I miss my farm

Frank Fusco

I raised cattle for about 25 years. For the last 20 our pasture was not where we lived. About four years ago I gave up the cattle. Things change in life and the time had come. We recently signed a contract to sell the acreage and will close in about a month. Today, I went out for the first time in almost a year to get some equipment and tools. Next, I have to get my tractor moved into town for some minor repairs and sell it. But, boy, oh boy, did I get nostalgic looking around that place. I miss it now and will really miss it later. Normally, this time of year, I would still be feeding hay and checking the cows about to drop calves. Man, I'm in the dumpster today. :(

I raised cattle for about 25 years. For the last 20 our pasture was not where we lived. About four years ago I gave up the cattle. Things change in life and the time had come. We recently signed a contract to sell the acreage and will close in about a month. Today, I went out for the first time in almost a year to get some equipment and tools. Next, I have to get my tractor moved into town for some minor repairs and sell it. But, boy, oh boy, did I get nostalgic looking around that place. I miss it now and will really miss it later. Normally, this time of year, I would still be feeding hay and checking the cows about to drop calves. Man, I'm in the dumpster today. :(

Understand that. We sold our first farm/country place.
Now have another, 31 acres. Been here since 1995.
Not selling it. Wife can bury me out back when she gets through with me.:eek:

Frank, you will find something to fill the void, maybe not next week or even next year, but I will come.

You know why you sold the land. I surely hope it wasn't to some hit-and-run developer.:eek: :doh:

Enjoy counting your money. Say, maybe you need to get one of those huge travel RVs that Ned was talking about.:dunno:

Frank,

I miss my log home. Never even had it yet, but I still am missing it something fierce...:huh:

I just walked back from looking at a house for sale, across the street and over 1 home.

The home is in probate, and we think one of the 2 people living in the home died. Nobody is quite sure, but the neighbors know some history.

The court is putting an $800k entry price on the property, 10 percent cashier's check to put a bid in.

The sick thing is that this piece of property is likely to fetch more than $800k, it will be a bidding war...as you think about how much you could get a farm for, to buy a decent piece of land you would want to do that in your area, a bidding war will take place over this shell. It's been pretty well gutted already...Oh, the lot size is 60' x 100', and the home is about 2100 sq.ft. Market value on the home is $1,100,000.

The home does come with a phone...:rofl:

EDIT: this is actually only the phone base, the mobile handset is NOT INCLUDED!

Truth be told, people want to live by me so bad, they're willing to pay close to a mil for a nice home like that! :rofl: Just to back that up, the homes have increased 2x in price since I moved into the neighborhood! :dunno:

Oh, the catch...you HAVE to live in the area to send your kids to the school...and you have to submit a photo copy of the tax receipt that shows you LIVE in the home, not just OWN it...when my kids are outta school...oh when...

Last edited:
Frank, you will find something to fill the void, maybe not next week or even next year, but I will come.

You know why you sold the land. I surely hope it wasn't to some hit-and-run developer.:eek: :doh:

Enjoy counting your money. Say, maybe you need to get one of those huge travel RVs that Ned was talking about.:dunno:

I have taken up woodworking and turning. :eek: I am now working on finishing my third novel. We sit the grands frequently. No voids. But I miss the land and cattle.
Wish there was enough profit to do exciting things. Sadly neighbors on the road in have decided to make their front yard an illegal landfill and the soil has perc. problems. I was lucky to find a buyer at all.
We might be able to replace our falling-apart 1991 Olds station wagon with something that is a little more economical and doesn't look like a drug-runners special.