weekene! Jim.

I couldn't help it, I just couldn't. I noticed I had my carpet knife in my pocket when I finished the post above, so I took it out to the shop so I wouldn't forget it in the house. Saw that space above the door, measured it, saw a piece of scrap on the floor, 8' long, held it up....almost a perfect fit. Trim off 1/2" on half the length, boom it's up! :D Measure the other space that was left. 24". Found another scrap on the floor, and boom, it's up too! so the south wall is finished now! Sorry, didn't come back in for the camera. No telling what else I'd found I could put up!:rofl: Jim.

I couldn't help it, I just couldn't. I noticed I had my carpet knife in my pocket when I finished the post above, so I took it out to the shop so I wouldn't forget it in the house. Saw that space above the door, measured it, saw a piece of scrap on the floor, 8' long, held it up....almost a perfect fit. Trim off 1/2" on half the length, boom it's up! :D Measure the other space that was left. 24". Found another scrap on the floor, and boom, it's up too! so the south wall is finished now! Sorry, didn't come back in for the camera. No telling what else I'd found I could put up!:rofl: Jim.

And your wife was probably wondering, Does it really take that long to put a knife up :huh: :rofl:

Way to go Jim,
not very often but once in a long while I find a piece that fits perfectly, maybe once every four years but never two pieces. Did you buy a lottery ticket?:D :D
Your shop is coming on! :thumb: Thanks for the update.
Shaz

jim, it`s good to see you getting time to work on your shop! not much longer and you`ll be able to work in it:D

Shaz, as a matter of fact, we have a pool started at work for the 350 million super multistate thing. One of the guys is going around asking who will stay and work, and who will leave if we win. :wave::wave::wave: I don't normally play the lottery, just not my style. Maybe 12 tickets over the last 10 years or so. When Chinh asked me if I wanted to cip in, I said " You bet, I'm not going to be left here alone!". :D
Thanks Tod. I'll be awhile working on benches, outfeed/assembly table, router table (may combine it with the outfeed/assembly table...we'll see) multi-station wall, etc. It made a world of difference getting the power on last November!! And now I don't feel like I'm working in a barn. Thanks for looking! Jim.

Jim, Your shop is comeing along nice. I always get lost when I go to the shop. It seems when i'm in there time stops:huh: , well thats how it feels to me. After you finish your shop come over and do my shop since you have knowledge of what it takes to get it up and running fast.:rofl: :D Keep us posted.