This Place

larry merlau

Well it was brought to my attention that this is something to one and not the other..

This PLACE called a forum is a piece of network air that allows us to speak and show actions in many differnt ways.. some feel that it is part of there physical and social familiy and there fore take things more serious in it.. others feel its just a pass time to take up the spare time we have after other things are done. and really dont care about the ones involved as much as some do or did. so why do you participate in this? and what are you looking for? are you treating it as family or as a piece of net work AIR.. in our radio waves the FCC have some stringent regulations for the use of it. here they have a few broad ones that were set up as quide lines and there have been some that feel these arent sufficient and others feel they are to stringent.
so if we go back to the keep it simple rule. if you dont like the smell of the smoke coming from the camp fire then we can go and set on the other side and watch just as those who dont mind the smoke..

so in conclusion: if you want to care about how things and thoughts are being dealt with here in this forum, great if you want to just drop in and not take any responsibilty or show any caring for things in this forum than that is fine to.. its just some network AIR that some have found a way to share.. in many differnt ways.. it will continue to be what you or i make of it , no more or no less.

as for me..

Up till about 2 1/2 years ago it was a nice place to visit, learn a few things about tools and woodworking, and a pleasant place to hang out. The mood was even, flamers and nasty people seemed nonexistent (unlike some other forums I used to visit) and even the most amateur of us found constructive advice offered without any malice. It was a nice place.

Then, as happens to so many others, life took an unexpected turn.

It was then I realized that this was more than just a place on the web to hang out and learn a little. It was a place filled with real people with real compassion. People not just willing to give advice, but willing to put themselves out to help another. I had an opportunity to meet, in person, about 25 members of this forum. I said I'd be in a specific area on a given day, and the invitations just rolled in! Not just casual offers either. Real, open hospitality. So many offers, in fact, that I had to refuse some - in spite of how difficult that was.

Yes, it's a place in the air someplace. Ethereal. But the beings that populate this place are some of the most down to earth real people it has ever been my pleasure and privilege to know.:thumb:

Well put Larry :thumb::thumb:

Me I use it both ways I have made many new friend here (Family) and learned and benefited from many things here (Networking)

This forum is just what you make of it. I have been fortunate to make and meet many new friend because of this Forum that I would never have met otherwise and am a better person for it.

for this ol burro...

i came to this place a handfull of years back, looking for advice for something that i now have forgotten, and have stayed to learn from everyone here, and help others where i can. i've learned to be humble, and not too full of myself (which can be dangerous, as i have to fill out an environmental impact statement when it happens:rofl:). i've had the pleasure of speaking to some of you on the phone, or via skype, and hopefully the pleasure goes both ways. i've met some with subtle humor (humour, just for you rob), and some who push though just the same, depite adversity, and some who have such talent, i just shake my head and say, wow. to me, this is almost like a virtual rendezvous, that takes the place of the rendezvousing i used to do. in rendezvousing, it's like one big, extended family. you have your in laws, and out laws, and of course, the odd cousins. i've learned a lot watching you guys, and gals, and hopefully i was able to contribute in some small way. now it's back to my nap, some of us have to work tonight. oh, before i forget, some of us here have been surprised by me, i have another in my sights.:D:thumb:

I joined here a few months back and I'm glad I did. I have had the pleasure to meet many fine people here.
I really enjoy exchanging ideas and offering what I can from my experience and learning from others more experienced than I am. There is a great camraderie in this forum and in the short time I have been here this is the closest I have seen to an open finger pointing argument and camps forming.
It's sad actually because we all get a long great when we stick to woodworking. It's great to share a few laughs in the off topic area and such. As well as to be able to turn to people we have grown to consider good friends and/or extended family in a time of need.
Once we work through this bit of disagreement I am looking forward to us all tipping something cold, giving each other a salute and getting back to what we enjoy most here. Exchanging ideas and learning from each other.
I look forward to seeing this forum grow, and I think that the group build section is a great idea to help that come to fruition.
So let's all pull together, celebrate our differences and do what we do best. Make giant piles of sawdust!:D

Up till about 2 1/2 years ago it was a nice place to visit,...

Then, as happens to so many others, life took an unexpected turn.

I had just joined the forum as "just another forum to pick up some tips" and saw the support provided by the group. That is what made me understand the true nature of this place.:thumb:

I have seen it demonstrated over and over as time has progressed.

I joined basically to be leachlike.(tough word, more like a student)
Suck as much info out of everyone here as I could.
I figured theres at least 10 million hours of experience here, why not use some of it to help my woodworking.

