New to this forum but not woodworking

Thanks again for all the welcomes.

We use a thing called a "gin pole" to lift heavy timbers up and set them on top of posts, plates and other structures.

It makes light work of heavy objects and it is somewhat safe to use. As long as you understand how to use it, and use it properly.

Jim Rogers

Jim, that looks like it would be fun to use. I like your term "somewhat safe".

Welcome Jim, you sure have got a great resume.

Looking at your video is there any reason why you could not have put a gambrel roof on that barn frame? Would it not have given you more height on the second story?

What wood is used in the video, for the frame?

Are logs or wood used for the timber framing process fully dried? and if so done before or after cutting.

Reason i ask is i have seen on my shop porch where my builder used 6x6 timber to hold up the side of the roof, that the log has twisted around the center. Of course this is Borg pressure treated lumber but at the end of the day its still a log.

Really great to have someone of your calibre join our forum you obviously have a ton of knowledge accumulated in all that experience.

Welcome Jim, you sure have got a great resume.

Looking at your video is there any reason why you could not have put a gambrel roof on that barn frame? Would it not have given you more height on the second story?

What wood is used in the video, for the frame?

Are logs or wood used for the timber framing process fully dried? and if so done before or after cutting.

Reason i ask is i have seen on my shop porch where my builder used 6x6 timber to hold up the side of the roof, that the log has twisted around the center. Of course this is Borg pressure treated lumber but at the end of the day its still a log.

Really great to have someone of your caliber join our forum you obviously have a ton of knowledge accumulated in all that experience.

Thanks for all the welcomes and the kind words.

If you are talking about the time lapse video of the frame we just put up, he didn't want any overhead storage. It is just a shed for his tractor. The little green shed in the back was too short for his roll bar and he had to get down and lower the roll bar every time he drove in or out.
I designed the frame based on his size needed and the intended use.

After we had it all done and the timbers milled he started talking about adding a built in ladder to the frame.

I asked him for what? He said so he could get to the top storage area. I told him that I hadn't designed the tie beam to carry any load as he told me there would not be anything stored up there, when we discussed the use of the shed. So, I asked him what did he intend to store up there that he would need the built in ladder for. He said, "well, lumber of course"..... He's a wood woodworker you know.....

The frame was made from his own trees that he had taken down over the last fall and winter. They were mostly all maple, but some shag bark hickory as well. The only thing that wasn't maple was the rafters and collar beams. I made them for him from eastern white pine logs here at the sawmill.

Most all timbers used in timber framing are green when the joints are cut into them. Then the frame is erected and they dry in place, hopefully holding them straight and true. You look at the grain when you're selecting logs/timbers to make sure you don't have any spiral grain ones that will twist as they dry. Some straight grain ones will twist anyhow.

I hope that has help you some.

Jim Rogers