Idaho Chocolate end tables - Finished Pics

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Yes, Chocolate does grow in Idaho! This came from a friends tree here in town that I had sawn up several years ago. I've been asked to build two end tables for a client. She gave me pictures and said - "build it like this but without the shelf and a little narrower." So, here's what's been done so far.

Table 1 Dry assembly 2.JPGTable 1 Dry assembly 3.JPG

The first table is rectangular. The second will be round. Hope to get that one started over the weekend.

Last edited:
Your legs aside, the table is looking great. What a thrill to build out of local materials that have a story behind them . . . besides "I drove to the lumber yard and came home with this".

I looked at the picture first and thought that looks familiar but its missing the shelf.:rofl::rofl:

So i think you nailed it. Thats gonna be one happy customer. I hope the price was right. You deserve to get paid well for work like that.:thumb::thumb:

Update 10-6-11

Been a while since I posted on these. They are nearing assembly! One or two more coats of varnish and the base will go together. I won't build the drawer till then as I want to make sure it fits! :rofl:

Much thanks to Dave Richards for guiding me through some of the sketch up challenges. :thumb:

Here are all the parts waiting for that last coat of varnish.
All parts (800 x 610).jpg

Close up of the leg mortise.
Mortise (331 x 800).jpg

I assemble the aprons and rails as a unit and then machine the tenons. To me, this seems the easiest way and I think it produces a strong joint.
Tenon (800 x 531).jpg

Here is the top.
Top (800 x 630).jpg

and the legs for the mate to this table. The legs (yes 5 - I made an extra just in case) are a slightly scaled down version of the first table. Table one is 20" wide and 27" deep. Table two will be 18" round and I thought the full sized leg would look too heavy.
Small Legs (800 x 531).jpg

rennie how did you keep the finish off the tenons and the mortices so well??? nice looking set and the color is great:)
Everything I put on is with a rag - cotton folded into a pad - so it's rather easy to just avoid those areas. My tenons are a few 1000ths oversize so any finish that gets on them will be sanded off.

Getting close to the finish line

Here's the larger table. The base is finished and needs only a wax and rubbing (and one rail to keep the drawer from tipping). The small table, not pictured, is getting varnished. The drawers are walnut and Kosmowski maple.:D

IMG_0289 (750 x 677).jpgIMG_0290 (656 x 750).jpg