Destroying Screw Heads And More

mike marvel

See Warning**

A tool used correctly is much more efficient, and produces good results. If one wants to totally demolish a phillips head when driving a screw, there are a few tips I can give. First use the fastest speed your tool has. Second, manage to be off the line of the screw, that is maintain a slight angle to the screw. Third, try to have minimal pressure on the screw bit into the screw head. Fourth, after the screw has seated, leave the bit spinning in the head.

Other tips for disaster: Don't bother to take the time to predrill any holes. Having the screw split the wood is only a minor setback. Having the screw skip off the starting point will allow your bit to nicely plow into the wood and leave a distinct pattern of the bit. Better than that, you could be lucky enough to have the bit skip off the screw and plunge directly into a portion of your hand causing you to bleed all over the work.

Another tip of the day for those who like objects falling on their face, is not to predrill for holes above your head. Try to keep the screw on the cool magnetic bit/holder for overhead work, and manage to do it directly above your face. Try to hold several screws in the freehand while doing this so they can also fall onto your face.

For the muscle bound grip of steel craftsmen out there, holding heavy parts or ill fitted parts with one hand and driving screws with the other is a real time saver and proves clamps aren't really necessary.

It's not necessary to take the time to figure out what length screw should be used. Make sure it's a little long so it will poke through the other side giving maximum grip. There's holes to fill anyway.

Make sure short screws keeps spinning when fully seated. This assures that they won't go any deeper. Countersinking may be a useless step. Having protruding screw heads are so much easier to find.

For maximum bodily injury, work so that the screw/driver is pointing at your face or body.

**Warning: These are tips from a been there done that guy that should NOT be followed, or tried.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Great tips, Mike. And when the head on the phillips screw just starts to strip out, crank up the drill to full speed and push harder. This ensures the crater you wallow out is smooth and nicely rounded. :thumb: :p

Well, that's all well and good for you guys who still use phillips screws, but what tips do you have for use robertson screw users? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I just plain don't purchase screws that are not square drive and, unless it it an emergency, they come from McFeeley.

Now my wife's brother would promptly reply to that, "That's one doggone fool's opinion.

However, I have never managed to strip one nor break one and I literally love the way the screw stays on the bit no matter how you hold the driver.

No I don't own any McFeeley stock either.

Enjoy,

JimB

I'm sorry about being so wishy-washy about my opinion on this subject.

Last edited: