SketchUp Tutorial

Dave Richards

For the one or two SketchUp users here, I thought this might be useful info if you haven't seen it already. It's on inserting components into a SketchUp model. I used the method to insert the drawer pulls on this drawing table I've been flogging and I use it any time I need to insert hardware such as screws, hinges, latches and so on into a project.

By the way, does anyone have any interest in how I create the soft shadows from multiple lights sources for my SketchUp models? Would that be worth a tutorial?

Last edited:
Great tutorial, Dave. Thanks for putting it together. :thumb: I need to walk though the steps a time or two to learn them better, but it helps solve a problem I've always had in placing components.

...By the way, does anyone have any interest in how I create the soft shadows from multiple lights sources for my SketchUp models? Would that be worth a tutorial?

Personally, that's a few notches above my current skill level. I'm still wrestling with things like component placement (hopefully not much longer, thanks to your tutorial), but there may be others here who could put some shadow tricks to good use.

That was a good one. I knew some of the fussy little problems I was having resulted from "creation point" parameters and now I know what it is. Thanks much Dave, as usual. I primarily us SkecthUp for working out the aesthetics of a design idea I have. I then also use it for quick 'what if' and dimensioning tasks. As such I don't use shadows much but, I still find it fascinating to learn how you do things like that.

Thank you all.

Art, one of my editors also found it ironic when I pitched the idea of a drafting table to them. I suppose it is but it worked for the guy who commissioned it. i kind of think it's funny, too.

Vaughn, after a little practice it should make sense. If you have any trouble though, drop me a note.

Glenn, I suspect most folks use SketchUp the same way you do. That's perfect. In the blog post I wrote before the one on placing components, I mentioned drawing only what you need to get the job done. It's easy for some folks to want to draw all the details just because they can. At the end of the day, though, it's still just a bunch of 1s and 0s in a computer. You have to get out to the shop and start cutting up real wood.

That said, sometimes adding some details like the shadows can help communicate to others if you need to do so. It can also help you see how parts will work together. Those shadows can be design elements. I've seen some things that looked good except when the light cast shadows that overwhelmed the piece.

Bob, is it the component thing or the shadow thing you're looking forward to? In any case, you're welcome.

Dave, actually it's the whole 9 yards. I've downloaded but haven't got past first base yet. I used to do fairly well years ago on a simple Cad program, can't remember the name. Just gotta jump in and get going on it I guess.

I went to school for mechanical engineering (quit after I realized you needed to know math and couldn't party 24/7 if you wanted to pass) so I'm more comfortable around a drafting board than a computer.

Like some of the others said, I've downloaded Sketchup and gone through some of the tutorials but I've barely scratched the surface. My problem is being real familiar with a software product I learned many years ago that we used for flow charts and system diagrams - Visio. It's 2D, but I can draw something in top, front and side views and "see" the result. I know if I would take the time to learn Sketchup I would only have to draw a single element once rather than three times (or more), but..........:huh:

Bob, let me know when you're ready.

Bill, I can help you out, of course. :D

Drawing separate 2D views is fine but can potentially lead to errors because there's little or no cross checking between views. I have an excellent example of that.

We had this house designed by an architect who has many years of experience. He only drew 2D views. I wanted to look at it in 3D so I worked off his scale views. When I got to the roof I discovered that he had drawn a roof that couldn't be built. It wasn't something that could be determined just from the elevations, though.

And as you point out, Bill, 2D views can easily be created from a 3D model. Having the option to make both is handy. As you know, some folks just can't convert 2D drawings into 3D in their heads. So when you need to show someone else what the project should look like, a 3D perspective view is nicer.

Dave you make it all so easy:)

I would like to add to this specific post a business comment aimed at those that aspire to selll their work or already do.

When one considers this kind of feature and sketchups 3D capability and then takes cognizance of the fact that we use the phrase " a picture is worth a thousand words" the value add to be obtained by the custom woodworker in using sketchup in this manner could and can be used as a very large differentiation in their marketing.
Sure it takes alittle learning but the benefits and ability to truly satisfy the customer and avoid misunderstandings would make up for it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk