home defense

Rich Soby

HOW TO CALL THE POLICE
Roger Gresse, an elderly man, from Zanesville, OH, was going up to bed, when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed. Roger opened the back door to go turn off the light, but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked, "Is someone in your house?"

He said "No," but some people are breaking into my garden shed and stealing from me."

Then the police dispatcher said. "All patrols are busy. You should lock your doors and an officer will be along when one is available."

Roger said, "Okay."

He hung up the phone and counted to 30.

Then he phoned the police again.

"Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now because I just shot them," and he hung up.

Within five minutes, six police cars, a SWAT team, a helicopter, two fire trucks, a paramedic, and an ambulance showed up at the Gresse residence, and caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the policemen said to Roger, "I thought you said that you'd shot them!"

Roger said, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"

Yes I know its fiction but it's quite humorous

Last edited:
well rich, hopefully it wont be this way in our life time!!! but i can see something like this coming..other countries already have much more stringent rules than the U.S does..

well rich, hopefully it wont be this way in our life time!!! but i can see something like this coming..other countries already have much more stringent rules than the U.S does..

I agree with you completely Larry. Those very same people have been trying to take that right from us since the second amendment was written.
And if they ever succeed, we are lost as a society and can kiss our freedoms goodbye

I knew it was a fantasy when the 911 operator answered. I have never successfully completed a 911 call. I have only called them a very few times. Each time I finally hung up after listening to a recording for 5 minutes or so.

Good story and emphasizes why home defense really begins at home.
I have called 911 on a number of occasions. Usually get them promptly. But, it disturbs me when the operator asks many questions regarding the incident. e.g. in a accident how badly are the people hurt? are they blocking the road? etc. This is important but actually the police and ambulance are already rolling and the operator is asking only for their own curiosity. Completely unnecessary and a waste of everybody's time.

Good story and emphasizes why home defense really begins at home.
I have called 911 on a number of occasions. Usually get them promptly. But, it disturbs me when the operator asks many questions regarding the incident. e.g. in a accident how badly are the people hurt? are they blocking the road? etc. This is important but actually the police and ambulance are already rolling and the operator is asking only for their own curiosity. Completely unnecessary and a waste of everybody's time.

I don't believe that's true.

I've had friends who work for 911 and my understanding is that they do this for a few reasons. One, they're getting details about the scene and relaying those details to the services en route which will better frame their expectations and prepare them for what's needed in advance. Second, in cases where injury may occur, they can't possibly know that everything is okay with the caller so they're trained to keep them on the line until rescue arrives if possible so that they can keep those en route informed. Third, if the situation evolves, keeping you on the line saves time in updating the rescue services on the way informed of any changes since the initial call. And I believe if they learn that an injured party is the one making the call, they keep them talking to help treat them for shock - keeping you on the line may spare you from slipping into unconsciousness.

There is a lot of value in asking you those inane questions, I think.

:(
Jason, would you please re-phrase that statement?

It is true and has happened more than once. Even after the emergency vehicles arrived. Somebody at 911 was just trying to act like a big shot.

Frank, now that you've given more information, I understand your point of view. My response to your original statements were toward the idea that they were just curious and wasting time. I had no idea the services were on the scene at the time.

Usually they seem to be in a rush to get off the phone once the rescue crew is on scene and your experience does sound unusual and like a pure waste of time and I would agree with you now that I have more info :)

well any way you look at it its better with the 911 call then without it.. when a child can remember the three numbers to get assistance its better than trying to remember a 7 or 10 digit number..

owning a business in one of the highest crime areas of NY city Ive called 911 Id guess 3-5 times a year since 1978.
the response has always been immediate, and the 5 or 6 times we accidently set off the silent alarm the response was amazing, sometimes within 60 seconds.(fortunately, we never paid a fine, and eventually I had the panic buttons on our key chains shut off, and the one the manager kept banging his knee into)

I knew it was a fantasy when the 911 operator answered. I have never successfully completed a 911 call. I have only called them a very few times. Each time I finally hung up after listening to a recording for 5 minutes or so.

I had that experience in SoCal, too. 911 seldom answered directly - it was usually a recording telling me over and over to hang up unless this is an emergency, and that "Your call is very important." If it was so damned important, why didn't they ANSWER IT?

I've used them twice (fortunately, on behalf of others, and not me or my family) here in NE Ohio, and both times it was answered on the first ring.