Display Carts

Stuart Ablett

As you most likely have heard, or can imagine, space is a very expensive commodity here in Tokyo. Retail space is NOT to be wasted. In front of our open case display fridges, we had some space, so we put some boxes of products there, this led to the boxes being placed on upside down club soda cases, to get the boxes off the floor. This whole thing just kind evolved over time, there was no real plan.

This is how it looked.......
fridge_carts_before_1.jpg

fridge_carts_before_2.jpg

fridge_carts_before_3.jpg

... yes, it did not look to pretty, but sometimes that is not the first thing on your mind in a retail business.

One day my lovely wife looked at that and said to me "Could you make some kind of cart that would hold the product on top, but have some space below for extra stock?" Of course I said "Sure thing sweetie!" and then I started to think about it. I wanted the carts to be strong but simple and to take up a little less floor space too, as I don't like all this stuff sitting on the floor, I think it clutters up the shop.

This is what I came up with.....

fridge_carts_after_1.jpg

fridge_carts_after_2.jpg

fridge_carts_after_3.jpg

This is nothing great when it comes to cabinet work, just simple function, but I made them good and stout, they are made from 18mm solid core plywood, paint grade for sure, but all dadoed together, glued and stapled. I filled in the staple holes and used some wood filler stuff on the edges of the plywood, then sanded, and a couple of coats of left over paint from the Aparto II job and I was done. There are some small casters under the carts, as the switch for the lights of the open case fridges are behind the carts.

I'm sure that the Monster-In-Law will hate them, but my lovely wife is pleased, so the Monster-In-Law can pound sand :rolleyes: :D :rofl:

Sometimes small simple projects like this can be very rewarding!

If the MIL hates those, well she would have to have a hard heart. Those look way better than the upside down crates and serve the purpose much better. :thumb: :thumb:

You saved yourself at least 700-1000 dollars(USD) for custom display units.
Id say they are very nice cabinets that not only saved you a fortune, but will pay for themselves in a short time, not to mention how much nicer and more professional, organized and convenient they are then milk crates.

I only asked Stu because I saw the open shelves and didn't think there should be cooler units under it. I agree with everyone else, so much nicer looking. Bet they won't collect near the dust. But on the other token, will they allow air movement for the cooler units behind them so they don't overheat?

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Staying true to form, the Monster-In-Law asked why I wasted time and money building these new carts, just a waste of both, the other set up was fine, also she has decided that they are dangerous, because in a big earthquake they can roll across the floor and hit someone :rolleyes: :doh:What an idiot!

I only asked Stu because I saw the open shelves and didn't think there should be cooler units under it. I agree with everyone else, so much nicer looking. Bet they won't collect near the dust. But on the other token, will they allow air movement for the cooler units behind them so they don't overheat?

The unit for heat exchange is outside, so there is no problem with airflow! :thumb:

Looks like a great solution, Stu. :thumb:

How's the MIL's sand pounding coming along? :p I'm starting to get the impression that maybe she doesn't like you. :rofl:

Is this the kind of thing that (regular) customers notice and comment on? Just wondering if your MIL would shoot down any positive remarks, or change her mind about how good of an idea it was or (I hope not) publicly take credit for the idea while still canning it in private. :dunno:

I'm sure there are other options too ... how did Frank used to put it? Something like "Folks sure are funny critters." :huh:

Those display carts look really grate such a major improvement. :thumb::thumb:

Nothing about your Mil surprises me anymore. I guess we will be blown away when oneday she actually turns a corner and says Stu well done. But we will watch for the Tsunami on the same day in the news.:rofl:

You lucky you dont let er get to you. I doubt i have the same makings were i in your shoes.

How's the MIL's sand pounding coming along? :p I'm starting to get the impression that maybe she doesn't like you. :rofl:

You think? :rofl::rofl:

I am kinda thinking Stu you could probably make a TV show out of your relationship with your MIL. Something like the Everybody Loves Raymond except change it to Stu.:rofl: