Coolmeadow Creations Shop Construction

Al, as long as there'e no penalty for finishing the project late, I'm your man!! :thumb::D:D
Thanks Sam. One of these days I'm going to get enough of it done I can adjust the bottom wheel on my E16 and get to use it!
I did go get the roof vent material and 3 more pieces of OSB today after work. Thought I planned it pretty good. Ended up with $0.08 left on the gift card. :thumb::thumb: And spent a little time in the shop. Got one more section of upper wall up. Jim.

Can you say....VACATIOOONNNNNN!!!:thumb::thumb:

Well, I've been on the shop roof for about 2 hours. Got the shingles cleared off the valley in question, and the 2 sides leading to it. This
DSCN1394.jpg and DSCN1395.jpg were what I found in the valley that was leaking. See anything that might be the cause????:rofl: Wait a minute...that's not funny. :rolleyes: :D It is amazing what you find. This shop has been full of :huh: and :dunno: s. This next picture is right in the middle of the valley. DSCN1396.jpg They put a nail in the middle of the valley, (I'm shading it with my leg's shadow) I'm guessing to hold the roofing felt in place, and tore the felt in doing so. :doh::doh::confused: This last shot is how they ran the felt for this short side of the roof. DSCN1397.jpg Just unbelieveable. Now I will run a vertical piece at the edge, but then I will put on horizontal runs over it and weave them into the valley. It's scarey to think that the same roofers might have been the ones that installed the shingles on the house!
Ok, lunch is over. I've got a roof to shingle! Jim.

6-7 years ago I helped a guy frame a hunting cabin out in the woods.

Mid july, 150:eek: in the shade, 100% humidity.
He couldn't find a roofer, so I volunteered as I had a little extra time that week.
Bad mistake.
First day I got the felting on. By 1:00 I was whipped by the heat. No breeze in the woods.

Next day I waited till 3:00 to go out there. I suffered through that afternoon and evening and only got 4 square put on.
Same thing the next day, but was only able to put on one square, as the shingles were so hot I started scuffing them trying to stand on them. I sat down, and got a scorched behind.:eek:

So anyway, after 4-5 days of hit and miss I finally got it done.
I told myself never again, unless it was my own house.

Up Here alot of roofers use a product called ice sheild in the valley's. The nice thing about it is that any nail holes will seal up around the nails. It is a thin rubber roll with a real sticky substance on the back that keeps it in place. I can also get used around window and door opeings to help seal it.
Al

No such thing around here. Al. But I would want help putting that stuff on. I've heard about how sticky it is. I'd drop it and have a mess.
Had to come in and get a drink. I'll have less that 2 square into this project when it's finished. Might not get finished today! Jim.

WHEW!! I'm glad that part is finished. Had to go back to HD to get 2 more bundles of shingles. Used about 1/2 of the last one. Will use 5 or 6 more shingles when I do the caps on the hip section tomorrow. Now I need to cut the slot for the roof vent and install it. At least it's supposed to be a bunch cooler tomorrow. High of 65 instead of the 80 it was today. Time to get cleaned up! Jim.

Man Jim,

That just bites the way they did that roof!

And boy can I relate to working in the heat! :doh:

Glad you're done though...

Here's to all the water staying OUTSIDE the shop! :clap:

- Marty -

It's done! And so am I.:rolleyes: I'm glad this only took 3 days. That gives me 2 days to get over the soreness before I have to go back to work. :D
It was too dark to get a picture when I finished (7:35), so I'll do that after I clean the trash off the roof tomorrow afternoon. Have 2 English Setters to transport to San Antonio. We'll do the first leg to Hillsboro (about an hour or so drive) They are cute, small, and very pregnant! One of them should be due in about 2 weeks.
Now I can finish the wall and ceiling in the shop. The other side of the wall that showed the leak is still open to the finishing room, so I'll be able to watch it when we get another prolonged rain. Thanks for reading! Jim.

Well. it's pretty much been a slow and lazy day. I cleaned up the roof after getting back from our little morning jaunt. Did go by the outlet mall and spend a little more of my 3+ year old gift certificate at the Eddie Bauer outlet. Been needing a new light weight jacket, and found some cool flipflops.
Spent a little time in the shop. finished up the rest of the ceiling panels (THE CEILING"S DONE!!) and did a little on the walls. I was starting to make some mental mistakes marking one of the panels, so gave it up. I'll watch the Stars instead.
Almost forgot to take pictures of the roof. This one is the existing valley on the south side DSCN1398.jpg And this is the north side that I did. DSCN1399.jpg Think it will pass?
So far, I'm ahead of schedule. My goal was to have the roof, ceiling and walls finished by tomorrow. I may get started priming with the partial gallon of Kilz I have left. We'll see. LOML just came in and gave me 2 other things to do tomorrow. Hope you are having a good weekend. I like this vacation stuff. I have 2 more days to use or lose by April 23. Hopefully I'll be able to score some paint before the time is gone! Jim.

Roof is looking great Jim.
Hopefully no more leaks for you.

It will be done before you know it. Then, on to woodworking:thumb: :D

FINALLY!! The interior main shop walls and ceilings are done. I still have the trim to do around the light fixtures, and paint, but I feel good about this milestone. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll be able to get some paint, and get that going. The finishing room can wait for a while. Two pictures of the final corner from opposite angles. Thanks for looking! Jim.

Attachments

• DSCN1400.jpg
    DSCN1400.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN1401.jpg
    DSCN1401.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 33
WELL!!! It's been raining for about 6 hours so far, and ALL OF IT IS STAYING OUTSIDE THE SHOP!!!! :thumb::thumb: (I'd do 3 thumbs up, but that would take an extra person!:D) The creek is swollen, the water is up about 2 feet or so, roaring under the bridge as I came across it a few minutes ago. A tree that fell across the creek is almost totally under water now. Hopefully what I see on the up side of it is not silt building up, but stuff floating on the water.
Well, that's it for now, and I hope it stays that way! Have a great week! Jim.

WELL!!! It's been raining for about 6 hours so far, and ALL OF IT IS STAYING OUTSIDE THE SHOP!!!! :thumb::thumb: (I'd do 3 thumbs up, but that would take an extra person!:D) The creek is swollen, the water is up about 2 feet or so, roaring under the bridge as I came across it a few minutes ago. A tree that fell across the creek is almost totally under water now. Hopefully what I see on the up side of it is not silt building up, but stuff floating on the water.
Well, that's it for now, and I hope it stays that way! Have a great week! Jim.

Jim,

I'll add the third ... :thumb:

Congrats...and good luck til the rain stops!

- Marty -

Hey Jim, you made GOOD progress. Let's see now, Dogs delivered, Roof redone, Rain,---Tested Roof repair & no leaks, Rain,---filled creek to supply water to the rebuilt pump & irrigation system, (FREE WATER.....EXCEPT for the horrendous Electric Rates here in Tx): finished walls & ceiling,...... and all done "Ahead of Schedule" byTwo days. NOW,.........Rest up to be fresh to go back to work.....:huh: Naaaaaaaah,:rofl: :rofl: ... get that Roller Going and make it BRIGHT IN THERE!!!!! :D :thumb:

Hopefully tomorrow will be better for painting...It's 36 and an occasional snow flurry...Yeah, in Texas in April! :D Too cold in an un-heated shop to try to paint. May not be warm enough tomorrow as it's only supposed to get to 52. Oh well, there's always next week!
As I type, I've got a fire going, and the old rescue dog from the sleeping dog thread is camped out in front of it sound asleep. Not on his back yet, but I'm sure he will make it there eventually. Have a good weekend. I hope some of you get to use your shops! Jim.