My Second Finial Star

Here is my second finial star and is from some pecan I got from Mike Smith. I was just sick as I was turning the lid I had turned to get another tool and heard a pop. I turned around to look and the lid had split into. So the lid is maple. Both pieces are dyed with the under side of the lid and inside the bowl green. The outside was dyed red both using transtint dye. It is finished with lacquer and is 6" across and 6 1/2" high. I really like the way this one turned out. My son asked me if he could buy it and mom just told my son 1/2 hr ago that is was not for sale period.

Attachments

• Finial Star 1.jpg
    Finial Star 1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Finial Star 2.jpg
    Finial Star 2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Finial Star 3.jpg
    Finial Star 3.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Finial Star 4.jpg
    Finial Star 4.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 38
The first one was tremendous, this one is just stunning!!!!!!! I like the first one a lot, this one, the wings seem more upswept, the lid sits down in it, really like it from a whole 'nother perspective. The dye job, that is amazing. It is a homerun also!!! Man, that is a whole new opportunity for sales. Someone doesn't like that, they need to be checked for a pulse!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Bernie,

Do you ever enter any art contests? Because I think with your latest sets of turnings you've really latched onto something. The style of the objects, the finishes, I really think you are doing some very creative work.

:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks again.

Brent I have entered 7 of my pieces in a juried art show which takes in what we call the tri-state area. Artist from Eastern Colorado, Western Nebraska and Western Kansas enter this show. I have gotten 3 blues and one grand champion. But hey this is just small Ag town Goodland, Ks. i wouldn't stand a chance against the big dogs for sure.:rofl::rofl:

Another very nice piece, Bernie. :clap: I like the proportions better, and from the looks of the finial (and the one on your other star box), I can tell you've been paying attention to Cindy's video. :thumb:

Hi Bernie.
By looking at it I would have thought that you had been making dozens of them and not that it was your second. Where had you been hiding or devoted to this talent?

I fully agree with your wife and your son, if I was him I would like to buy it, and if it was mine I would not sell it.

BTW Would you accept overseas comisions?:whistling:

Thanks Toni. I haven't shipped anything overseas. My concern is I don't like making exact copies of others turnings and selling them. This is a copy off Cinday Drozda's DVD Finial Star. I am going to try and come up with my own version of it and see where it goes from there. Then I might consider the commission. Thank you for the offer though. I appreciate it.

Last edited: