WIP turners coffee table. Finished

I know not everyone likes these artsy pieces, but the ex-daughter in law asked me to made her a Steve table. She don't want anything anyone else has. So i just started building and this is what my warped little mind is coming up with.:rofl::rofl:The walnut is some that a friend of ours from MI droped off a couple years ago. the maple burl is some i got off a tree at work. The center brace and the circle with the hollow form ain't glued or even sanded yet just sitting there for the pic.:) Thanks for looking and all comments or ideas are welcome.
Steve

Attachments

• 006 [800x600].JPG
    006 [800x600].JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 061 [800x600].JPG
    061 [800x600].JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 029 [800x600].JPG
    029 [800x600].JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 030 [800x600].JPG
    030 [800x600].JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 033 [800x600].JPG
    033 [800x600].JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I love it. Reminds me of something out of a (well to do) cottage in a fairy tale. That is a one of a kind and a guaranteed conversation starter for years to come.

i too like the inlet burl steve in the top and the ends,, the rig is ok but the hollow for is to much bling.. when are you gonna finish it that is gonna be sharp with finish on it:)

I'm having a hard time where to start. The piece is FABULOUS. I mean it. I especially like the dovetail butterflies, where the chocolate is parted.

The hollow form seems a little out of place there, even though it has a really cool finial. Maybe a flat piece of burl in it's place? Dunno.

But man, what a fine piece. It shouts, "Artitst and Craftsman" at work.

I really like it. I'm undecided about the hollow form...I kinda like the suggestion for a flat piece of contrasting burl, though. (The hollow for looks great on its own, though.) Bottom line is to make what the customer wants, and I'm sure whatever she decides you'll be able to do it nicely. :thumb:

Stephen this piece screams to me that you should do more .
I love everything about it. Particularly the fact that you chose to put the hollow for where it is.
Why? Well not only does this say "independent mind" but to me its great fresh thinking. We are so conditioned into how things should be. But since when did the void under the average table add anything aesthetically to its area that the table mass as a whole occupies. Your design makes the table whole.
Personally i trully believe you should really consider doing more arty woodworking stay loose and free to express yourself please dont conform.
This is a memorable piece. Most tables we see we then forget what they looked like. This one keeps you thinking of it. Its inspirational thought provoking entertaining man i think any gallery would snap it up. DONT CHANGE IT TO APPEASE PLEASE.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Amazing work, I'm sure it will really POP when you get some finish on it :thumb:

I don't mind the HF at all, I think it is very cool, but is it the same walnut as the majority of the table? I would want a contrasting wood, even some plain old Maple with a jet black finial on it, but I'm just picking at little things :rolleyes:

Does the customer have kids? If so I bet that cool looking Finial does not last long..... :eek: :rofl: Curious little fingers you know.... :D

Great piece!

Outstanding and beautiful!! :thumb: I'm in the camp of putting another piece of flat burl in place of the hollow form...but as others said, the person paying for it will make up your mind for you!

Well thanks again all. Erin stoped by last night and after looking at the table, she wants it just like the pic shows Hf and all. The HF is gum burl and after talking to her i am dying it blue, with a black finial.
Stu she does have a dauther, my grand dauther, the one that i use as my avatar:D She is real good about taking care of stuff that papa builds. i have even had her out in the shop with a bowl gouge in her hand helping me.;) I'll make sure i get some finished pics when i get it done.
Steve