Shop Fox W1741 on CL

I would not hesitate at that price get a call off to him/her asap before its gone. Need to inspect it to check on a few things but that can come before you hand over the $$

Oh Vaughn get the tailgate lift ready ...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Man you got a good eye where were you when i was buying tools. I could have used you for an agent.:):thumb:

Mohammad here is the closest Grizzly version and Grizzly as i know it is the owner of the Shop Fox brand.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jointer-with-Parallelogram-Beds/G0490

I would say getting it at half price is a real good deal looking at it in the pictures he has the fence off for some reason maybe to show the cutters.

Looking again i notice there is no drive belt that should be going round the pulley in the center and meeting up with the motor which should be in the cabinet under neath the pulley.

I would want to see that the fence is not damaged and that it still runs so it needs to be put together again. Knives can always be sharpened but a cracked or bent fence defeats its operational purpose. Same goes with the beds. They can be trued up and adjusted but you need to check they aint damaged. This is a look alike to the delta everyone likes.

Its got a magnetic switch which is a big plus not something that comes on every machine. Note that its 220v but mine is also. Its got a good 3HP motor so lots of heft and its plenty wide enough for a hobbyist.

Mohammad this guy looks like a dealer so be cautious. For him to let it go at that price he had to pick it up for way less. Could be a demo or a return he seems to be a shopfox dealer he has a few other machines for sale on the same listing.

Last edited:
Looks like there's some assembly required, and I'd look closely to be sure all the parts are there and in good shape. Other than that, it sounds like one heck of a good price.

Shop Fox is indeed made by Grizzly, although their machines usually have a few upgraded items compared to the Griz equivalent. I've been happy with my Shop Fox bandsaw and mortising machine.

I'd be more worried about the beds than the fence. Bring a straight edge to make sure they're flat. The jointer is adjustable so a small amount out of parrallel can be adjusted. I'm assuming the parts for the g0490 would fit the shopfox jointer, if so even buying the jointer and replacing the fence would still be a good price. I have the g0490X and love it, nice machine.

The top of the jointer is not on the base correctly. You're looking at the back side of the beds, but the front of the base if you look at the dust port and caster on the right. The belt woudln't even be able to be attached like that. It probably was either disassembled to move, or it has never been used possibly.

I'd be more worried about the beds than the fence. Bring a straight edge to make sure they're flat. The jointer is adjustable so a small amount out of parrallel can be adjusted. I'm assuming the parts for the g0490 would fit the shopfox jointer, if so even buying the jointer and replacing the fence would still be a good price. I have the g0490X and love it, nice machine.

The top of the jointer is not on the base correctly. You're looking at the back side of the beds, but the front of the base if you look at the dust port and caster on the right. The belt woudln't even be able to be attached like that. It probably was either disassembled to move, or it has never been used possibly.

Jeb you absolutely correct. My apologies Mohammad i interpreted the image incorrectly. :doh::eek:

Looks like the assembly manual is laying on top of the jointer, and from the parts shown, I'm guessing that jointer has never been assembled or used. You might well be getting a virtually brand new tool (like the bandsaw was!)

BTW, Battell's Hardware in Downey is (or at least was when I lived in SoCal) a Shop Fox dealer. I bought my cabinet saw from them.

Jim you have a good point because if one checks out the other listings this guy has all look like they either just been unpacked as well.

Could be a liquidation sale Mohammad. Dont discount it till you see the machine.

I just got back home after viewing the jointer. This jointer was in a private garage of an apartment building. Some other items that he was selling were a 19" Shopfox bandsaw, shopfox 15" planer, 80 gallon Husky compressor, Ridgid DP and a Delta table saw. He told me that his cabinet shop business went belly up. I think he was telling the truth.

The jointer was in fair condition. I didn't see any cracks on the fence or the beds. I didn't have an straight edge with me so couldn't test the flatness. The beds had a coating of light rust but nothing that a good dose of elbow grease couldn't get rid of. Parts were taken off and as Jeb said, the top was mounted in reverse with the belt off.

The biggest issue that I had was that the garage didn't have power outlets and the jointer is 200v as well, so there was no way to test it. I won't have 220v in my garage for sometime as well.

If the machine doesn't show signs of a lot of use, chances are the motor works fine. (It's not likely that he'd be selling a bunch of tools and displaying them at his apartment if he was trying to pawn off a faulty jointer.)

I kind of sounds like the jointer was disassembled, maybe to get it moved to its current location. If that's the case, there's possibly some setup and tweaking that would be necessary to get things lined up, but I'll bet it's a serviceable machine once everything's put together. For that price, I'd be sorely tempted. That's about $150 more than I paid for my 6" jointer new.

Jim, Battel's is in Whittier now.

http://www.battels.com/

I got my Shop Fox bandsaw and mortiser from them. :thumb:

i agree with vaughn on this jointer,, and if he had any other tools your interested in maybe a group buy could get lower pricing.. i understand the no power to check if it works but sometimes you need to go on faith of the seller ,, mention to him your concerns and read his reactions..

at $1350 on amazon for a new one, you can add $300 for new motor to the asking price and still be safe........ BUY IT!!

Last edited:
I was tempted to make an offer but decided to hold off. He didn't look like the slick salesman type. He was from Brazil and his english was a lot worse than mine.

Vaughn, you are right. The jointer was disassembled because it was easier to move that way and it was sharing a one car garage with several other large tools.

Larry, I have seen it go for $900, new.

well that makes the chances less then far as costs goes but still looks safe to me.. maybe you can get it for less if you wait a day or two the guy might get more willing to deal..???

Mohammad i would totally agree with Vaughn and Larry.

Any chance you could get a family member out your way to go back with you. I would but the lear jet is in for service after the NN shoved a bird in the engine.:) Sorry i have no idea of distance between all you guys. Thinking aloud there may be possibility to get it to a local location just to run the motor. Hey were there is a will there is a way. :) A decent 3HP machine is likely to be 220v more often than not just because of current draw.
Thats a real good price Mohammad i would encourage you to give it a further look.

But there is another angle to this whole issue to consider.

Vaughn recently made a really good point about not buying a tool unless you need it. I know we all would like to get in on buying rough lumber and processing it ourselves. But.....one also needs to factor in just how much time one gets in ones shop and just how much lumber you will use on an annual basis.
I for one have been more of a service to my friends with my jointer than using it for myself. Add to that the fact that my local lumber yard will surface and joint lumber as a service economically if i purchase lumber there and i think had i thought this through a little less impulsively and less "romantically" i would not have bought my machine and had an aircraft carrier taking up so much space in my shop. Besides what is a jointer plane for and good for fitness too.

But if you look at the price of a good Ln or Lv jointer plane well you nearly there for this whole machine.

Many ways to skin the cat. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Larry, I think not being able to test the tools is the reason why he is having a hard time getting rid of them. I may go for it if he accepts a lower price. I will wait a couple of days and then make an offer, if it is still available.

Rob, I have had my fair share of impulse buys. I bought Lie Nielson planes and chisels while I was taking a hand tools class. I have never used them since then. The power tools were purchased on CL and even if I had to re-sell them, I think I will get a price fairly close to what I had paid.