tech info-appliances-RANT

larry merlau

ok last wknd was not a good one for me, the sewer had troubles and that lead to a washer problem..not emptying the tub after it was done washing.. assuming the sewer caused the trouble i tried to back flush the pump and got water to come into the tub and then tried to spin out the water and no dice.. so siphoned it out.. now here comes the rant... went tot eh manual to see how to get at the pump..no directions on that or even a picture of it..just if no pump call technician:(:( so if you call technician to come they get a said rate just for showing up, when a builder comes to look at a job he doesnt get a set rate. its usually free and after he starts the work then you are paying for his time.. so what makes them special??? now rant part two.. why cant a consumer get a tech manual on how to get the cover of said appliance to try and fix it them selves.. where are the Chilton manuals, like for autos at for appliances?? i ended up getting it apart and got the pump changed out and all is well now, but this is after i practiced my french some and had some choice instructions for the company that sold this and wouldnt offer a parts list and manual showing how to uncover the machine...so where are these tech manuals at??? they must exist ,,or the appliance guys wouldnt know how to get into them or where to look for the dismantling of them..

Is it a front or top loader?

I usually go to http://repairclinic.com and put the part number in. Sometimes they have the diagrams there. If it's a front loader, they usually have a drain trap at the bottom in the front, may have to remove the front panel. If it's a high efficiency, be sure it is definitely unplugged (I figured you would for the motor, but even for emptying the trap). They usually have an inverter in those models for converting 110 to 470.

Last edited:
went to there site bill, and hit manuals for the model and got a spot to get the same thing i got when i bought it.. and darren it is a top loader.. like i said its fixed now but why cant we have a real manual for them?:D

Larry I completely agree with you about the lack of manuals, and that trying to buy parts is like pulling teeth. When we asked similar questions here in Japan we were told that if they had manuals to fix a busted pump on a washing machine (I replaced one on our machine a couple of years a go too) then the stuff that would have to be written to stop the average consumer from injuring themselves trying would be a very large burden. To save themselves from the class action lawsuits they stipulate that only trained techs are supposed to work on their machines. You can thank the likes of the guy that cut off his fingers on the table saw, the one with zero training and on a saw that the guards were removed as well as the lady who spilled hot coffee on herself and sued.

I do understand and share your frustration.

darren i didnt see the rest of your thread till after i replied.. that site is helpful for sure..now i just need to find the right machine and will book mark it..thanks for the help....:D:thumb::thumb:

perhaps its time for a newer machine ol' son? you can only push that model just so far....

the one we have is newer than the one you show,, but we do still have the rack to hold the rinse tubs and the ringer in between..but its porcelain so easy to clean over the old wooden one before this new one.. and way easier than the washboard in the creek ..;)