What is proper electrical switch and outlet height?

Tom Baugues

So now that my new shop building is in place, I need to get it wired up. I went out and purchased switches, outlets and boxes. When researching online tonight about the proper height to mount everything I was surprised to find out that there really is no "standard" height. I want my wall outlets to be about mid way up the wall but have found heights mentioned anywhere between 32 and 56 inches. I thought there would be more of a standard. :dunno:

Light switches are 48" to the top of the box. Plugs are normally minimum 12" to to bottom of the box (15" for ADA), but 40" (counter height if upper cabinets installed) and 48" are also common. For a shop I'd probably do the 48" height all around.

Don't think you have any sinks, but within 6' of water need to be GFIC. Any circuits on the outside need to be tied to GFIC also.

Tom,

If you have a building code to meet, call the inspection office.

When I built my shop, because it's a stand alone shop there were no requirments so I placed my outlets 52" above the floor. I can stand a sheet of plywood against the wall without blocking access to my outlets.

Ken beat me to it, but for a shop, I've seen it recommended that you put at least some of the outlets high enough that you can lean a sheet of plywood horizontally under the outlet.

But if your're building to a specific code, he's also right about checking with any local code enforcement folks to see if they have any hard and fast rules.

Tom,

The proper place is wherever you think they should be. I just finished up a new workshop that we are getting ready to move into, and mine are 42" to the bottom of the box. My shop cabinets and workbenches are between 34 and 36" high, and I wanted the outlets just higher than them, so it is easy to plug things into without bending down to the floor or finding them behind a cabinet. My inspector never even mentioned it…

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 61
When I built my shop, because it's a stand alone shop there were no requirments so I placed my outlets 52" above the floor. I can stand a sheet of plywood against the wall without blocking access to my outlets.

I like that, may have to consider at least putting mine in 48" to the bottom at least since I'm in the process.

I have been very thankful that I have several outlets in the ceiling.

Are yours hanging? Planning to add some to mine, just wondering what height you went with if so. I have 12' ceilings, so just wondering how far off the ground, not from the ceiling.

Darren....Like Jim I also installed 6 outlets right down the middle of the ceiling.

I also have 4 rows of T-8 flourescent light fixtures on the ceiling. Each row has it's own switch and a power cord plugged into an outlet. The first fixture plugs into the outlet and then the following 3 fixtures are butted against it and each other with the wiring running inside of the fixtures. I can shut off a row and unplug it without turning off the other lights in the shop should maintenance or repair work need to be performed.

I like that, may have to consider at least putting mine in 48" to the bottom at least since I'm in the process.

Are yours hanging? Planning to add some to mine, just wondering what height you went with if so. I have 12' ceilings, so just wondering how far off the ground, not from the ceiling.

Darren, mine are hanging. They are high enough I can walk under them with no problem. However, they were where they would bang Glenn's head. I raised them to where they would part Glenn's hair occasionally. Since I rearranged the shop, none of the hanging outlets are over a walkway so Glenn is totally safe now.

Oh, I think Glenn is 6' 1" now.

My "ceiling" is 9 ft 6 in.

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited:
Do take Ken's suggestion. Have luminairs on a separate circuit from outlets used for power tools. You really do not want the lights to go out if you overload a circuit with a big motor. Some of the lights I use are on different circuits so I cannot get a total blackout as long as there is power to the building.

Enjoy,

JimB

Do take Ken's suggestion. Have luminairs on a separate circuit from outlets used for power tools. You really do not want the lights to go out if you overload a circuit with a big motor. Some of the lights I use are on different circuits so I cannot get a total blackout as long as there is power to the building.

Enjoy,

JimB

Thanks guys for all your input on this. Picked up my wire tonight and hope to start the process sometime next week if all goes well. I plan on putting things like lights, battery chargers, stereo and ventilation on one circuit and power machines on another. I figure I will only be running one power machine (lathe, band saw, drill press), at a time so that should work.

Hey guys....can I do this? I'm trying to decide where to mount all my outlets. Can I put an outlet next to a window like this. I will have a workbench at the base of this window and want as many outlets above it as possible plus I may put a small air conditioner in that window during the hot summer months. Does anyone know if this is to code?

Attachments

• 100_0504 (Small).JPG
    100_0504 (Small).JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 47
I can not help with proper code but I sure would think at least it should be a GFI circuit. I know my house has outlets below the windows which is basically the same thing as beside the window.

Ok...I placed them 48" from the floor to the bottom of the box. I'm ready to start running wire to my outlets. I decided that I wanted more outlets so I now have a single outlet box every two feet around the shop. I'm planning on three circuits for this shop. One for lights and the other two for machines. With my boxes placed every two feet what would be the best way to divide up the circuits? Should I wire all one wall to one circuit then the next wall to a different circuit or should I divide them up a different way. I only see myself using one machine at a time so maybe this really isn't an issue but I would like opinions.
Another question...I'm running 20 amp circuits to the shop. Can I still install 15 amp outlets for my lights to plug into? I didn't buy enough 20 amp outlets since I added the extra boxes but I do have several new 15 amp outlets here. So Can I install 15 amp outlets for my florescent lights?

Hey Tom, take this as you like, as I'm no electrician...When I ran my shop, I placed outlets about every 3-4 feet, then ran every other one on one line and the others on another. Both {actually 4 lines total, 2 to one half of shop & 2 to the other} on 20 amp breakers with a GFI to lead each run so the others were protected via it. Not sure of your area or code in general, but I used 12gauge wiring for the outlets and 14 gauge for lighting. You will be fine adding 15amp-outlets to a 20 amp circuit for lighting as long as that line is not being used for machines as well.

Also keep in mind that, though you may be using only one machine at a time, you might also be using a DC or Shop-Vac at the same time, so having separate lines pays off....it all boils down to the load on the line & breaker...maybe some real electrician or one in training will jump in ;)...

Another question....I have a metal roof on my shop. On the inside, the metal roof is about 3/4" above the rafters. Does anyone know if it is ok to run wire between the rafter and metal roof? I have a ridge vent that runs down the center of the roof as well. I cannot find any reference to this online. I have read to not drill through rafters though.

Attachments

• 100_0508 (Small).JPG
    100_0508 (Small).JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0510 (Small).JPG
    100_0510 (Small).JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 32