Computer hookup question

S

Steve Clardy

Can I hook two computer boxes together by USB cable and everything operate properly?

Main box would show box two as another drive?

I've tried the cat5 cable hookup.
I have not been able to get them to reconize each other. I'm tired of that approach. Both run XP Pro

Steve,

Did you use the correct Cat 5 cable? There's an "Ethernet" cable and a "Crossover" cable, IIRC. One may work while the other won't... (Sorry, I'm a Mac guy and things work different/easier...)

I don't think USB will work...

You can get USB networking cables, but I've never used them :huh:

The Cat5 cable is the way to go, but if there are just 2 PCs on the network you have to set up the IP address manually (the default is auto IP allocation) and change the firewall setting to allow file and print sharing. Setting the workgroup id to the same name helps too. If you dont have a network hub you will need a crossover patch lead between the 2 PCs, not a normal one.

It will be one of these things that stopped it working ;)

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
Steve,

Did you use the correct Cat 5 cable? There's an "Ethernet" cable and a "Crossover" cable, IIRC. One may work while the other won't... (Sorry, I'm a Mac guy and things work different/easier...)

I don't think USB will work...

OK. Lets see. I have a Cat5E cable I bought several years ago.

Plugs look like an oversized telephone cable plug.

You can get USB networking cables, but I've never used them :huh:

The Cat5 cable is the way to go, but if there are just 2 PCs on the network you have to set up the IP address manually (the default is auto IP allocation) and change the firewall setting to allow file and print sharing. Setting the workgroup id to the same name helps too. If you dont have a network hub you will need a crossover patch lead between the 2 PCs, not a normal one.

It will be one of these things that stopped it working ;)

Cheers

Ian

I have no network [a seperate box?]. Just the cable.
Both have ethernet plugins on back.

Ok!!! So thats the whole problem.

I have a cat5E ethernet cable:eek:
Both ends are the same :huh:
Edit. The plastic plugs are the same, but the wires are crossed. ??

I'll go check the links guys. Thanks:wave:

Last edited:
I saw that title and thought you where looking for a date for your computer :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Problem is, I don't know if its female or male:huh:

This main box is about 8-9 months old. Been working real nice, no problems to speak of. Maybe it's Male?:huh: :dunno: :rofl:

Steve....think of it this way......two of the wires in that cable ...1 is transmit...1 is receive........on a Cat5 cable....both ends are wired the same....on a crossover cable those two wires at one end are reversed...they have to be for the two computers to talk to each other.......One easy and cheap method is to get an ethernet hub. You don't need any crossover cables ...just cat5 cables and......they can talk to each other and......in my case...both computers connect to the cable modem independently so one doesn't have to be turned on for the other one to work.

Ok. I do have a crossover cable.
Green and orange are switched on one end.

Hmmm

I'll play with it again this evening

Ok!!! So thats the whole problem.

I have a cat5E ethernet cable:eek:
Both ends are the same :huh:
Edit. The plastic plugs are the same, but the wires are crossed. ??

I'll go check the links guys. Thanks:wave:

The plastic plugs will be the same on both cables. The color coded wires are what counts Steve. If the wires are opposites, it's a crossover cable.

DT

Steve....think of it this way......two of the wires in that cable ...1 is transmit...1 is receive........on a Cat5 cable....both ends are wired the same....on a crossover cable those two wires at one end are reversed...they have to be for the two computers to talk to each other.......One easy and cheap method is to get an ethernet hub. You don't need any crossover cables ...just cat5 cables and......they can talk to each other and......in my case...both computers connect to the cable modem independently so one doesn't have to be turned on for the other one to work.

And... :rofl: If you decide to get the hub, go one step more and get a wireless base station (router). If your computers are relatively new, they should already have wireless cards in them. You can connect the computers without cables.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/default.mspx

Good luck Steve

DT

Just to add to the confussion Steve. :D I am really happy with using a router to network my computers. I can share internet connections. Share files between computers. I back up data from one to the other. And wireless it really nice! But I hard wired my house when I built it.

Regardless, there is a great site on Networking computers. When I first set mine up and I could get nothing to work. I found this site and followed one of his tutorials and it it worked the first attempt.

http://www.homenethelp.com/

Jeff

Might be of help

Steve,

If you decide to go with the wireless router. Also since I was not able to help you out with your shop problems. I have a brand new Netgear WGT624 router still in box that has never been used I will give you. I opened up the box, read instructions:dunno: and decided I had better stick to saws and routers (wood) although not real smart at that either:doh:

I am sure that someone on here can tell you if this will work for you.

Chuck

Steve,

If you decide to go with the wireless router. Also since I was not able to help you out with your shop problems. I have a brand new Netgear WGT624 router still in box that has never been used I will give you. I opened up the box, read instructions:dunno: and decided I had better stick to saws and routers (wood) although not real smart at that either:doh:

I am sure that someone on here can tell you if this will work for you.

Chuck

Hey. Thanks Chuck!!
Let me figure out what I am, or actually need to do.
Unless the fella that made this crossover cable didn't get it made right [I watched him puts the ends on the cable], I do :huh: apparently have the right crossover cable. Maybe I just didn't get the settings right on the two boxes to see each other.
I'll holler back at you. Maybe a wireless will be the easy way out? :huh:
I would pay your shipping costs on the wireless box.
Steve

Steve, if I remember correctly you will find most of those settings in the control panel under networking. You have to turn on sharing for those items you want to share between computers. I can't check it for sure for you. I no longer have a PC in the house.
I have got more cables and cords than the law allows. Don't buy any. Just let me know what you need.

DT