Maple Log Tables

Jeff Bower

Back in May a good friend told me he wanted to build a new computer for me. He had just moved to start a new job, with his family still back in Des Moines until the shcool year ended and was bored at night. He built it before I had asked him what the cost would be and when he gave it to me he said we would work it out later. A few weeks later I was visiting him at his new place and he said, "You know we like those tables you made for your sister in law and they would look great in our new house, what would something like that cost?" I said, "Oh, probably a new computer!"

OK so I know it is now almost October, but it took me awhile to find some logs big enough to make them, but I just finished them up last night. He will be in town this weekend to pick them up. It will feel good to pay the debt off, but I know he wasn't ever worried about it. I'm adding a bowl and a bottle stopper as well.

They are all right around 17" tall The middle one is the largest at about 15" from corner to corner. The legs are steel tubes painted black with rubber feet. The finish is my home brew danish oil, about 10 coats. I thought about poly, but didn't want the wood to look shiny...coasters will be needed for sure! I have a crotch section from this same log that I hope to make a coffee table out of as well...

WOW :eek: got kinda long winded for some blurring cell phone pics didn't I! :wave:

Attachments

• p_00408.jpg
    p_00408.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 50
  • p_00407.jpg
    p_00407.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 41
  • p_00409.jpg
    p_00409.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 53
Nice looking log tables Jeff.

I was wondering about those cracks I see starting from the outer areas. Anything that would help stop them? or are they just going to be part of the asthetics?

I was also wondering (See, my mind {MIND?, what's that?} gets going and there's no stopping it) if you ever considered hollowing out some of the pith area from the underside? Might this help eliminate some of the stress on the log to slow the cracking? It probably would be more work that it was worth, or maybe not? Might make them a bit lighter too?

Good job. I wanna see that coffee table too, when it's done.

Aloha, Tony

How did I miss these before?

Those look pretty darn near tornado proof!

I do imagine that finishing them off takes quite a bit of effort.

Very well done! :thumb:

Thanks again for the kind comments.

Tony, the cracks add to the appeal if you ask me and the people that have received the ones I've made like them too. :dunno:I have thought about hollowing out from the bottom to cut down on the weight, but figured it was more work than it's worth. I delivered these last night and some other people saw them and now I have orders for some more! :)