spindle sander

allen levine

I think if I want to keep building furniture, this might be a good investment for me.
I have sanding drums I run on my drill press and notice Im using them constantly, and thinking Id like to have a dedicated sander with different size spindles to make my life a bit easier.
I looked around, they dont seem like a huge expense.
Anyone using one they would strongly recommend?
Points I need to address-I need something that is easy to switch out spindles as my hands dont work as well as Id lilke
I want it tabletop, and light enough to be able to store away when not in use, something I can lift for 20 seconds to put away.(lets say under 75 lbs?)
Easy to use, I dont want or need another complicated device, Im not a machine person.
and last, although money is not a major issue, I dont want to waste money on options or a machine that is not any better than a less expensive brand.

and it has to operate on standard 110 power.

I also have the Ridgid and it is only 40 pounds. I used to tuck mine in a cabinet when not in use but, it started getting used so much, I put it on a stand.

+1 for the Ridgid spindle sander. I like mine more than I thought I would. :thumb: It also meets all your requirements: Benchtop size, not too heavy to move around, and easy to change the spindles. Plus, it's also got an oscillating belt sander, which I think I've used more than the spindles.

I have the Jet JBOS-5, and it is a heck of a sander. It's kind of heavy--around 80 lbs, I'm guessing. I love it. However, if I were to do it again, I would most likely go with the Rigid. It's highly recommended by almost everyone who has used it. I believe it's a little lighter and less expensive.

Like I said, the Jet is a whale of a sander, but it's overkill for my needs. At least it has been so far. It is very quiet and smooth, and it has a wide range of spindle sizes. Like I said I really like it--but it's also about $500 at Amazon now. If buying now, I wouldn't get it.

Glenn thats the Canadian price.:rofl::rofl::rofl: Our HD is $250. I been having a go with the manager about it for 3 years. :rofl::rofl: Someday he is going to capitulate and let me have it for $200 just to get rid of me.;)

I dont want to be tar and feathered, so Im waiting for a discount card from my wifes place of work(they dont use them) or HD to run a special, like 15% off, I just have to be patient. Im sure by the end of the year, they will run a sale or send out cards.

I have the ridigd sander as well, works well, easy to change out spindles or belts. It also comes with a lifetime warranty if you register it. The only two minor issues I know of with it are:

1) The smallest sanding sleeve goes right over the steel drive axle and will slip if you push to hard. I think it's just a reality of the sleeve size, not a defect. It's only about 1/2" diameter. Never noticed any of the sleeves with rubber inserts slip.

2) I've heard of people breaking bearings in it when they sand profiles on the small roll end of the sanding belt. I don't believe it's designed to take a load on that roller end. It takes less than a minute to swap the belt attachment to spindle anyways. I don't see it as a issue with the tool, just proper use of the tool is required for it to last.

I have read stories of people having successfully used the HF's 20% off coupon at HD. It depends on the the store manager though and it helps if HF is located very close to HD. Doesn't hurt to try.