Natural Bridge...

Ned Bulken

I really need to go there with better light... but here's where I was yesterday:

060783b9.jpg

Great Place to Visit

I take my grand children there frequently. In the immediate area there are is a nature park with tons of animals roaming around looking to be fed (you can buy buckets of feed) which the kids really like. There is also a zoo (pretty so-so) and within fairly reasonable driving distance, there are quite a few caverns. All in all, a wonderful area. I've been stuck in SC for too long and can't wait to get back up to the Virginia mountains and see the leaves.

Even from this side of my computer screen, I wouldn't want to be under that formation. But it is beautiful.

Wait a sec, Jonathan... Look at it this way. If you are UNDER it, you might, possibly, have a split second warning and a chance to get out of the way. But if you are ON TOP of it... where you gonna go when it drops out from under you? :huh:

Hey Ned, any idea how thick it is? I was quite surprised to read your comment that a road goes right over top of it.

Edited to Add:

Found it: Here is a google maps link, that takes you straight to some photos. (click any of the small photos in the top left to see other uploaded photos -- the one I have linked to has a guy rapelling down!!! -- or click the small x in the top right of the photo (not the window!) to close the photos and go back to the regular google map satellite view.

Very cool!

Last edited:
Wait a sec, Jonathan... Look at it this way. If you are UNDER it, you might, possibly, have a split second warning and a chance to get out of the way. But if you are ON TOP of it... where you gonna go when it drops out from under you? :huh:

:rofl: Same type of thinking here, when folks ask me why I use the Detroit/Widsor tunnel instead of the Ambassador bridge to cross the Detroit river...I tell them...'it's simple, if something were to go wrong, I can't fly, but I can hold my breath and swim'.

Great shot Ned! :thumb:

Art,
I'd estimate it is at least 50-60' thick... it is approximately 220' to the base of the bridge. There is enough room for a good sized 2 lane road (US rte 11) which means it holds big rigs with ease. They have wooden fences up on both shoulders (security or privacy?) about 8' off of each shoulder.

I've got a shot looking straight up... will gimp it later this evening.