Friday 9/30 Edition

Well, we made it to another Friday. So what is going on in your neighborhood?

Me, got lots of odds and ends to do. Need to run to the lumber guy and pick up some maple. Might catch some football,.

Yes we did Steve. I'm leaving in a few hours to start off hunting season in Va on the farm. Just going down to set up a few scrapes and drippers. May hunt tomorrow or may not . Just received a call from the Spanish down town a few seconds ago and they need some work done. I've worked with them for the last 10 years. So I am not sure If I will stay down till Saturday evening or come back.

Pretty much a free weekend. Not quite sure what I'll do. I finished the rolling under bed drawer for the bed I made for my grandson so I'm ready to start another project.
Cash restrictions are not going to let me start building Norm's router table right now. I may start on the jewelry box my daughter wants or I may move my lumber rack. I may even start on the Shaker cabinet that Dave Richards did in sketchup. I've squirreled away more than enough cherry or maple to build it.

got full WKND,, get the stuff around for our opener on sat and babysit my new son!!! that is a all day job. and gonna try to get some shop time in there as well..in between the other stuff..

Friday: LOML has the day off, so we'll have a day full! Slept in this morning to prepare for a run to Tallahassee to do a little shopping, then an early dinner at Outback.

Saturday: LOML and a neighbor are doing to hit some yard sales early, so I'll head to the shop to work on the Credenza. I have the mahogany cut to size for the top panel and will bandsaw the radius pieces - maybe even get them glued up.

Sunday: Pretty much the usual routine. I'll make brunch for us, then prepare for the NASCAR Cup race at Dover. Haven't decide what to prepare for dinner yet, but most likely will be steaks on the barbee. Being outside should be nice since the forecast high on Sunday is 75 - sounds great after a Summer of record heat!

Heading east to IA city tomorrow morning for a suprise 40th for my BIL...Sunday will probably be slow and easy...maybe some shop time later in the day.

My BIL has a couple trees that needs to come down, including a black walnut. He is going to give me the wood. Unfortunately it isn't big enough to get any lumber, but I should get plenty of turning projects out of it. Waiting on FedEx right now to deliver the lathe and stand. Won't be able to turn this weekend, as part of the shipment won't come until next week.

Funeral this morning, friend from church. Then into town to pick up a loveseat we ordered about 6 weeks ago. Shop time tomorrow (hopefully), church on Sunday followed by more shop time!

One way to make the dog a good pet is fire up the grill and cut pieces off the meat and talk with him and share as you cook.
We had a cat (now in kitty heaven) that would lay by the grill when I fired it up. She wasn't particularly interested in steak or chicken, but seemed to sense when I was cooking kielbasa and wanted her share of it! I'd cut off a few pieces, quarter them, let them cool and she would dive in!!!

Last edited:
My wife has a fund raiser dinner to attend tonight and is taking a friend, so probably going to do some clean-up in the shop. Our anniversary was this week, so tomorrow I'll probably be doing some honey-do's and going to dinner and a movie. Sunday will be cleaning up around the yard, not yet cold enough to close up the pool and fountain, so will probably be trimming shrubs.

Took Yesterday and today off to try and get the roof on my shed before the rains start.

Yesterday was mostly fooling around with fly rafters, reworking the truss on the backend to support the brackets and fly rafters. Today i've been putting on the roofing felt. Talk about a workout. Lot's of up and down on the ladder, since I'm going it solo on all this work. Tons of fun.

So far get one side felted in. Had to go get some flashing and more felt and a couple more pieces of siding though, so that blew a couple of hours.

Should be able to at least get the rest of the felt on today and would like to get started on the panels...

Pretty hot day though and the sun is really sapping the energy out of me.

Tommorrow the torn up quadruped couch goes to the dump, and then more work on the shed.

Sunday will be winterizing up a few things. Tempertures and weather is scheduled for a swing downward next week from the upper nineties to the mid sixties.

In the process of stripping the roof off the patio so I can repair the soffit on the shed. Paint the repair soffit while it's handy. Then reinstall the metal roof. I hope to get that done by tomorrow night.

This evening I have a date with a lovely lady. We are going to dinner and then walking the downtown art show.

When so many are in want for work I will not complain but, my day job will breach my weekend this time around. I will try to squeeze in what I can on the current project tonight.

I took last saturday off so I get to work this week. It will be a short day of about 8-9 hrs. This week has seen mostly 12's. The pay check looks good, but I'm getting tired and the season has just started. Need to mow the lawn sometime. Tomorrow night I will take the "daughter" out for chinese. (We have another exchange student this year form South Korea.) Sunday I need to finish cleaning out the service truck so the next guy can use it.

I'm going to hopefully sleep late in the am. Fat chance!!! :rolleyes: Want to spend some time in the shop, but we will see. Learned that we have a wedding to go to at 1:00. Sure cuts the day in half, but it is the only daughter of some good friends we met back in the late 70's when I was at Baylor. We'll see if she can top one of her brother's wedding. Got to see that on video a few months ago when we visited them. And they say Baptists don't dance. HA!!!!!:thumb:
Want to stop and see if I can touch a couple laptops I'm considering. Kind of get the feel for them. I've narrowed it down to 2 units, an HP 4530 and a Lenovo ThinkPad E520. The Lenovo has Win 7 Pro 64 bit, and the HP has the 32 bit version. If anyone has any info on either of these, feel free to PM me.
We'll see what Sunday brings. ;) Jim.

I've got a variety of yard stuff that needs to get done, including some green tumbleweeds on our backyard hillside that I need to get rid of before they go to seed. Doing any kind of work on the hill beats me up pretty quickly, so I've been putting this chore off for most of the summer.

Need to do some serious shop organizing and cleaning...still need to work out a permanent location for the new drum sander. In the meantime I'll continue to work away at my green wood stash and get another piece or two roughed out and drying. I'll also continue the months-long wrestling match I've been having with a batch of 5 or 6 box elder pieces I've turned. I've been trying to get an acceptable finish on these pieces since May or June. :rolleyes:

Pretty quiet here. Had a big drive on this week to get a bunch of fall jobs done. Crossed a lot of things off the "must do" list. Still 10 cords of firewood outside though:(
Might drop in this weekend and visit a woodworking friend I haven't seen for awhile:D
Peter