Retirement

I got tired of the endless job search.

No excuses now not to spend more time in the shop :thumb: and according to my wife, doing laundry, cooking dinner, cleaning house, grocery shopping......the list keeps on getting bigger and bigger. :rofl:

Stop by for a coffee. I'll be here :thumb::thumb::thumb:

"Stop by for a coffee." Are you kidding? My scrawny So. Calif. body would turn into a popcicle in about 15 seconds.

Enjoy,

Jim

Thanks for the well wishes :thumb::thumb:

As I made my decision I was really upset. Years of being the best at what I do and can't find a job doing it. I've made 10's of millions of dollars for the companies I've worked for and now I'm yesterdays news.

The moment I met with the SS guy and signed the paperwork it felt like a huge elephant was lifted off my chest. Now instead of being mad at everything and everyone who dealt me this situation I feel like I have a future again.

Hey Bob, let me add my congratulations and condolences too... it's hard to be forced out if you still want to work, but it's also great to be able to work when and if you want to... I took early retirement at 64 instead of waiting for 65... I was just plain tired and when I woke up and realized it was my 40th anniversary in the industry (I did international shipping... dealing with government, customs, licensing, shipping companies, airlines, customers, etc.... both in the U.S. and all the other government agencies around the world).. I just decided it was my time... plus I had a small pension from my years with an airlines that covered the short fall in my SS payments.

Doing lecturing is a pretty good idea. I have spent a career in construction fastening methods. Mainly for steel and concrete. I have given presentations all across the US and Asia. I was also toying with the idea of doing some consulting as well. But when it comes down to it I think that I would be happier working part time at one of the borgs or my local hardware store.
Don't sell the idea of consulting short... I have an acquaintance that worked as an ex-pat for an oil company in West Africa - Nigeria I think, when he reached a point where he couldn't stand living in west Africa anymore, he resigned a $150,000 per year job and came home... the company approached him to do consulting... he wound up back in west Africa, but at twice the salary... who knows...

I've never sold any of my work. I've turned down many offers. A lot of requests came from other teachers at my wifes school after she has shown them pictures of what I've made for her and the kids. I had an opportunity to make ton's of pens. My daughter who is a nurse, showed the pen I made for her to her colleagues and said she had orders for many of them. My son had lots of his Air Force buddies wanting the cartridge pen that I made for him. I turned that down as well. A few weeks ago I had a yard sale and got talking to a neighbor. He heard my daughters talking about the furniture I've made for them and he asked to see my shop. Come to find out he has a big sailboat and needs several new tables built for it and knows others who need similar things made for their boat. I turned that down too.
I've changed my mind. why not turn something I love doing into a little extra cash? I might have to work a bit faster though and learn to love sanding and finishing :rofl::rofl:

Now with my luck I'll probably get an offer for a plum job tomorrow :eek:
If I do I'd turn it down (maybe) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks again guys :thumb:
I've always tried to sell my work... the sales add to the SS and mostly pays for the hobby...

Last edited:
Bob,

I wish you all of the best whether you do "nothing again" tomorrow, take on some interesting projects, or end up going back to work...Now that you are "really" retired, Murphy will probably come and knock on your door and offer you work.

If you take on projects, who says you will have to work faster? Your overhead isn't going to change, you are not paying employees, etc. Why not do some projects, do them at your own pace, do them the way you want to and Enjoy!

Enjoy,

JimB

Congratz Bob although the way it went down is a real bummer (cant say what I want to say due to CoC but being in construction you can probably fill in the blanks:D)
If you are looking for part time you might consider doing what I am. Driving school bus. It's turned out to be a great gig! And the pay is excellent for a part time job! I'm making a lot more than I expected (not close to what I made in construction but real close to what I was making at the cabinet shop)
And you get summers, and school vacations off!:D:D:D

I was thinking about that Rich.

I decided to get into the retirement frame of mind today so I went to the grocery store and drank their free cup of coffee and bought day old donuts
My local Dunkin Donuts is probably going to have to file Chapter 11 :rofl::rofl:

:thumb::thumb:
I was thinking about that Rich.

I decided to get into the retirement frame of mind today so I went to the grocery store and drank their free cup of coffee and bought day old donuts
My local Dunkin Donuts is probably going to have to file Chapter 11 :rofl::rofl:

Glad to see the proper frame of mind coming through this time for you. Attitude is everything!:thumb::thumb: