Neanderthal Haven...

Gary Zimmel

Glenn made mention of posting a few pics of my Neander Haven a while ago.
Well here is a quick summary of one of the most labor intensive project I have done to date.
Close to eight months in the making and I'm not to sure how many hours at nights and weekends....
It all started as I wanted part of my shop to be dedicated to hand tools.

And so it started.....
Good tools make it a lot easier to do the job.

3.jpg

And now a bunch of dovetails, a bunch of them..
Enough for 48 drawers that are all 1/2 blinds

6.jpg7.jpg

9.jpg

More than a few feet of cherry and aspen or birch was needed for all the drawers.

2.jpg

And after a bit, a long bit, we started to see how this will start to look.

1.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
Finished product

And here was the results of all my efforts...
A ton of storage with everything in it's place
Five drawers for all the chisels. And a saw till to hold my addiction to saws..

19.jpg11.jpg

A complete set of LN bench and block planes

12.jpg

And the space in my shop that puts a grin on my face every time I walk into it...

14.jpg

15.jpg

Hope everyone has been getting a little shop time..

Last edited:
he already did tom:) excellent display of fine craftsmanship, i could retire on your tool investment:) thanks for psoting this and ,glenn for twisting his arm so we all could see..

he already did tom:) excellent display of fine craftsmanship, i could retire on your tool investment:) thanks for psoting this and ,glenn for twisting his arm so we all could see..

Sorry, I am a slow typist and he posted those while I was typing:p DANG nothing but AWESOME:D:thumb: thanks for sharing Gary:thumb::thumb:

Thanks guys.
The real neat thing about this was it was a build as you go project.
This is one of those things that really got out of hand...;)

As I type my winter project has started.
First thing I have done is pick up 12 sheets of cherry ply.
You got to love a cherry shop...

Please tell me when you order a complete set of LN Bench and Block planes that you get some kind of quantity discount! :eek:

I'm really hoping you ordered them all at one time. I can imaging how much the delivery guy would have complained about the weight!

And how fun would it be to go through the box! :thumb:

The more I look at this thread the more impressed I am, I am getting ready for a shop expansion and I sure would like to include some of your layout. Guaranteed not near as expansive or filled with goodies, but man what a great layout and inspiration:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I wish it was one delivery Brent..
But my wood guy a few years ago started selling LN here. Every time I went in to pick up some wood a plane or two would leave with me.
Then I took a course from Rob Cosman. Started ordering from Rob. Found that if you leave these things alone they multiply on there own. ;)
As Rob had back orders from LN, I finished off the set from LN.
My bench was also built by LN. A lefty version of Cosmans bench with a scandinavian vice to do dovetails and a wagon vice at the other end. 8" long and weighs a ton. LN only made a couple of these.

I wish it was one delivery Brent..
But my wood guy a few years ago started selling LN here.

I was wondering what you were doing buying LN, when you've got a lovely LVT store right in your backyard in Edmonton. (that was the store that introduced me to LV, and I have fond memories of it... ;) )

Gorgeous shop corner. Looks like a pretty high ceiling. It's not a basement, is it?

That's a beautiful setup, Gary. Great design, excellent craftsmanship, and filled with a dream collection of goodies. Thanks for posting the photos. :thumb:

Ya know, if you keep practicing, I think you just might get that whole dovetail thing down. :p

gary, what size shop do you have and how many years experience woodworking?

Allen, we are quite fortunate and have a 2700 sq. ft. out building on our acreage that has a couple of purposes. My shop is 1050 sq. ft. and the horse portion (which is separate) is 1050 sq. ft. We also have a 600 sq. ft. suite in the building which I use as a finishing room. Haven't made any brownie points on what I have done to the flooring in there...
I am a carpenter by trade (another life time ago) and 8 years ago bought new tools and started getting serious into the wood working hobby.
Power and hand tools make up all of my projects.
Over the past few years I have taken courses from Rob C. and that is where I have got this neander bug.
That I have found is a real deep hole when it comes to tools...

Last edited:
Allen, we are quite fortunate and have a 2700 sq. ft. out building on our acreage that has a couple of purposes. My shop is 1050 sq. ft. and the horse portion (which is separate) is 1050 sq. ft. We also have a 600 sq. ft. suite in the building which I use as a finishing room. Haven't made any brownie points on what I have done to the flooring in there...
I am a carpenter by trade (another life time ago) and 8 years ago bought new tools and started getting serious into the wood working hobby.
Power and hand tools make up all of my projects.
Over the past few years I have taken courses from Rob C. and that is where I have got this neander bug.
That I have found is a real deep hole when it comes to tools...

This is almost like the guy the walks on the Snap On truck tosses the owner his wallet & drives the fully loaded truck home. WOW TWO WOW's actually when you include the cabinets & the 8" bench don't know what you'd do with such a short bench though...:rofl::rofl::rofl::wave::ee

Pardon me while I go get a bib before my second look see.

Last edited: