Anyone turn Magnolia?

Chuck Ellis

I never have, but at our art group meeting this past Tuesday one of the ladies showed up with a couple of pieces in the trunk of her Cadillac and asked if I wanted more... the pieces she had were small...(she's a frail little thing in her late 70 or early 80's and these were pieces she could lift)... the wood looks nice and close grained, not a lot of figure in what I could see, but I followed her to her neighbor's house to see what the rest of it looked like... had to go home and get my truck... they had a whole tree laying on the driveway, about 14-15 inches at the base and probably originally about 30-40 feet high... looking forward to trying some of it.

Magnolia is a pretty nice wood to turn but if you allow it to lightly spalt it is downright beautiful. The key here is to let it lightly spalt and develop white spalt lines. The contrast between the natural color of the wood and the spalting is terrific.

I was given several nice pieces a couple of years ago and enjoyed turning the wood.

Sorry I don't have pictures handy.

I never have, but at our art group meeting this past Tuesday one of the ladies showed up with a couple of pieces in the trunk of her Cadillac and asked if I wanted more... the pieces she had were small...(she's a frail little thing in her late 70 or early 80's and these were pieces she could lift)... the wood looks nice and close grained, not a lot of figure in what I could see, but I followed her to her neighbor's house to see what the rest of it looked like... had to go home and get my truck... they had a whole tree laying on the driveway, about 14-15 inches at the base and probably originally about 30-40 feet high... looking forward to trying some of it.
Hi Chuck; I only ever saw one piece of Magnolia, and it was a root at that!

attachment.php

Nice figure, easy to turn, as well as takes on a great CA finish!