New Irons: We have a problem

Have a couple new plane irons showing up today. What do I need to do with them once they show up? Should I check the backs for flatness? I suppose I will need to sharpen them?

Last edited:
Flatten and polish the backs. This is the slow part. Then you can probably get away with a very small secondary bevel at an angle just a couple degrees steeper than the primary bevel, and hone and polish that up.

Also - if it's for a smoother, you might want to add in a little camber.

Flatten and polish both backs. Unless they're Veritas blades, they'll need it. Even the Veritas will need polishing.

Both should be reasonable sharp when you get them, but will need honing. You may want to add a micro-bevel as well.

For good quality new blades, it shouldn't take much more than ten minutes per blade.

No camber on either one, but you might want to ease the corners on both of them. Three or four strokes across the stone on each corner should suffice.

Ok the iron won't work in the #7 as it is now. It hits the mouth right as it exits. Do I need to back-bevel the mouth?

Got the frog moved all the way back? :rolleyes:

Blade may be too thick, but I've been able to use blades as thick as 0.125" in some of mine. Lie-Neilson sells "Stanley Replacement Blades" that are 0.093" thick. If all else fails, you can carefully file the mouth to make the blade fit. Collectors won't like it, neither wil 'purists,' but it's YOUR PLANE, so do what you want with it. I've filed a couple of mine...

If all else fails, you can always try that blade in a 4½, 5½, or 6. :D

Try backing the frog towards the rear of the plane. What is the thickness of the iron? If it's .090" it'll fit. If it's .125", you might have to open the mouth, but don't change the plane until you've exhausted all other options.

I just checked the LV site. Their replacement irons are .100, so it should fit without changing the mouth. Fiddle with the frog, that should get it going.

Steve i think its picture time anyway.:rofl:

Glad you being the test bed.:)

This could be a great learning experience for many of us with old planes that have in mind to change the blade.

Think i will start a new discussion on this topic.

Forgot all about this:(

Got it up and running. Not real pretty, but it does what it should. Hopefully the tour de wood will come this way next year and I can get trained on use.

Forgot all about this:(

Got it up and running. Not real pretty, but it does what it should. Hopefully the tour de wood will come this way next year and I can get trained on use.

well i dont know if there is much interest in another "Tour De Wood", steve, but i would say that if it isnt fitting right yet you might still have some movement needed in the frog area.. or perhaps the frog you have isnt made for the plane you got,, sometimes folks trade parts to make a whole plane to unload at flea markets,, i have seen 3 different parts on one plane before..