mahogany lingerie cabinet

allen levine

Not sure what else to call it.
I wanted to make my wife a gift, since shes the only person I never made anything for, besides a box or cutting board.
Its her birthday beginning of Oct, I wont be close, but Ill let her know its coming.

I had a 10 foot and 8 foot board of mahogany that was obviously planed and milled down to around 13/16. It was 13 inches wide.
I wanted the depth of my cabinet to be 14-14.5 inches, but changed my plans.
After some jointing, the cabinet box will be 12.5 inches in depth, 18 or so inches wide, and 42.5 inches high.
I will add 16 inch tapered legs with apron(mahogany as well) making the overall height of the piece 58.5 inches.(or close to it)
I drew it out, but will wing it on the drawer fronts.

By not gluing up the sides of the cabinet, I didnt have to break out the drum sander, was able to give the boards one light pass through the planer to bring it down to 3/4.

My plans are to make all solid drawers, all dovetailed, put them on wood slides attached to the side of the cabinet with dado's on the drawer sides.
The drawer fronts will be spalted maple.(6 drawers total)
Im going to also attempt, to build a pull that will be one long snake looking walnut handle only cut with 1/8 inch separation between each drawer front.

Thats my plans. Whether or not I can do it, Im not sure.
My confidence is there, my talent, well, I know where I stand and this is a huge challenge for me.
Nothing will be hand cut, all machined dovetails.
The drawers are a mixture of "white" hardwoods. Soft maple, birch, and a piece or two of sycamore. Trying to use up my short pieces.
Some interested looking figure in some of the drawer sides.

Its only wood. If it doesnt work out, Ill cut down the mahogany and use it for something eventually.
Its also going to be a very slow, long build, since like usual, Im not feeling well, have a load of doctors appt over the next 2 weeks, and my sister is coming up for a visit so Ill be tied up with her.

Just sharing a project.

Heres where Im at, cabinet box is made, drawer pieces are cut to size and ready for dovetails.(the drawers will not fit like that, I just stacked them to see if I come up same height on both sides, they will be evened out ofcourse)
did not glue up the cabinet yet,

Attachments

• cabinet 003 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 003 (Medium).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 77
  • cabinet 004 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 004 (Medium).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 80
  • cabinet 005 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 005 (Medium).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 77
  • cabinet 006 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 006 (Medium).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 76
  • cabinet 007 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 007 (Medium).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 80
  • cabinet 008 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 008 (Medium).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Looks like you have a good start, Allen. That's some nice looking mahogany. I'm sure LOYL will love it! Keep us up to date on your progress.

Love your builds Allen.

So what, this is going to take a long time?

Let's see, In 'Allen time', a long time Might equal a week.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

putting in shop time on a jewish holiday.(If I offend anyone for working in the shop today, Im sorry. After 3-4 days dealing with diverticulitis attack,yes, I am a big mess, I felt a bit stronger today and needed to take my mind off things and relax)

After recutting a couple of pieces I totally messed up, 85% my fault, 15% the jigs fault, I managed to get all the drawers glued up, all the cuts made, and I made some white oak slides.(QS white oak at that)
I put a upspiral bit into the router table and elonged one hole where I will be attaching the slide to the cabinet wall. I figured if I glue and screw one end, Ill use a screw on the other end with the ability to let the cabinet expand and contract, I believe this will be enough for the movement.(Im winging it as usual, its new territory for me)

Just a few pics of how Im going to be setting up the drawers with the wood slides.
There will be a drawer front with rabbetted edges going 1/4 in over the cabinet front edges so the slides wont be seen when drawers are closed.
The slide in the picture is the one hole I messed up but its useable.
(I dadoes out the bottom not concerned that the slot would be visible from the back and front of the drawer since there will be a drawer front and noone should be looking at the back of the drawers, I really dont like people looking at my wifes drawers)
The couple of pieces I had to recut I ended up using cherry so I didnt have to cut down a new maple board. I like using my short pieces whenever I can.

Attachments

• cabinet 015 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 015 (Medium).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 42
  • cabinet 012 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 012 (Medium).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 42
  • cabinet 010 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 010 (Medium).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I think I let my ambition get in the way of my actual talent.
Wood on wood, well, when a drawer comes out it just feels old fashioned.
Like the dresser I had when I was 10, no drawer slides, just wood rubbing against wood.
I didnt realize why this wasnt a good idea, thought Id use all wood, skip hardware besides a few screws.
I spent most of the day tweaking the drawers so they glide in and out freely, but it still feels "old fashioned" to me.
It lacks the smooth glide of even a cheap bottom drawer slide.
I had to give the wood a bit of movement space so it would glide in and out, not the smooth tight fit of metal glides.

I was reluctant today to continue, but Its only wood.
Too many great craftsmen on this site showing their work drove me to try something different.
Even off 1/64th, a wood glide will stick and bind the drawer. I cant even see a 64th with my good glasses on!
FIDDLESTICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if Im going to cut down some of the spalted maple boards I have left for drawer fronts. I could stop the project and make it into a shop cabinet to hold hardware.

Not discouraged, just a bit dissapointed. Some of you guys make it all look so easy.

Heres with the drawers fitted in, I had to reclamp the bottom, seemed I didnt clamp properly at first and had a bit of seperation of the joint.

Attachments

• cabinet 016 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 016 (Medium).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 37
  • cabinet 018 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 018 (Medium).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 37
Maybe some wax on the wood slides :dunno:

Absolutely. I have hard maple slides in ash drawer sides that I waxed with paraffin and they have been smooth as silk for years. This cabinet is really coming along Allen. Your dovetails look great and trying new things is what keeps the hobby fresh and fun.

Hemming and hawing over the fact that something might not come out perfect the first time doesn't get anything done or anything learned. Your projects just keep getting better and better and more fin to watch. Hope you feel better every day and I'll be watching your progress with interest :thumb:

Attachments

• Copy of drawer-fitting.jpg
    Copy of drawer-fitting.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 25
  • drawers-runners-2.jpg
    drawers-runners-2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 24
  • drawers-runners-3.jpg
    drawers-runners-3.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 27