plane question

ken werner

Here's one I'm pondering. Which new plane to buy?

Admittedly, I am a planeaholic. I've got 3-8 Stanleys, [ok, one's a Union and one's a Record] and a 4 1/2, all nicely fettled, some with LV or LN blades, and most work very nicely. I also have a LN 9 1/2 and a low angle 102 [or 103 -whichever is the LA].

So I'm thinking about a LN 4 1/2, perhaps a 4, or a LV LA jack 62 1/2 with a 25 and a 38 degree bevel blade. I figure they could all be had for about the same. Found a used LN 4 1/2 for about $250. Or maybe I should just ignore my addiction and wait for this foul urge to pass.

It seems to me that the esthetics of the LN are nicer, but that given what I already have the LV LA jack will add more to what I can do. [BTW This is all Mr. Clardy's fault as his purchase of three LN 4 1/2s got me going on this kick.]

Anyway, I'm looking for your thoughts....Thanks in advance,

Ken

ken, i have a simple philosphy `bout handtools in general..antiques even though not cutting edge as far as metalurgy goes will alway appreiciate in value.....if you`re looking for beauty as well as function look to norris or spears. the older planes besides having really cool "karma" just tickle my fancy much more than unblemished cnc percision......tod

Well, I will toss you out another perspective. This from the frugal, careful with his money, old tool side of woodworking.

Are you buying these to use or look at? Cause if you really plan on using them you can buy several old planes for the price of one LN. And if properly fettled and sharpened I seriously doubt you will tell any practical difference. Then you can take the money saved and spend it on wood for the next project.

Nothing against LN planes! I just can't see spending that much when there are so many used one floating around out there. I am looking for a shoulder plane and since collectors have driven the prices out of site I am considering buying a new Veritas shoulder plane. Otherwise I buy old ones and save the money.

I hear you Jeff, BTW, I have the LV med shoulder and love it. Came to the same conclusion you did about the older Stanleys and Records being priced way high.

But to answer your question - I own 2 small LNs and they are better than the best tuning I could do on my old record 60 1/2, or a Stanley block. I think the thicker blade and the wider support platforms do make a difference. I would buy the plane to use, not just to look at. And I agree with your premise - I'm not sure I could do anything more with it. That's shy I'm asking, to see if those with wider experience can tell me.

And yes, I'm also frugal [downright cheap] and thoughtful about how I want to spend money on my tools, that's why I'm having so much trouble with this.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Ken

Admittedly, I am a planeaholic. I've got 3-8 Stanleys, [ok, one's a Union and one's a Record] and a 4 1/2, all nicely fettled, some with LV or LN blades, and most work very nicely. I also have a LN 9 1/2 and a low angle 102 [or 103 -whichever is the LA].

So I'm thinking about a LN 4 1/2, perhaps a 4, or a LV LA jack 62 1/2 with a 25 and a 38 degree bevel blade. I figure they could all be had for about the same. Found a used LN 4 1/2 for about $250. Or maybe I should just ignore my addiction and wait for this foul urge to pass.

It seems to me that the esthetics of the LN are nicer, but that given what I already have the LV LA jack will add more to what I can do. [BTW This is all Mr. Clardy's fault as his purchase of three LN 4 1/2s got me going on this kick.]

Anyway, I'm looking for your thoughts....Thanks in advance,

Ken

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Me, I would go and buy a new LN 4 1/2. I have several LN's and find them great users with minimal fussing. AND, this weekend Woodcraft is having a LN sale, that spells instand gratification.

Are you sure you have a 102/ 103? Or do you have another LV plane with a different number? The reason I ask is that Lie Nielsen makes both the #102 and the #103. Both are great tools, don't get me wrong, and the only difference between the two is that the #102 is a low angle (12 degrees) and the #103 has a high angle (20 degrees). Just trying to figure out just what plane you do have.

...or a compass plane (don't know anybody making them now, but they come up on EBay ever now and then and I get a kick out of mine)?
ECE makes new compass planes as does Anant.

Thing to watch for on the Bay as regards vintage compass planes are cracks in the flexible plate where it connects to the bottom of the frog. The frog casting is also known to crack.

I agree with Ken. Vintage are great, got a few. Well, OK. More than 3. The offerings from LV and LN, though, are superior planes. From the difficult to crack bodies to the adjusters to the thicker irons.

If I were only going to purchase a single new plane, it would the the low angle Jack from LV and the extra iron with the steeper bevel.

Second would be a bronze or iron #4 1/2 from LN or the #4 1/2 from LV. Excellent planes.

The two of these planes can handle 90% of most users needs, depending on the scale of the work. If using for smaller work, substitute a LN #3 for the #4 1/2.

And don't forget block planes. The little LN bronze #102 is my most used block, along with the low angle LV. Again, the thicker irons and adjusters are tops.

Take care, Mike

clarification

Travis, I've got a 102 iron LN.

Mike, you've summed up my thoughts pretty well. So you think the LV LA jack should come first, seeing that I've got that whole other bunch? That's my latest idea anyway.

Ken

Hi Ken,

The LV LA Jack is just such a versatile plane. Same with the LA smoother, but you've got that fairly represented in the other bench planes.

The LN 4 1/2 I would also get with the HA frog, seeing how you have a 4 1/2 already.

The LA jack can l do a great amount of smoothing work, depending on what you build. But for panels and cabinet tops, it's great for smoothing. The again, so is the LN 5 1/2, which is Charlesworth's weapon of choice.

fwiw, the scale of my furniture pretty much dictates I use a 3 or a 4 for most smoothing.

Take care, Mike