tsunami escape pod

Four adults, eh? :huh:

It's interesting to guess about the assumptions that must have gone into the design. It may be reasonable to expect diminutive "passengers" who don't mind sitting on the floor (no bench?) and who are OK with near-zero "personal space". But...
  • Why only one window, and why so high up?
  • When floating, will the capsule "ship water" if the door is opened? (If so, move the door higher up.)
  • Why not have two opposing doors, to enable the "passengers" some control over their destiny? (They could paddle towards shore, or to the edge of a flooded area.)
I'm sure that I wouldn't care about any of those questions if I saw a big wave coming and I had one of these handy. But still....

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I did think it was cute to see the CEO start to remove his shoes ... presumably to demonstrate how to get in and out of the "pod". (I don't think he would care about that sort of thing in an emergency either. ;))

we need to remember these tsunami waves tend to be a raising in the level of water and not big swells as we typically think of waves.
Now if you float back out into the open seas all bets are off.

Garry

You should see the escape "pods" that they use on offshore oil rigs. They're more in the shape of a boat but they're up at work level of the rig. To escape, the workers get in and strap themselves to a seat. Then the escape unit is cut loose and it falls nose first into the sea. Probably at least a 50 foot fall, maybe more.

I imagine the unit completely submerges when it hits the water and then comes back up.

But I guess if you're on a burning oil rig you'll welcome almost any way of getting off.

Mike

So I guess this thing must be water tight and with that must be air tight too? So forgive me for asking the obvious, but how do 4 adults get enough air to survive while they are being rolled and bumped around in the churning water? :dunno: