Tea Box

Jeb Taylor

I built this as an anniversary gift for my wife. Some walnut I had laying around and a small piece of butternut that Larry so graciously gave me for the inside. The top was a little curly walnut piece that was on the end of a board I milled down. I put it aside a year ago for something special.

FWW_0001.jpgFWW_0002.jpgFWW_0004.jpgFWW_0003.jpg

The sides were milled with power tools, the rest of the construction was all hand tools. It's got it's imperfections, but I thougth my wife would appreciate it more like that. It was a number of firsts for me. First time to make wood putty from sawdust and glue, to fill in the gaps on my dovetails. First time to install brass screws, first time to cut 3 broken brass screws out...

I will definitely have to order some #2 steel screws with the brusso hinges next time to start the holes, or a gimlet looks like it might be useful. I did predrill and use wax, but it didn't work out quite like I wanted it the first time around.

Jeb,

That is a nice box. I can sure see why you kept that piece of walnut for over a year, it's scrumdilious. It is neat the way that you did it. You have something that is beautiful to set on the table for meals, snacks or games. Good thinking.

You should see our tea section of the cupboard...On second thought, you probably don't want to see it. Even though coffee is our secondary drink, water is our primary, we have at least 10 kinds of tea in the cupboard. All of them are in the original boxes---lots of different size and shaped boxes.

Murphy presides and which ever tea I want is in the back and on the bottom.

If you ever get Lapsansuchong Tea you will probably have to bolt the top of your box down. The tea has the smell of horse liniment and the kick of an angry mule.

Enjoy,

JimB

Yeah! it is scrumdilious. That was the word I was looking for.:D Thanks Jim.

Nice work Jeb. Such a thoughtful gift. I am sure she will love it.

Now I gotta go look up scrumdilious in the dictionary.

Beautiful job. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Could really use one of those around here. Don't drink tea often, but I do get on a green tea kick every now and then, and of course, iced tea in the summer...

It planes real nice and the boards are easy to carry around :) I was a little paranoid about denting it, but didn't have any problems with this little piece.

well done jeb,, and that regular piece of butternut feels real specail setting next to that excellent piece of walnut and they are related too:) :thumb::thumb:
butternut is definitely soft rich and yet has a very similar grain pattern to walnut, lightest weight hardwood i know of..

Yeah its funny stuff. Works nicely but when you first see it with its oak like grain pattern you expect it to be hard as a rock and heavy. I built a floor to ceiling manel for a client of the last shop I worked at and was afraid of it breaking because it was so willowy I had to put all kinds of bracing on it so they could transport it.
It finished up beautifully though when I saw the pics of it installed.

Yeah its funny stuff. Works nicely but when you first see it with its oak like grain pattern you expect it to be hard as a rock and heavy. I built a floor to ceiling manel for a client of the last shop I worked at and was afraid of it breaking because it was so willowy I had to put all kinds of bracing on it so they could transport it.
It finished up beautifully though when I saw the pics of it installed.

and its pricey too huh rich? used to be readily avaible around my parts but now i dont know of any growing in the wild..