New to me TS

Jeff Bower

I picked up a new to me tablesaw this past weekend and finally got it cleaned up enough to use last night. It's a mid 80s craftsman 1HP with steel wings. When I went to look at it, the owner told me he spilled a quart of oil on the top about 8yrs ago and he never clean it up so it hasn't been used since then either. Everything worked, the oil was only on the top and a bit running down the right side onto the moble base and it sounded good when I turned it on. I got it home and it took about an hour to get the oil off (used sawdust from the floor) and then I scraped some gunk off with a flat blade. (pic 1 & 2) I went at it with some 220 grit sandaper and WD40...the surface is still stained a bit from the oil, but smooth as glass and has a good coat of paste wax on it now! (Pic 3) I think I now have my shop set up the way I want it, until I change my mind again...The best part is I sold my old tabletop delta for $50 last night....I only paid $45 for the new saw! :D

Attachments

• p_00471.jpg
    p_00471.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 100
  • p_00472.jpg
    p_00472.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 91
  • p_00473.jpg
    p_00473.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 101
  • p_00478.jpg
    p_00478.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 103
Thanks guys...going from the one pictured below to the new one is like night and day. :)

Attachments

• p_00464.jpg
    p_00464.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 54
Nice! You fared a lot better than my Vikings did against the Pack this weekend. :doh: :thud:

Since you've essentially go zero dollars in it so far, that saw would be a good candidate for a decent thin kerf blade, and possibly a Delta T2 fence upgrade.

Scott, I think Ponder shows promise...so the future might look bright for your team. :dunno:

Yes a new blade is in order...hope to pick one up very soon.

Got that very same saw, only I gave a hundred bucks for it. Got rid of that awful fence and got a T-2 from Tools plus for about $150. It's a really sweet fence.:thumb:

You got a great deal and you can hang a bigger motor on there real easy. Enjoy your new toy.

that is a clone of what i started with and still have it jeff collecting dust...now..
one suggestion is to put wood on each side of the fence.. more weight and will protect blade mishaps on thin rips when you forget what your doing..:D:thumb::thumb:

that is a clone of what i started with and still have it jeff collecting dust...now..
one suggestion is to put wood on each side of the fence.. more weight and will protect blade mishaps on thin rips when you forget what your doing..:D:thumb::thumb:

Thanks Larry, my dad has done the same on his old rockwell 9" TS. Two smart guys suggesitn it makes me think maybe I should do just that. :thumb:

Congrats on the deal, saw and sweat equity. :) Jeff.

Now is there something in the air or is this the start of the end of the spinny vortex on our board??? :);)

1st Mohammad is converting and at a rapid pace
2nd Vaughn scavengers a flat bed sander
3rd Jeff upgrades table saw........

The slide has begun i see lathes hibernating in the corner this winter :) shame.....):

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Congrats on the deal, saw and sweat equity. :) Jeff.

Now is there something in the air or is this the start of the end of the spinny vortex on our board??? :);)

The slide has begun i see lathes hibernating in the corner this winter :) shame.....):

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Well Rob, my lathes are already in the corner...they like it there! They won't be hibernating though. :wave: They will be out to play all winter long, but now I can do the flat thing better too....Sorry to dissapoint...:rofl::D:)

1. He still has more lathes than saws
2. Two words: Segmented turning
3. See #2 above

:p :rofl:

End of the vortex? Never! Bwahahahahahahahah!!!!

Oh yeah...congrats on the saw, Jeff. :thumb: