Sliding Stop Block, No Trapped Cutoffs

glenn bradley

Many of you have probably seen this in one of the trade rags. I took a few moments and built one. Can't believe how much I use it :huh:. Really came in handy when cutting of tenons from a long piece of prepared stock. The "bridge" looking piece straddles the stationary stop block.

sled sliding stop block (1).jpg sled sliding stop block (2).jpg

Slide it to the left and hold it with your finger while you run your stock up against it. Hold your stock, slide the bridge piece to the right and make your cut.

sled sliding stop block (4).jpg sled sliding stop block (5).jpg

No captured piece to get unexpectedly launched. Rinse and repeat.

sled sliding stop block (6).jpg sled sliding stop block (7).jpg

That's pretty slick, Glenn. I hadn't seen that one. (But then again, I'm down to only one magazine, and it's about woodturning.)

glenn you have shown so many time those rockler clamps that you use for everything and i am finally convinced that i need some!!!! i have thought many times about them and just grabbed a clamp from the rack and went on my merry way but your uses make it so much cleaner and simpler that i will submit this time:) Glenn how many do you have of them? so i know how many to save up for:)

Last edited:
glenn you have shown so many time those rockler clamps that you use for everything and i am finally convinced that i need some!!!! i have thought many times about them and just grabbed a clamp from the rack and went on my merry way but your uses make it so much cleaner and simpler that i will submit this time:) Glenn how many do you have of them? so i know how many to save up for:)

I have a couple larry, and like them a lot. I wish I had at least two more. Tee tracks are nice, but it's easier to swap from one item to the next than t-bolts and knobs.

One of the magazines showed someone cutting the fixed end off a old bar clamp and welding some 3/8" rod stock to it. That'd work good if you have a welder and extra bar clamps around.

Gllenn,

That is neat. How could something that simple and effective evaded me? I'l bet the ladies thought that when they saw their first hairpin.

I'm really impressed---so neat, so easy, so effective, so useful, etc., etc.

Thanks and Enjoy,

Dad (JimB to the rest of you)

I have four but could do nicely with three. The reason for three is that is how many I use to hold sacrificial fences to the tablesaw fence; one just ahead or and one just behind of the blade and one closer to the operator end. They go on sale frequently and once you start thinking about them as an integral part of what ever doo-thingy you are thinking up, they become very handy indeed.

Let's see. I use them for . . .

Sac fence on the table saw.
Stop blocks . . . everywhere.
Knife fence on the bandsaw.
Tall router table fence.
Box joint jig on the sleds.
Router templates.

Just about anything that you can drill a 3/8" hole in can get held by these.

Last edited: