iPhone panic

Frank Fusco

My daughter had a major scare and near total breakdown yesterday. She uses her iPhone for work and many other things. Her contacts and data base is crucial for her.
Well, yesterday she updated the iPhone. In the process she saw all her data deleted. Gone, as in wiped out. :eek:
Did I say something about panic? :thud: :pullhair:
Yes, I did.
Oh, nebber mind. Two hours later, after much weeping and gnashing of teeth, it all miraculously reappeared. :bliss:
So, if you update yer iPhone, leave the scotch on the shelf. ;)

:D

Yeah, they wipe the device, update the firmware, then restore it as part of the upgrade.;)

Had co-worker doing the same last week, had never done an update before (or back up for that matter).

I applied the update to my iPhone Friday, and made the mistake of disconnecting my phone from the computer before it was done. Took a fair amount of jiggling the handle to get things back in place, and I'm still getting a message about the incomplete upgrade when I plug the phone into iTunes. Everything seems to be working as expected, so I'm figuring the error message is in error.

I can understand your daughter's anxiety when she saw everything go poof. :eek: Chances are pretty good, though, that she has backups of the phone's contents. She may not know they are there, but I believe iTunes does the backup automatically.

On a semi-related note, my dad told me yesterday that he recently switched to a iPhone, and he's loving it. :thumb: I'm so proud of the old guy for embracing new technology. :D He reminds me of Jim Bradley...just taller and not as handsome. :p

Yes, the Verizon store told me today about the iTunes back up thing.
I enjoy my iPhone and use many of the features. But, really, I don't feel I need it. A basic cell phone with text would do me very well and at much lower cost. We had to purchase added stuff today because my wife uses hers so much. :(

I dont know anything about the new generation phones, but wouldnt your daughter have all the info on the phone backed up somewhere, like contacts and anything else important so if the phone is stolen she can have all the info?

Yeah the iOS5 update on my iPad was a little scary but after many hours it was restored by the update process. I went ahead and did my phone too.