Vertical Lumber Storage Method

glenn bradley

I have been wanting some verticle storage for longer material for awhile now. I finally decided I wanted the storage more than the freezer that was in the way of me getting it ;). I'm off work today so I got up and slapped this together.

This is basically a copy of the method used by the lumber yards I use. Same rack has been in place at one yard (on a massive scale of course) since the old guy running it today was a kid riding a bike to his dad's yard to help out. LOML got me a couple of pieces of the junk ply that they use to separate loads in the trucks that deliver to her work. There is an angled base that allows airflow underneath and a stand off to protect the wall a bit and act as a rail for the dividers.

Vertical Lumber Storage 001.jpg Vertical Lumber Storage 002.jpg Vertical Lumber Storage 003.jpg Vertical Lumber Storage 004.jpg

It is centered in the shop to take advantage of the tallest part of the roof line. I have 40" side to side. This shot is with me standing on the platform looking up.

Vertical Lumber Storage 005.jpg

The plywood is ugly stuff but, well suited for this and it keeps it out of the landfill ;-) Although intended for the longer stuff currently burdening my wall rack, this will serve nicely to hold the stock I am using on my current projects for now.

Vertical Lumber Storage 006.jpg Vertical Lumber Storage 007.jpg

It is so nice to not have all that material leaning up against stuff in every available space and generally being in the way while I try to use it up.

Last edited:
Every time I see how clean and well organized your shop is I don't know whether to envy you or fear you. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nice rack, by the way.:D

My dad and I were talking about that this weekend. My compulsive neatness is a broad misconception. I have learned to be organized in self-defense. If I clutter the areas where you are meant to stand or walk, I will trip (my grace is a hereditary gift :D). If I set a tool down among my work as opposed to reaching over and placing it where it goes, it will vanish. Its true. I have lost things without even leaving the room. I have lost things without ... even ... taking ... a ... step! :huh:

Also, there is just the plain safety factor. With few exceptions, injuries I have suffered in the shop resulted from clutter. Over-reaching to get something because a pile of wood or a row of clamps were laying where they hadn't oughta. Jabbing a finger on something hiding in the shavings that should have been on a peg "over there" somewhere. I am not neat for neatness' sake. I am organized in an effort to protect me from myself :rofl: .

Rennie wouldn't it be fun to sneak into Glenn's shop some night & disorganize it a bit & have hidden cameras to take pic's of his face the next time he walk's into his shop. Shhhh don't tell Glenn....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now that sounds like fun!:rofl:

If I set a tool down among my work as opposed to reaching over and placing it where it goes, it will vanish..
Hmmm. Maybe I should be a bit more like you. I spend about 30% of my time in the shop looking for something I 'just put down'. :rolleyes::rofl:

Looks like it'll work great. I wish I had that kind of space. (And that much lumber.)

I keep hoping Glenn will sneak into my shop and neaten things up a bit. :p

Where'd the freezer go?

And more imporantly... angled base? :huh:

The freezer is looking for a home and the angled base (there is a kicker at the wall so the bottoms of the boards set out about 7") frees me from having to fool with chains or some other form of retainer out here in earthquake land :thumb:.