How long?

My neighbor's dogs don't bother me as much as the neighbors them-selves :rofl:
I 'll shut mine down after a couple of minutes, the older one loves yaking it up with the squirrels :huh:..after dark though, they can all bark as much as they like, we haven't had a break-in around here in over 15 years :thumb:

do you listen to a dog bark before you call the neighbors to quiet them down or if its your dog you do what is nessacary to quiet them down?:dunno::dunno:

I give it about 15 minutes....then find out why the dog is barking....Good thing about us here in a small Community in Florida....we look after each other

We dont let ours bark for very long. I usually shut them right down.
They do make a device called a "barker breaker" that emits a high pitched sound everytime the dog barks. If it becomes a problem you could put one up on your property line aiming at the dog. Humans cant hear it but your neighbors might wonder why barking makes their dog whine. :D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

There is no question---barking dogs have been, by far, the biggest problem here. Don't get me wrong; I don't mind a dog barking. I mind one that barks absolutely constantly for hours at a stretch.

At this time we have no immediate neighbors who have dogs that do prolonged barking. I do hope it stays that way. While we live in the "city" we are in a very quiet neighborhood; sound travels. The nearest neighbor is about 50 feet from our living quarters (about 32 feet from my shop, but in the shop has been no problem). Out the back window it is a couple city blocks to the next neighbor and occasionally their dog barks hours on end.

We can close the windows and that reduces the sound to a "no bother" level. We do not have air-conditioning. We regulate our temp by which windows are open. Having to close windows in Summer is a bummer.

It only takes a few minutes to train a dog not to bark needlessly. Why do they care so little? Are they related to the nit pickers that are causing such disturbance at Fww?

Enjoy,
Jim

Well as you know i don't have any neighbors. Well at least any close enough to see or hear there dogs. So if my dogs start to talk there is a reason. Now normally it is just a deer or some such think, so i'll just turn the out side lite on and yell a few times, and that will scare off the critter. dog shouts up and it's all ok again.:D:thumb::thumb:

Yep Jim them skeeters is just pickin away real annoying. Hum Hum Hum gads never stopping.

Oh talking about dogs about 30 years ago we had some that went after our cows bothered them something fierce Sheriff told us to shoot them so we did.
Got real quiet around there real quick.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
do you listen to a dog bark before you call the neighbors to quiet them down or if its your dog you do what is nessacary to quiet them down?:dunno::dunno:

I haven't read the other posts yet, but wanted to respond based on a real, personal experience. When we first moved to our new home here in Georgia, a neighbor's dog was clearly a nuisance and, I learned from neighbors, had been for many years. I learned the man was a woodworker, among other talents, and we had several conversations during the time I was moving us here. As I was on site more of the time, it became more obvious that his dog was a nuisance barker - didn't matter what - once something triggered her to bark, she fed on her own noise. I talked to other neighbors about the situation and found out that they had adopted the attitude that it just "ain't gonna do any good to talk to 'em about about it". Well, that doesn't work for me.

I spoke to the man about the dog and he was somewhat responsive and said they had tried "bark collars", etc., but nothing seemed to work. I tried to maintain a positive attitude because I know an animal can be rehabilitated - the owners must have to be willing to do something about it. In this case, the man's wife had a reputation of being the neighborhood "witch" and threw her nose in the air at everyone. OK. So, the situation drifted along for a couple of years with me working with the animal control folks, who I learned were powerless, since we live in the county. But, the animal control supervisor told me I could submit video evidence to the local magistrate and they would take care of the nuisance. So, I began to make digital videos of the times the dog would bark incessantly all day long, told animal control I was ready to submit the evidence and they were very supportive. Amazingly, the neighbors immediately placed "no-bark collars" on the dog during the day and the neighborhood was finally at peace.

Perhaps, a no-bark collar would be a good thing for some of us humans at times. :dunno:

I live far out in the country... the neighbors are all about 1/2 mile away, so their dogs don't bother me much... when mine barks I'll try to call her in, but mostly she just looks the other way to tell me she doesn't hear me and goes on with her barking.

Larry I don't mind barking dogs, it shows there's masters igneous to proper training. Some of the time you can give them a bit of wisdom and some of the time you cannot. Sharing wisdom with a barking fool is usually pointless, for wisdom has the same taste to them
as vomit.
I have had a few anti hunters on the shop and they can bark lol about my antler collection. Some I can reasoned with very gently and a couple have beem shown them the door. It all depends on the openess of the person and their receptiveness to learning about the way things were set up.

Last edited: