Dust collection systems

Peter Murphy

G'Day Folks

I'm in the process of fitting out a small workshop, essentially it is 8.5 X 6.5 metres, skillion tin roof, 3.6m tall on the high end and 3.0m on the low end.
The major piece of equipment will be 5 in 1 combination machine, but it will also have a 3 hp bandsaw, and possibly a Shopsmith mark 7 combination machine, ( for small volume woodturning and minor back up to the main machine.
My question concerns dust extraction what would be the most cost effective/ appropriate
dust collection system to employ. My intention is to make furniture predominantly and other associated stuff. I hope to be busy!
My whole endeavour at this point is to make the workspace as comfortable, and practical as possible, i believe dust collection is integral to this, but i haven't won the lottery just yet, so cost is a sobering factor.
Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions appreciated even the rude ones as long as they are funny.

Cheers

Pete Murphy

Pete, quite a few of us have the Harbor Freight dust collector. It can be had for as little as $149.00 on sale. It works very well.

I recently got rid of my Shopsmith. It's a great tool:thumb: The older I get the more difficult it was to change it around. That's the only reason I sold it. Should of kept it just for the lathe :(

Pete, first let me welcome you to the Family. You'll like it here!

I agree with Bob about an HF or similar DC to start with. My first DC was a Penn State that's almost identical and I had no problem with adequate collection from several machines. I used flexible 4" tubing in that layout with blast gates in a couple of locations. Your configuration will depend on your specific equipment and its dust collection capability, of course.

One option most people don't have is to blow it outside, no filters needed and much quieter. You just need the fan that can handle the chips. If you live in populated are thats probably not going to work