Would you look at that Martha?

My wife flew to Houston yesterday for a week. She and the twin 19 month old granddaughters are going trick-or-treating next week. Seems like a long way to go for a bag of candy to me.

When they install a cochlear implant, they insert a cable into the cochlea of the inner ear being implanted. The inner ear is involved in providing feedback for balance and equilibrium. Since I had my surgery, I stagger a bit when I walk. I am sure it will eventually get better but......

I sure hope the neighbors didn't think I was drunk when I took the garbage out to the street this morning at 0730...or when I go work in the yard in a few minutes.......

I can hear the conversation:

"Would you look at that Martha? His wife's gone again....it's 7:30 and the old fool is drunk and staggering around outside again. Wouldn't be so bad if he'd keep it in the house but going out in public......Do you think we ought to notifiy his oldest son the deputy sheriff? It's a shame to see the father of a public figure out in public staggering, walking in a curved line like that...........":eek::rofl:

Last edited:
.............and I haven't had a beer in over 6 weeks................right now....I could not drive to the micro-brewery to get the Scotish ale.......

OK, let's start a collection for Ken's Christmas present; a shirt with letters big enough to read from across the street:

"I'm not Drunk,
I'm a Cyborg!"

Leave it to Glenn. Oh well.

I am not telling you anything you don't know academically. However, it might make you think about it more on a personal level.

I have been going to the Gym regularly for a few years. I have a personal trainer. He said that the sense of balance drops off with age. What the trainers have older people do is to stand on one foot. Reach way out and tap a styrafoam brick in front of you. Reach way back and tap another brick. Reach way out to the side and tap yet another brick.

To start do this 10 times a day. Tap the bricks, in random order until each brick has been tapped 10 or more times. Repeat standing on the other foot. This sure helped me.

"on the other foot" was underlined because of a story Myrna tells about her father.

It seems that Frank and a hired hand were out doing something with a team and a wagon. The hired hand was a real nice person. However, he was deliberate and a tad slow. He said, "Frank, Can you move the wagon? It's on my foot. A moment later he said, "Frank, Can you move the wagon again? It's on my other foot."

With that I will leave you to your drunken shenanegans (so I cannot spell).

Enjoy,

JimB

I think you should go wander around your front yard, waving your arms and shouting "What are you looking at?!" to no one in particular.

That'll shut 'em up. :rofl:

Wow :) here i thought if i lost my hearing all those voices talking to me would disappear :)

I like the pilgrim idea get the right hat though:)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

That's right! It was supposed to arrive today ;-)

(read with an evil mad scientist voice) Booo-whooo-whaaa-haa-haaaah.

P.s. I blame Larry for fanning the flames of my deviant sense of humor . . . . . We make a good attack team, thanks Larry!

Last edited:
My Dr talked to me about the implant. I couldn't do my job wearing one. Having to put on & take off my mail satchel dozens of times a day I'll probably would keep knocking it off.

Chuck.........I was forced to retire because of my sudden deafness. My left ear died July 7, 2010. My right ear had lost most of it's hearing in 1999. Without hearing, it was dangerous for me and the CT and MR scanners I maintained. So, I retired. 12 years ago the doctor didn't recommend a hearing aid for my right ear due to the type of hearing loss I had. When the left ear died, he suggested one as it is the only hearing I have. In the word test using the hearing aid, I scored 10 % last December and I can tell you it's gotten worse since that test. That hearing aid can't be worn in the presence of x-rays or magnetic fields so I could not wear it and work. Now that I'm planted, the sound processor portion worn on the ear, same scenario. Can't be used in the presence of x-rays.....I have to have surgery to remove the small rare earth magnet on the implant before I can have a MR scan...thus I couldn't work once implanted. Retirement was the only option once I became deaf. Luckily for me I was old enough and had worked long enough for my large corporate employer, that I could take a full retirement.

Beyond that, one has to qualify for a CI (cochlear implant) before insurance companies will pay for them. They are extremely expensive.