Dog Question?UPDATED!! 9,30,11

larry merlau

ok ,, "charlie" showed me last night that he doesnt have road skills:rolleyes:
but he sure does cover ground faster than i can..
so for you dog owners out there how did you get your dog to come when called?
charlie has been with 2 other families prior and the last one didnt have him coming to them.. so now i need to get him to do that, without the frisbee in my hand:)
once i get him to that point then maybe he can be a free dog..

Last edited:
when I was training my shepard he instinctively knew to do what he was told. Everything was an immediate response.
The new dog is a bit more independent and can at times look me in the eyes and tell me to put my orders where the sun don't shine.:rolleyes: He is getting much better though.

I was told to not sound angry when calling him. If the dog thinks he is in trouble chances are he is not going to come to you.
I trained the new one on a long rope. I'd let him run around while holding the rope and pulled it and said come when I wanted him to come. I gave him a treat when he came right away. Seems to work pretty well. Mine is only free when I am outside with him. I walk him at night and in the morning on a leash though because I don't want to be running around in the dark through the woods in my bathrobe in case he chases a deer or cat.:rofl::rofl:
Like Charlie my dog has a favorite toy, he has a kong ball. He will do anything for the chance to have the ball thrown. If mine doesn't come I just show the ball and he comes right over.
I don't let mine roam free. Too many woods to get lost in and he is not street smart either.
Good luck!

Dog treats and lots of repetitive training should get him acting more like you want. I'd keep him on a leash with you and get him used to your voice and commands. A choker leash may be required to keep his attention. Don't expect overnight miracles, but he should come around.

Darren

At three years old, your work is definitely going to be cut out for you IMO.
My dogs learn the word 'No' at an early age, I then combined it with 'too far' when I let them loose in our front yard...used it when they got close to the sidewalk. Took some work but now I can let them out while I sit in the porch without much worry. You folks with land to roam must have a hard time I'm sure...good luck!

On a side note from my archives, we taught my dads dog to stay away from the road at his acreage up north{Alpena Mi} by tying/tacking white rags around the base of the trees nearest the road...scolded him and penned him
every time he crossed the boundary until he grasped the rules :thumb:

i have noticed that he seems to respond better without using the choke collar or the pinch collar which i took off him as soon as we got home. i can get him to pay attention by just touching him with the lead for some things.. and i will try to the ball or treat idea and along lead tonight.. i do want him to get so he can roam free.. i dont think dogs would get lost, just stolen perhaps unless your a ways from home than its a different story they can smell there way home from there starting point i would think..

Don't know how but mine just know that it is always better to come to me. Than to make me come get them.:thumb::rofl::rofl:
Oh and angry voice makes them run faster in my direction.:thumb::thumb:

Larry

When you find something that works, let me know. My new "shop dog" Rocco, gets out and it takes a long time to get him back.

Good luck to you

well we can add another problem to the mix,, he gets worried when going for a ride wants to whine and prance in the vehicle did settle down on the return trip but i dont want to have to go threw this when i am 60 plus..

well we can add another problem to the mix,, he gets worried when going for a ride wants to whine and prance in the vehicle did settle down on the return trip but i dont want to have to go threw this when i am 60 plus..

That will pass with the more rides he gets to go on.:thumb:

We had a dog that needed "dog Valium" whenever we went on vacation. She hated the car.

He should settle down. He's probably afraid that you are bringing him back :rofl:
The more car rides the more he will get used to it.

well he has settled down now that we have gotten back and he has had some frisbee time,, he is good for doctoring and pills though.. lays down like a gator on its back..:D:thumb:

I don't think Bucky will ever get comfortable going for Car rides. She just gets wacky in the car.

Taking her to the Vet is always an experience. Takes 3 vet techs to hold her down to do anything. Not because she's 'bad', but just because she's so darn happy and excited.

She's good around the homestead though, and I love her and her big thick head. :rofl:

I haven't read through this thread thoroughly, but probably should... might pick up a hint or two to make Maggie mind better.... she's a very independent soul and if she's not in the mood to come when called, she will turn her back and ignore you...

We had all 17 of our Boxers get out once :eek: and lucky for us we had always picked up the box of biscuits and shook it and asked them if they wanted a biscuit and they would come running for one. The wife was out side shaking the box like mad and yelling biscuit. The all came a run'n back into the yard and set down for their biscuit. :thumb::thumb:

I've had dogs on both ends of the spectrum. Some that would only come when they were darned good and ready, and others who would come instantly, whether they wanted to or not. I think a lot of it has to do with the individual dog. Sasha, our current female, really wants to please me and is like a machine on voice commands. She's got 'Come', 'Stay', and 'Leave It' programmed into her. I've stopped her in her tracks when she was charging after coyotes or raccoons. I can drop a steak on the floor in front of her and tell her to leave it, and she will. Our male (Sunny) is getting better, but he's still got some learning to do. We still won't let him out in the front yard off the leash. Sasha, on the other hand, can go anywhere off-leash and stay right with me. Since all the dogs I've had (as an adult) were pretty much grown when I got them. I can't take a lot of credit for the ones who've behaved properly, although I should also get a bit of blame for those who didn't.

Larry, I'll second the recommendations for working with Charlie on a long lead. It shouldn't take long for him to associate the 'Come' command with returning to you, especially if he gets a small snack when he does. Once you have him loose, reward him for coming (with at least some good petting and enthusiastic 'attaboys'), and if he does run off, don't scold him when he comes back. Let him know with body language and lack of enthusiasm that you're not pleased, but also thank him for returning. Or at least that's how I do it. :)

Larry you can start out with a shock collar which you probably set very low. Use treats to back up good behavior. Jarrod has done very well with Jack. You can talk with hm if you want. Labs are very responsive but you need to be aggressive and show him who is boss.

I have a friend who trained and competed with yellow lab trial dogs. He urged me to be very careful with a shock collar, that with inexperienced use, one could mess a dog up.

Long lead and treats has worked very well for me, including with the dog we got at 1 1/2 years old. I always have treats in my pocket and reward when she comes. It works great. YMMV of course.

well, vaughn i know you have dog sence, and others as well.. but here is the latest on charlies sence:eek: he has a kindergarden attitude on some things and a elementary one on others, and even will give him jr high on a couple.. its like he was graduated from differnt schools and forgot parts in each one:) when you play frisbee he is like the best kid ever.. will set and go into a down postion without asking most times.. then when in the truck this am he was better but still acts like he feels that he isnt gonna come back hm and when we got back home he was like a bull in a china shop.. he isnt a dog for small frail person.. i made him set and he final came out calmer.. but he has some good traits aswell just now he got into the waste basket, twice grabing a klennex got it away from each time he knows its wrong he will lay down and play lock jaw,, so i stick my fingers in there and trade him with a treat after i have said give a few times no treat till i win.. so this last time i took and waited for him to go for it again and he he got the waste basket over the head and thumped a couple times.. he didnt like that.. waited for him to settle downa nd called him to come (in the shop) he came and made him set and tham gave him a treat so he doesnt look at me as the mean guy:) so i and charlie are still in training:rolleyes::rolleyes::D i hope he learns soon:rofl:

Larry, if you're in the shop, throw him a hunk of that MI chocolate to chew on...oh wait, chocolate is bad for dogs! :D:rofl: Hope he gets the training down quick! :thumb:

Larry, it goes without saying that a big working dog like Charlie is going to need LOTS of exercise. He'll do much better with his training during and after a big walk/run.