Nova mini jaw set at Woodcraft

That would be a handy set (at what I think is a pretty good price) for someone who does a lot of smaller turnings. :thumb:

Ok here is yet another question from the nooby.
I see in this set a mini spigot jaw and I also see that they have a set of pin jaws.
If I wanted to get a set for turning say, a small finial or such. Mainly would be used in contraction mode but also occasionaly used to hold a vessel if/when I start hollowing. Which would be the most versatile? I am debating on this set or just getting the pin jaws and I'm not sure which way to go.

The pin jaws are primarily use in expansion mode. I thinks the mini jaw set would be more versatile.

One thing to watch for as you get into this hobby is buying things you think you might need before you actually need them. (Same goes for flatwork though, too.) I've got a bunch of tools that seemed like a great idea at the time, since it seemed everybody had one, only to find that I seldom if ever use them. I'm not saying the mini jaws or pin jaws fall into this category (and in fact you might use them a lot), but just wanted to pass along the caution. The abyss is expensive enough...no need to buy things you won't use.

The pin jaws are primarily use in expansion mode. I thinks the mini jaw set would be more versatile.

One thing to watch for as you get into this hobby is buying things you think you might need before you actually need them. (Same goes for flatwork though, too.) I've got a bunch of tools that seemed like a great idea at the time, since it seemed everybody had one, only to find that I seldom if ever use them. I'm not saying the mini jaws or pin jaws fall into this category (and in fact you might use them a lot), but just wanted to pass along the caution. The abyss is expensive enough...no need to buy things you won't use.

Im no stranger to that in the flatwork department:rofl: Tools that "made sense" at the time, got used once and never to be seen again....

I know I will be turning small stuff as well as bigger stuff (as big as my lathe will allow that is). As a set this seems like a good value for, as you said, small turnings, which I am thinking of finials, some tool handles, small vessels and such. If the spigot jaws are the ones I need for this over the pin jaws than it should be worth it for this kit.

As always thanks for the advice!
Oh, and Vaughn?... do you ever sleep:D

One thing to watch for as you get into this hobby is buying things you think you might need before you actually need them. (Same goes for flatwork though, too.) I've got a bunch of tools that seemed like a great idea at the time, since it seemed everybody had one, only to find that I seldom if ever use them.

Truer words were never spoken.

After listening to Vaughn's advice and reflection on my early and still now and then history with flatwork tools... I passed on this sale as well. I just don't know yet which jaws I really need.
I did however invest in a Blackhawk sharpening system from Capn Eddie as I know I need and will use that. I also purchased a 2 inch roughing gouge and a 3/8 bowl gouge which I also know I will use alot.

..... and so it begins..............:eek:

Thank you again Vaughn for helping me see that my impetuosity was flying in the face of reasoned thought......