Christmas Bell

Hi Bernie, Now it doesn't even come close to one of yours but this is my first attempt at the bell and segmented turning. The glue up needs to be a lot better as I lost a couple of pieces and i am not happy with the maple scrap that I used and I need wayyyyyy more practice. :eek: I didn't make the handle just the bell as I wanted to see how it would turn out even after the chuncks flew off. I just buffed it outside to see how the colors looked. All and all it was fun. I do need to be way more picky with my selection of scraps though.

Attachments

• First attempt at bell 003.JPG
    First attempt at bell 003.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 19
  • First attempt at bell 005.JPG
    First attempt at bell 005.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Not bad for a first Drew. Most of my scraps are 1/8" for the accent piece and 3/4" for the outside pieces. I have found that if I joint one side of the 3/4" pieces it makes for a much better glue joint.

Thanks Bernie I did joint one side of the glue up before cutting it. My main problem was the glue up. I didn't get enough glue on the wood and that was the reason it let go. Lesson learned. :D I do realise that I used too large a piece in middle too. Next time better results ( i hope )