A Large Format Humidor

I got the frames built for the door of the lower cabinet....
lower_cab_door_frames_1.jpg

I hope to glue up the panels tonight and get the doors finished tomorrow.

I have a bit of a question, I do not have a "Back Cutter" style of raised panel bit, and I want the panels to be flush with the door frames, as I think they will survive longer flush than proud of the door frame, so can I just us my raised panel bit on both sides of the panel to make the panels sit flush to the door frame, any reason I can't/shouldn't do this? If you can understand what I mean.... ?

You can use the raised panel bit to undercut the back side. Just adjust the height of it to give the proper thickness on the edge for the groove in the stiles and rails. It will give you a nice profile on the back side.

...I have a bit of a question, I do not have a "Back Cutter" style of raised panel bit, and I want the panels to be flush with the door frames, as I think they will survive longer flush than proud of the door frame, so can I just us my raised panel bit on both sides of the panel to make the panels sit flush to the door frame, any reason I can't/shouldn't do this? If you can understand what I mean.... ?

That works quite well. I've done it that way several times. It looks much nicer than just using a rabbeting bit for the under-cut.

I agree with both Alan and Jim. Just beware, you will only use a small portion of the front cutter when cutting the back. The floating panel is not in the center of the rails and stiles.

Well to finally get back to this thread, I've been very slowly plugging away at this job, I never seem to find the hours, and when I do lately, I'm always getting interrupted.

The inside of the base unit is all covered with the Spanish Cedar now, and I'm working on the doors, I did end up buying the matching cutter for the door set I have, with the back cutter on it, it was just easier that way.

door_panels_rough.jpg

Face and one side jointed, ready for the thickness planer.

door_panels_glue_up.jpg

Gluing up panels

door_panels_handplaned.jpg

Getting rid of the glue lines and doing some minor smoothing.

door_panels_end_trim.jpg

Trimming the ends on a quicky TS sled I threw together.

That's it for now, I hope to get these doors done, then I can move on to finish and getting the base out of the Dungeon, I need the work space!

Cheers!

Still plugging away at this, lots of other things, getting in the way, but I did get the doors glued up!

I don't doubt you have many things pulling at you, but I also get the feeling this project just does not have the excitement in it for you. I have a couple of those from my "honey do" list and one of them I hope to finish up this weekend. Sometimes it is difficult to get motivated to get it done or even start.

hey stu, I finally purchased a 3 pack of hockey tape from dicks sporting goods, and ya know what, it works wonders for me with the clamps. I can now grip them and tighten/loosen them without putting on gripping gloves.
thanx for the tip.(I still have to wrap alot of my clamps, but Ive done some of them)

A lot has happened since April, but I'm finally getting back to work on this project.

First up is building the enclosure that the water tank sits in, this will be used to keep the humidity in the humidor at the correct level.

Basically it is a box in the base of the unit that will have two computer fans pushing air into it and a vent letting humidified air out that will travel up into the main part of the humidor.

The top of and front of the box will hinge open to allow the tank (a very large tupperware type container) to be removed for cleaning.

The top back of the box will be attached to the inside of the humidor and has a vent hole in it.....

IMG_4540_zpsda18d65a.jpg

This piece is made up of plywood and some thin Spanish Cedar.
IMG_4539_zpsc1f2d738.jpg

I cut both pieces on the iCarver......
IMG_4538_zpsd4446b41.jpg

I realized later I should have laminated the two pieces together then cut them out, but hey, it's a learning experience right? :)

With the iCarver cutting things out I can duplicate parts very easily and quickly. For example to make the vent hole, I would have had to drill two large holes then get out the jigsaw and connect them, so to speak. It took me maybe 5 minutes to make the file on the computer then put the board on the iCarver, then I just hit go and walk away and do something else. Now this only took maybe 5 minutes to cut out on the iCarver, but other cuts can take longer, so while the machine is working on one thing, I can work on another.

I also did the lid that lifts, this time I did laminate the pieces together first and then cut out that two 9cm holes.

IMG_4541_zps05fe6403.jpg

that is the lid that will lift to allow access to the water tank.

IMG_4542_zpsab6a90d6.jpg

Here with the two computer fans in place.
The fans will be hooked up to a humistat to turn them on and off when the humidity drops or reaches 70%

Once I get this enclosure built and installed, then I can hang the doors I built, and finish the base of the humidor, and get it over to the L shop so I can have some space to get to work on the main unit. I really want to get this thing out the door, need to move on to other things!

Cheers!

OK, I got the box for the water tank done!

IMG_4544_zpsb2a7c601.jpg

I've got to run the wire yet, but this is basically done.

IMG_4545_zps8d5ae8cd.jpg

Opened, with the water tank accesible.

IMG_4546_zps41f20684.jpg

Here is the chimney, that directs the moist air up to the top unit.
Now on to the doors, then finish.

Next up the glass doors!

Finally I'm back on the humidor!

humidor_top_dry_fit_zps1f6fe7af.jpg

That is the dry fit for the box of the top unit that will sit on the bottom unit that I finished in September :eek:

humidor_top_glueup_zps14122a6c.jpg

and it is glued up!

I hope to get the Spanish Cedar cut and planed to line the inside, I sure hope I have enough left to do the whole inside. The I have to cut up and plane all the Maple to do the front of the case and the door frames, these doors will be glass, which I've not done before, but the glass shop down the street has been helpful and has told me what they can get and that it takes about a week to get it.

Now a question, do you think I should go for regular clear glass, or smoked glass?

I think I can choose a light or a dark smoked glass.

As it is a retail shop, I want the product to be visible, but I'm thinking that maybe a light smoke might looks nice....?

I'm also thinking of putting some low heat LED lights inside that would come on when the doors are opened, good idea or bad?

Cheers!

PS I cannot tell you how happy I am to be back on this, I really, REALLY want to get it done!

Excellent. Always good to get back to something once started. Other tasks and just plain old life in general can sometimes derail us for longer than we would ever expect. Glad you are getting some time to dedicate to what is sure to be a great addition.

PS I cannot tell you how happy I am to be back on this, I really, REALLY want to get it done!

P.s. Thank you Stu. The check is in the mail for you helping me not feel so bad about the 6 months and more it often takes me to complete a piece for my own home. Sometimes I think everyone gets their stuff done before me :p.

Looking good.

If you're doing clear coat on the maple I'd say either clear or light smoke on the glass. If you're only lighting the case when the doors get opened, then I'd lean towards clear. I'd think that a good part of sales are impulse and if they can't see the cigars or they aren't presented well, then those sales may be lost. Just my .02...

I finally snuck some time in for this job, really I want to get it done, it's been too long and it always seems to be the first thing that gets put on the back burner.

I got over one hurdle today, I am really close to finishing the inside of the unit. I had to slice up a bunch of Spanish Cedar and then apply it to the inside of the humidor.

upper_spanish_cedar_lining_zpseb8c04c7.jpg

The humidor is on it's side.
I still have some sanding to do, but it is almost there.

The wood is all Spanish Cedar, but the one board had a LOT of character to it, so I put it on the back of the humidor, I think it looks really nice.

I have some left over so I hope to make some nice boxes or something out of it, very pretty wood.

Now I have to build a face frame then make two very large glass doors, I need to figure out the glass size so I can go order it.

Cheers!