PC 14" Bandsaw Question - Answered by LOML!

Bill Arnold

Staff member
I'm thinking about buying a 14" band saw and took a look at the PC while in Lowe's this morning. Yeah, I already have a 17" Grizzly that I use for resaw and everything else. Changing blades isn't a big deal but it would be nice to have the smaller band saw for already set up for action. Do any of you have the PC 14" saw or are you familiar with it? Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:
get a used delta or rockwell, bill leave the new stuff alone, or look at a rikon 14" maybe a grizzly 14"[/QUOTE

Although I have no experience with a PC.....the Used Grizzly I got a Year ago has performed admirably even though the bearings did go on it. I looked at the price of The grizzly.....and in my opinion, the saw has no peers for the price.....couple that with Grizzly's legendary service after the sale, I think I would go with this one.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Bandsaw-3-4-HP/G0580

For $395, unless there is a 5% off coupon out there, cant beat it. Also with Xmas coming, I am sure that they will be running a sale you can take advantage of

I've lookes at the PC one too...pretty much the same as the rigid at HD and the grizz if you ask me. Don't know anyone with one, but as Dom said, lots of good reviews of the Grizzly 14".

I've looked at Grizzly (3/4 & 1hp) many times over the past few years and never could justify pulling the trigger. Now that I'm back in my shop a lot, I'm getting the itch a bit more. The cost comparison: Griz @ $395+$74 shipping=$469; PC @($399-5%)=$379+$27tax for $406 total. Still thinkin'. :huh:

Bill, I love my G0555, which I kept for small blades when I got my MiniMax MM24.

I had a 10 inch Delta, which was useless.

I then got a 14 inch Jet, with no dust collection, fence, quick release, etc. When I saw the Grizzly, I recognized the same castings, etc., but with the extra features. Someone visited my shop and said "that's my dream saw, if you ever want to sell it... " and a week later I had the Grizzly.

I was very active on the Ridgid forum for years (as a happy owner of a Ridgid tablesaw). The Ridgid Bandsaw did not have a good reputation on the Forum - I don't recall the issues, but I wouldn't touch the 14 inch Ridgid bandsaw.

A couple years ago I had to do a demo on a Rikon. I spent hours the night before aligning it, and finally got it working well. By the next day it was hopelessly out of alignment - even if someone else had used it, they sure messed it up. I know some folks like Rikon, but I am now gun shy.

I've looked at Grizzly (3/4 & 1hp) many times over the past few years and never could justify pulling the trigger. Now that I'm back in my shop a lot, I'm getting the itch a bit more. The cost comparison: Griz @ $395+$74 shipping=$469; PC @($399-5%)=$379+$27tax for $406 total. Still thinkin'. :huh:

For me, the extra $60 for the Grizzly would be worth it for the potential of better service. Also, I've glanced at the P-C bandsaws at Lowe's, and they don't seem to have as heavy of frame castings as my 14" Shop Fox (a.k.a. the original white Grizzly).

Depending on how patient you are, you might be able to find something comparable (or even better) on the used market for less money.

For me, the extra $60 for the Grizzly would be worth it for the potential of better service. Also, I've glanced at the P-C bandsaws at Lowe's, and they don't seem to have as heavy of frame castings as my 14" Shop Fox (a.k.a. the original white Grizzly).

Depending on how patient you are, you might be able to find something comparable (or even better) on the used market for less money.
Thanks, Vaughn. I'm definitely leaning toward the Grizzly after reading the comments here. I've checked craigslist and the only items near me are junk, so far.

Thanks, Bob. That was a heck of a price for the 555!

The 580 will suit my needs since I have a 17" Griz already. Their ad in the current Wood Magazine lists it at $375 plus $69 shipping starting Nov.1, so I might just have to go for it! :)

bill i have no grizzley tools but i have seen enough of them in other folks shops and have heard there praise of them for me to look at them in the future tool purchases,, and everyone says there service is top notch..:thumb::thumb:

Thanks for your input and comments on this, guys. There are times I wonder how LOML can tolerate me, although I'm quite a lovable fellow! :rofl:

I mentioned seeing the PC saw at Lowe's and she said she thought I'd been looking at Grizzly.

I said, "uh-huh".

Next thing she wanted to know is why I didn't just go ahead and order the Griz. :huh:

"I dunno". :dunno:

Next thing, she emailed an extensive review about how Grizzly's band saws compare to others.

I replied, "Thank you." ;)

She replied that she thought I shouldn't get the G0580, but the better G0555.

I said, "I dunno." :dunno:

After hearing all of the justification from her, how could I refuse to submit to her authority? :thumb:

After all, she just bought new shoes! :rolleyes:

One G0555 is on its way. Well, it will be - soon. :bliss:

Last edited: