Keepsake Box

Ron Roase

Well here we go again with yet another box. This one however is a little different as there is no hardware and yet it has a levered top with a secret compartment. It is made of Red Oak & Walnut, and it is 8 inches wide and 12 inches long and 7 1/2" high. I am attempting to take pictures durring the build, but am not the best with a camera so ...... I started out with a piece of oak 7 1/4" x 42" And layed it out so as the grain would follow around the box and began cutting them all to length.
1 A.JPG
Next I lmarked out where the holes were to be drilled and did that at the drill press. This will later form the base.
2 B.JPG
Then I put a 45% chamfer on the outer top edge of all 4 pieces at the router table.
3 C.JPG
I then set up for datoes and rabbets at the saw table for the bottom and the top.
4 D.JPG
I used a japanees saw to cut the angle on one end of the front and back that will make the top move.
5 E.JPG
Now it is time to cut all the miters (never really got comfotable with this) so I used my slede and a stop. I cut a 45% one end of each piece first, then set up a stop block and cut the other end so both pieces will be a good match for length.
6 F.JPG
I then cut out the bottom and did a dry fit, it looks good so on to glue.
7 G.JPG
Next I did the cut out at the band saw for the base and sanded all the inside parts of the box as now is the best and last time to do that.
8 H.JPG
Now ready for the glue up, I always like to rub glue on with my finger on the end grain and let it set up then do the regular glue up as end grain sucks it up like a spong and I think you get a stronger joint. I also put some tape on the inside corners to eliminate glue squeese out.
9 I.JPG
Now with the help of some more tape I fold up the box sides and slip in the bottom. Add a couple of band clamps to ensure all mitters are tight.
10 J.JPG
Now all I can do is wait for the glue to dry and cut out the piece for the top from a piece 3/4" walnut. Will return soon with more.:D:thumb::rofl:

Very cool, Ron. I like the foot details, too. Thanks for going to the trouble to take the photos along the way. :thumb:

Right On Kerry, It just looked like a nice project to do. I always give away most all my boxes as LOML says we only have just so much room for display around here:(:D:thumb::rofl:

Well now that the glue is set up and I have one of many trips out after all the leaves that keep falling, seems like every year there are more ... mabe Im just getting older. Anyway now I have cut out the parts for the false bottom.
11 K.JPG
Now I can cut the slots for the keys, 4 in each corner so sixteen of those little keys to be sliced of what was left from the top.
12 L.JPG
Now that these are all in just a couple of hours drying time and I can finish sanding the outside of the box.
13 M.JPG
I have cut out the top and checked to make sure it is fitting the way I want.
14 N.JPG
15 O.JPG
Now every thing is complete, I put some BLO and shelack along with a coat of wax. Wanted to have a soft look when done.
Keepsake Box.JPG
By pushing on one end it raises the top up so you can remove it.
Keepsake Box Lidd lift.JPG
Then by pushing on the false bottom it also lifts out of the way to reveal a space for all that secret stuff you just don't want any one to find.
Keepsake Box False Bottom .JPG
And thats about all the trouble I can get into on this project, except of coarse now I have to find a recipiant for the box. Allin all it was a fun project and I always like doing the small stuff the best cause you can change directions as you go, thats what makes it fun.:D:thumb::rofl::rofl:

Almost forgot one more picture of what it looks like under the false Bottom. It gives you a 1 1/4" space for hidding what ever.
Under the False bottom.JPG
Not that it really matters but as long as I had the picture.......

Almost forgot the last picture of what is under the false bottom. It gives you a 1 1/4" space to hide what ever.
Under the False bottom.JPG
Not that it really matters but as long as I had the picture .......