Simularities

I find, in comparing my woodworking to my wannabe music making...

...Always searching for the ultimate results

...Constant learning process

...Beauty is definitely in the eyes of the beholder :D

...The noob status lingers for what seems like forever

...Reaching the end can be a pain & a joy simultaneously

This song I created, could easily cross over and sum up my thoughts on woodworking.
Then again it could also represent{via my vocals} my horrendous attempts :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y_C-0jfLT0&feature=channel_video_title

:eek: but I have no shame :rofl:

Ken,

First of all: Very good song with lots of feeling!

As to the similarities between your woodworking and your music, don't you think that all creative processes possess those same similarities? You list could be applied to many things we do.

Keep on truckin'!!! :thumb:

....don't you think that all creative processes possess those same similarities?....

Thanks for the compliment & Yes I do agree!...

OK hang on, here goes :eek::D

yet, once again it seems I've missed my mark...
I was trying to make a statement of how the creative ideas in my head, never seem to materialize as I expect{with my previous postings, I thought that was given :rofl:}

Woodworking and creating musically are near the top of my favorites list{COC prevents me from listing my other vises ;) } but it just seems at times, no matter how devoted or determined I may be, I'm never quite satisfied with the results. It's not that I'm trying to reach perfection. I think, it's more of a constant wonder as to how long is the plateau I have attained, go on.

I know {as some of you who have followed my ramblings, do as well} that my lack of self confidence plays a big part of it. But, how many are really truly happy where they are in the skill/talent area of their lives? I love a good challenge as much as the next, and feel great conquering it/them... but I question, is it the victories along with time that makes you feel your work is a true representation of your minds eye?

I guess in short...I'm happy, yet embarrassed &/or disappointed at the same time with my accomplishments...if that makes any sense....Thoughts?

and in a shortened guess...maybe I should just step away from inhaling the over-spray more often :rofl::eek:

in short...I'm happy, yet embarrassed &/or disappointed at the same time with my accomplishments...if that makes any sense....Thoughts?

Sounds downright human to me.... :wave:

My wife is feeling the same way about her art. She has covered leaps and bounds over the years, and is even teaching classes, but still feels like something is out of reach.

I told her about the "10,000 hours to become an expert" theory (that's about 3 hours a day for 10 years), and that somehow encouraged her for a few days, but then "life" set in again and she wondered how she would ever get all of those hours in.

Me? I'm probably halfway to becoming an expert on reading about woodworking, but I haven't even scratched the surface of the doing part. I tackle a few (small) projects a year, mostly turning on the lathe, do what I hope is my best, and move on. Will I ever become an expert? I very much doubt it, but I'm willing to keep trying ... at my abysmally slow pace. :doh:

Ken, you do whatever makes you happy. You can write nice songs but have a lousy voice (not saying you do). If it makes you feel good inside that's all that matters.
Same with woodworking. My work does not come near the caliber of others but I love doing it. My family appreciates what I make for them. If thats as good as it gets than I'm pretty darn happy with myself.

I like your work and your music. Be happy with what you create. You are doing good buddy :thumb::thumb:

Ken,

you are I are kindred spirits here.

I know I'll never create true works of woodworking art, but it makes me happy to fool around with things.

Same thing with music. I've got a little studio and a bunch of stringed instruments. I'm no good at leads or singing, but I don't let my lack of talent stop me from doing it.

To quote chief Wiggums from the simpsons, 'I say if it feels good, do it' :rofl:

I will put it a bit differently. You are a whale of a lot better than a lot of professionals.

I hear a piece of music on Pandora and I wonder to myself: Can this guy/gal really hear himself? How could anyone like that think he/she is good? Why was this record made? Is something like having the right relative, the mafia, sex, blackmail, etc. involved?

If your piece had come up on Pandora I would not have had a single thought like those mentioned. I would just go on with my woodturning or whatever and think, "That's nice."

Enjoy, I did,

JimB

Sorry but your avitar does not go with a person who would write or sing that music.

Ken, the same dog has bitten me numerous times. I think no matter what level of expertise we reach in any particular endeavor, we are always more focused on the people who can do it better. We often forget about the people who look at us in the same way. I've seen in it music and woodworking both. Be proud of the fact that if you were in a group of 50 people at a party, chances are, you're the best guitar player in the room. But at the same time, always remember there's some 14 year old kid in Iowa who can leave you in the dust. Same thing with woodworking. (Except the guy who's better than you is probably older than 14.) :)

I've long held the theory that any artist needs a balanced mix of ego and humility. Face it, if we didn't have enough ego to think we were pretty good at something (or capable of getting good), we'd give up on new things almost before we try them. On the other hand, if you don't have a healthy dose of humility and realize that no matter how good you are, there's someone who can do it better, then you'll never be motivated to improve your own skills.

The trick is to not beat yourself up too much when you see room for improvement, but also to never think you're so good you can't improve. ;)

... I guess in short...I'm happy, yet embarrassed &/or disappointed at the same time with my accomplishments...if that makes any sense....Thoughts? ...

When I first started making things of wood, much of it looked like hammered pooh, but was serviceable. As my skill level grew, I became much more pleased with what I made, which gave me the courage to try more ambitious projects. I've done well enough on certain projects that I entered them in juried exhibits and won First Place. People look at some of the things I make and talk about how "perfect" they are. But, no matter how "perfect" a piece might be, I know where the warts are! :rolleyes:

Ken you have the heart of an artist that's for sure...

I think Dave has probably hit the mark right there...I'm just missing the talent/skill part of the equation. It's the visions I have at the pre-start of most projects, that never reach their full potential in my eyes. It's not{I believe} reaching that expert or artist level per-se, more like what Kerry mentioned about his wife..."feels like something is out of reach" or 'missing' {may be a better word in my case} that fills my mind with these self-depreciating thoughts....Grrrr...wish I could explain it better :doh:

Thanks everyone for the food for thought, much appreciated! :thumb: