Retirement

Bob Gibson

I got tired of the endless job search. No one wants to hire a 62 year old overweight construction tool and fastener salesman so I filed for early retirement.:)

So now all I need is a part time job to keep me going.

It will be nice to have some income for a change. The state I live in and the state my old employer is in have been fighting over who is supposed to give me unemployment benefits. So I haven't been getting any for the past year or so. Nice of them huh. Just gotta love bureaucracy :bang:

No excuses now not to spend more time in the shop :thumb: and according to my wife, doing laundry, cooking dinner, cleaning house, grocery shopping......the list keeps on getting bigger and bigger. :rofl:

Stop by for a coffee. I'll be here :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I was "ushered" into retirement the same way. Now 60+, I'm within striking distance of filing for SS. We'll get by till then and I may even sell some more of my work. I intended to stay with the last company till 65.:(

Concerning your list of things to do, I now wonder how I ever had time for work! :rofl::rofl:

My dad says he has no time to work now with all mom has him do.:rofl::rofl:
Bob, try to deal with workman's comp, same nonsense. Hope you enjoy and make the most out of your retirement. Ever in Indiana or Michigan I would enjoy meeting and talking with you.

:congrats: on your retirement, Bob. I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out soon. At least you have some assigned tasks to keep you busy! ;)

Thanks to 9/11, I 'retired' earlier than I had planned but it worked out OK. I was 57, drew unemployment for a while, found that companies that were looking for my talents would rather hire a fresh college kid with no experience and pay the same as I would get. Oh, well!!!

About the time my unemployment was running out, I saw a listing for a bench carpenter in a high-end cabinet shop. I thought what the heck and dropped by. I was hired on the spot because of my portfolio. My pay rate about a quarter of what I had been making but I got to make sawdust, learn more about cabinet-making, and get paid for it! Something to think about. :huh:

welcome to the better life bob.. hope you can get your back pay and then can relax even more and you need to get west sometime and you wont have to pay a dime for room and board at my place, and you WONT go away hungry or thirsty ,, right tom?

Last edited:
Well Bob I didn't want to retire as I did with the company failing to provide the benefits I was promised for the 33 years I spent there. However it is by far the best thing that ever happened to me. If one has enough to live I can't imagine a better life than getting up and doing what I want to do that day. Its been a little over two years now and there hasn't been a single hour of regret as of yet. And this is from someone that loved the job and what I did but had some disagreements with management once in a while. The pressure of looking for a job or trying to keep one in today's downsizing mindset is something I don't miss. I hope you enjoy retirement as much as I have.
Garry

Bob, Im not quite sure if Im happy for you or not.

The poor economy today is dictating the outcome for so many men in our age group.

I wasnt any luckier, forced to go for health reasons.

Im sure you will, as I do, get the same support from your family on your decision.

Now that you might be a bit free, next time your here, Ill hook you up with that corned beef sandwich at the deli.

Congratulations on your retirement Bob! Take a short period of time to adjust and then find those things that give you satisfaction and pursue them.

Within your budget, you can now do those things you want to do.

Well turned 59 today no job & because of our former job together LOML has been on the slow mend, she is doing pretty good. We did get food stamps had a fair savings account partially gone now. Having been in the apartment rental business I am tying to start a business vacancy cleaning rental properties & it's slow going.

Like Allen i have mixed feelings over this type of event. Its like a bushfire this aspect of pushing old cowboys into retirement before they ready to hang up the guns.

But if its got to be Bob i wish you everything of the best. Hope all the powers that be sort out the backpay and paperwork properly.

BUt there is nothing to stop you making a few wares and earning a few Bob from them. ;)

My bet is you could also get a part time lecture job at a trade school somewhere around you.

What you know of fastners i would have thought would be pretty useful passing on at the technical colleges. I am pretty sure they aint got the first hand knowledge you have.

Retirement Quote

This say's it all! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Retirement Quote.jpg
    Retirement Quote.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Thanks for the well wishes :thumb::thumb:

As I made my decision I was really upset. Years of being the best at what I do and can't find a job doing it. I've made 10's of millions of dollars for the companies I've worked for and now I'm yesterdays news.

The moment I met with the SS guy and signed the paperwork it felt like a huge elephant was lifted off my chest. Now instead of being mad at everything and everyone who dealt me this situation I feel like I have a future again.

Doing lecturing is a pretty good idea. I have spent a career in construction fastening methods. Mainly for steel and concrete. I have given presentations all across the US and Asia. I was also toying with the idea of doing some consulting as well. But when it comes down to it I think that I would be happier working part time at one of the borgs or my local hardware store.

I've never sold any of my work. I've turned down many offers. A lot of requests came from other teachers at my wifes school after she has shown them pictures of what I've made for her and the kids. I had an opportunity to make ton's of pens. My daughter who is a nurse, showed the pen I made for her to her colleagues and said she had orders for many of them. My son had lots of his Air Force buddies wanting the cartridge pen that I made for him. I turned that down as well. A few weeks ago I had a yard sale and got talking to a neighbor. He heard my daughters talking about the furniture I've made for them and he asked to see my shop. Come to find out he has a big sailboat and needs several new tables built for it and knows others who need similar things made for their boat. I turned that down too.
I've changed my mind. why not turn something I love doing into a little extra cash? I might have to work a bit faster though and learn to love sanding and finishing :rofl::rofl:

Now with my luck I'll probably get an offer for a plum job tomorrow :eek:
If I do I'd turn it down (maybe) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks again guys :thumb: