Squirrel Feeder Update

Dan Mooney

I had to make a change to the feeder, the ABS plastic pipe I used was too flexible, the wind came thru and really set it to rocking, so I replaced it with a metal pipe. Much more stable.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This Guy tried to tell me he was a Squirrel, but I checked his ID and ran him off, He was a real glutton:rolleyes:

Attachments

• PIC0002.jpg
    PIC0002.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 96
  • PIC0006.jpg
    PIC0006.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 96
  • PIC0005.jpg
    PIC0005.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 97
  • PIC007.jpg
    PIC007.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 97
My sister lives in northern California. She feeds peanuts to blue jays every morning. They get pretty vocal if she's late putting them out.

Norm,

Tell your sister how to have a hilarious time.

First you find two objects---something like two trees. Pergola or patio posts are great, especially if they are outside of the kitchen window for viewing.

At approximately the level of of the top of her head, or higher if desired, tie a cord or string from one tree to the other. The cord is now in the position of the crossbar on the goal posts at the football field (only it is between the two trees).

At approximately the middle of the cord, that is going from tree to tree, tie a string about three feet long. Gravity will take the end down at right angles to the crosspiece cord.

On the bottom end of the dangling string tie one or two small loops. The purpose of the loops is to hold a p-nut. We now have a p-nut dangling down at the bottom end of a cord. The p-nut "holder" has to be loose enough that a bird can, relatively easily, get the p-nut to eat.

Once one bird gets the idea/concept the other birds will see and they will also go for the p-nut. A bird will swoop down and take a pass at the p-nut trying to get it. There may be 8 or 10 passes before a bird finally gets it. You will see birds take a shot, miss, turn a loop-de-loop to try again. you will see birds in the air---upside down and every which way. It is a fantastic way to entertain guests.

Have a ball. I think the Blue Jays are having one. They sure create Blue Jay turmoil and are persistent. Any questions PM Jim C Bradley.

Enjoy,

JimB

Gee it is too bad no one picked up on this. We had campers near us about 60 years ago at Yosemite that did this.

It was a riot. I had not thought of this for at least 50 years. If we had blue jays I would do it again. I wonder if the rakus black crows could be induced to try it?

Do try it. You will not be sorry.

Enjoy Again,
JimB