I'll fill the cooler and get the coals hot!:D

careful Rich I'm only 2 hours out or so and have to drive past Bob's to get there.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
To top that rumor has it I have to go put a roof on a house on the cape. I con the big fuzzy guy and his stumpy friend into a drive and you might have to get another job just to fill the cooler.:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I came here to learn what I could about woodworking and to donate any of my learning to others.

It has become family. I have many friends here. Except for this latest harraharah it has been a warm and fuzzy place. I just wish that the people who like to nit pick and argue would go someplace where they would fit in.

I like you. I don't care the color of your skin, what day you celebrate whatever religion you have, whether you pray or not---I like YOU! You are certainly not going to disturb me if you ask someone to pray for your sick wife or whether you say, "Bless you" to someone. Friends just plain don't care about those things.

I feel sorry for the people who have minds so narrow that the word "bless" sends them into a complete tizzy. I don't have religion. However, I appreciate it when someone says, "Bless you" because they are telling me that they care and they are doing it in the best way they know how.

I'm sorry about the tirade. But I hate to see narrow minds try to ruin a great forum.

Enjoy,

Jim

I came here for a second chance...my blood family doesn't really like me much :eek::rofl:

Seriously though...I found this place surfing one afternoon, and read about the box swap.That was enough right there to say I found the right place. Think about it...how many other forums have you seen such camaraderie and generosity, add in the knowledge and the friendly way it's offered, and you'd be hard pressed to find another in the same league! Says a lot about the membership and the fine work of the mods to keep it flowing smoothly. Me? I don't care which way the smoke drifts, it's just a pleasure to be sitting amongst friends loving life, laughter and woodworking! :thumb::wave:

Well i came here a little over 3 years ago. Came from a different fourm that i just never felt comfortable there. When i first got here everyone seemed to want to help, and made me feel like i really belonged. I don't think i knew a single person at that time. Over the years these folkes has not only helped me learn every thing i know about turning. But have become a BIG part of my live. I know for a fact that if it was there lives or mine , it would be mine. That's how strong i feel for family and friends. And yes i believe this place has become not just a woodworking fourm but a place family can come to find friend ship among the long distances we all live. Thank you all for putting up with me, and looking foward to a lot more years of being here.:D:thumb::thumb:

I've been here less than a month, and have never been made to feel more welcome anywhere. Since I have been here, I have been shown nothing but kindness, patience, and even trust. If I ever feel the need to have more stress in my life, I have a few relatives I could look up. :rofl: Thank you for having such a great place where I can learn, and find more ways to spend lots of money. (Don't tell the wife about that last part.) :thumb:

I've been here less than a month, and have never been made to feel more welcome anywhere. Since I have been here, I have been shown nothing but kindness, patience, and even trust. If I ever feel the need to have more stress in my life, I have a few relatives I could look up. :rofl: Thank you for having such a great place where I can learn, and find more ways to spend lots of money. (Don't tell the wife about that last part.) :thumb:

Raymond we will hind nothing from your wife.:thumb::thumb:
That's all on your head:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've been here about 2 1/2 years or so. I googled a router question and it sent me here for the answer. I've been a woodworker all my life but wasn't really a woodworker until so many here helped me understand and enjoy it better. I learn something new here everyday.

What impressed me from day 1 was the family atmosphere and the camaraderie between most members. It was obvious that people really cared for each other.

I wonder how some members would react if they were having Thanksgiving dinner at a family members house or a close friends house and the host said grace before the food was served. Would they be so offended because someone said a prayer that they would leave the table? or would they sit quietly while others enjoyed their moment of peace and thanks.?

To me that's what puts the "Family" in Family Woodworking.

I'm not offended if someone in need asks for a prayer. I'm not offended if someone mentions God, Allah, or Jesus in their sig line. I'm not offended if someone mentions in a post that they feel blessed.

I do feel bothered though if someone feels it necessary to tell me to pray or suggest that my religious beliefs are not right.

I don't often go to church but I consider myself religious. I have personal beliefs that I am very secure with. There couldn't be any post form any person who could change that. Therefore if members of any religion who feel that they need to ask for or offer a prayer I'll be more that happy to comply. That's what family is for.

Personally I am sick and tired of all the bickering on this issue. I'm totally amazed that there are some members who are completely intolerant of others feelings.

As long as this forum remains "Family Woodworking" and doesn't change it's name to "Strictly Woodworking" I'll continue to be tolerant of everyones opinion and religious beliefs as long as they stay within reason and don't preach.

Chuck, I'll buy the beer and steaks if you pick me up on the way to Richs house :D