Tools purchased

Can be used in woodworking. Actually will be used in hauling firewood. From my firewood pile I find all kinds of nice spalted pen blanks. Someday when I learn to turn bowls, I'll be pulling those types of blanks out of the pile also. So, I guess this set of tools are woodworking related. Now this is not a picture of them, themselves, it is a representative photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/3321937612/lightbox/

Norwegian Fjords.

Hope to pick them up Saturday morning in Bourbonnais, IL. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

This is a photo of them this spring.

http://www.waverlysales.com/Horse-Sale-Highlites.html

Lot 338 and lot 339 you have to scroll about 1/2 way down the page. The pair of 4 year olds.

Last edited:
My knowledge of horses is wide spread. I know they eat at one end and spread it wide from the other.

Before he died, Myrna's brother had some horses. I would go with him on buying trips. We might go out in a field of 30-40 horses. The owner and Ralph would be there doing horse talk.

HOWEVER, all of the horses would crowd around me, who has ridden a horse once. They would crowd each other trying to get close to me, who is skitterish about horses and wished they would go crowd Ralph. Some horses would, in a very gentlemanly way, get my sweater or shirt between their teeth and gently pull me towards them. The horses would be packed in so tightly that there was no place to go. Horses would be stretching up over other horses trying to get closer. Every horse in the field would be there.

This happened several times in Colorado and California. It was definitely not a one time event.

Enjoy,

Nervous JimB

Beautiful team, Jon. :thumb: I wanna see a video of them in action. :D

Jim, you're gonna have to stop wearing that carrot-scented cologne. :rolleyes: :rofl:

My knowledge of horses is wide spread. I know they eat at one end and spread it wide from the other.

Before he died, Myrna's brother had some horses. I would go with him on buying trips. We might go out in a field of 30-40 horses. The owner and Ralph would be there doing horse talk.

HOWEVER, all of the horses would crowd around me, who has ridden a horse once. They would crowd each other trying to get close to me, who is skitterish about horses and wished they would go crowd Ralph. Some horses would, in a very gentlemanly way, get my sweater or shirt between their teeth and gently pull me towards them. The horses would be packed in so tightly that there was no place to go. Horses would be stretching up over other horses trying to get closer. Every horse in the field would be there.

This happened several times in Colorado and California. It was definitely not a one time event.

Enjoy,

Nervous JimB

Jim, some guys buy a car because it has a "chick magnet" in it, they attract chickens and such. I guess you have "horse sense" does the same thing, but without the car.;)

Nice looking mares Jonathan. :thumb:

Yes, my first pony was a buckskin so think that is why I have always lusted after a team of Fjords.

Congrats, and best of luck working wood with them.

I have some work to do with them before they will actually be hooked to a log. They are only 4 so can't have to much experience. But if they are represented correctly, they should fit right into my farm's program.

Beautiful looking animals Jonatha. Ok how big a pens are you planning to turn? :eek::rofl:

It's not how big, it's how many we can drag up to the pile!!!!!!

Nervous JimB

:rofl::rofl:Ya got it Jim!!:thumb::thumb: Did or do you smoke or chew? Some horses are as addicted to nicotine as people. Otherwise, some horses seem to enjoy making people feel uncomfortable.

Beautiful team, Jon. :thumb: I wanna see a video of them in action. :D

I have never made a video of any of my teams working. That would be a new one for me, a u tube video. Will look at Lou's camera and see how it does video. I'll let you know!:thumb:

Good looking pair Jonathan:thumb: I just may have to take a trip down there next summer to see them in action:)

I'll have to see that log at Larry's, might see them in your neck of the woods. Don't want to jinx a team that hasn't even gotten off of the trailer yet. :dunno::doh: You would be welcome anytime.

hey jonathan yu gettin the harness too??

Nope. Deal is, the woman that bought them this spring is in the hospital with pnuenomia. After she bought them, through a mutual friend this guy went and fitted her harness to them. Evidently she never drove them this summer. Her sister called this guy two weeks ago and wanted him to haul them to a sale in Iowa. He took them home and drove them every day. Another forum for horse farming I participate in he asked for a value. Obviously we know she spent 2400 dollars buying them this spring. I talked with him, provided my email address, we talked on the phone. He got hold of her yesterday, she accepted my offer. After I get them home I will finish this story.

I have harness from old teams that were bigger and smaller than these, should have something that will fit. Going to move CJ's pony to the pony barn across from where the pigs were in the barn. They will go in the corral with Ginger (the mule in my avatar).

Way to go on the purchase their Jonathan. Congrats i hope they turn out the way you want them.

Another incentive to get me down there. They look real pretty in the picture.

My wifes boss says a lot of these working horses have been getting sold or sent off for slaughter since the economy turned. He has seen many up here that had a team have to let em go.

Good scoop for you. Personally my knowledge of them is totally zero but the prices seem pretty cheap to me. At least when gas runs out you gonna be ok.:)

ok ,,because those harnesses that were on them were sharp set of harness.s

They have an every day work harness on. I bought years back a nylon harness. Lighter in weight, stronger psi, can hang on the fence and hose off with a garden hose and water. Hope that set fits them.

Way to go on the purchase their Jonathan. Congrats i hope they turn out the way you want them.

Another incentive to get me down there. They look real pretty in the picture.

My wifes boss says a lot of these working horses have been getting sold or sent off for slaughter since the economy turned. He has seen many up here that had a team have to let em go.

Good scoop for you. Personally my knowledge of them is totally zero but the prices seem pretty cheap to me. At least when gas runs out you gonna be ok.:)

This is my first set of registered horses. 7 of the 9 I have originate from the mare I had in High School. I hope they work out also. Tess traded her team of mini mules for a QH gelding over the internet sight unseen probably 10 years ago, that worked out as he was a top notch horse. So hope this holds true for these girls.

Nice looking team Jonathan. :thumb: You're gonna have alot of fun with them.

We've always had light horses, mostly QH, but my uncle was a keen draft horse guy. Wish I had paid more attention there.

I might have to come for some lessons.

Nice looking team Jonathan. :thumb: You're gonna have alot of fun with them.

We've always had light horses, mostly QH, but my uncle was a keen draft horse guy. Wish I had paid more attention there.

I might have to come for some lessons.

Thanks Peter, I plan on having a lot of fun and getting a bunch of work done with them. I grew up racing trotting ponies. Any that weren't fast enough were broke to ride and sold or used by our family. Before I got into high school we had at home (in town) enough horses and ponies and tack that all of us with one friend and mom and dad could saddle up and ride at one time! We about went bankrupt here once, sold everything but this 40 acres and buildings. Went all the way back to my roots and used a team to spread manure while I was shoeing and training horses for extra money. The last 10 years I have had a couple here and there that drove but not a real "team" that worked in harmony together. So am looking forward to that. Anytime you want lessons, you just let me know, going to have a fancy smancy couch in my family room that you can camp on!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: